Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MPG on 12.5" and 11.5" wide tire

Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG on 12.5" and 11.5" wide tire

What is the MPG you got on your 11.5" or 12.5" wide tire? I just wanna find out the relationship between tire width and MPG, thx guys.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Well, pretty much it works like this. The wider the tire, the more contact patch, the more rolling resisitance. The wider the tire the heavier it probably it is. So, regardless what you're trying to accomplish, if you go wider than stock you will suffer slightly at the gas pump.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

For the same tire, generally the narower one gets better mpg due to lower rolling resistance, and worse handling and braking, flotation, offroad ability, all due to less contact patch, etc.

Some tires are low rolling resistance designs, and have low hysteresis losses, so one 12.5" wide tire can for example get better mpg than another 11.5" wide tire, etc.

Alot of the choice also is based upon if you bought the jeep to get great mpg, or great off road ability, etc...

Some people get one set of rims/tires for the daily commute, and, when they plan an offroad trip, they have another set mounted and ready to go with big fat meat...that way, they do not wear off the deep lugs on the off road tires going to work and back every day.

As for the mpg differences between 11.5's and 12.5's...the other factor is how many miles you actually put on the tires/yr, etc....as in the actual number of gallons used might not be enough to worry about, or it might pay for the second set of tires, etc.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:46 AM
JK Freak

i'm getting about 15 on my 33/12.5
Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Thx guys. I think I'm gonna grab another set of rim/tires as I drive my jeep mostly for going to and from school.

Quick Reply: MPG on 12.5" and 11.5" wide tire