Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Moving the Rear Axle back

Old 09-17-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving the Rear Axle back

I had to unprofessionally saw away some body frame in the rear to clear 37's (front has ample room with metalcloaks) and was wondering what labor would be involved to move the rear axle back a few inches. There is much greater clearance behind the wheel. Also any thoughts on specific spacer kits?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Idk about spacers.. but longer control arms will push it back.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can move it back a little so that it clears the front of the rear wheel well. I ran 37s with 1" of bump stop and had no rubbing. A little trim of the pinch seam was all. I'm talking like moving it back around a 1/2". Keep in mind that at full compression, the axle is pushed back. I had mine back about that much and ended up having to trim the rear of the wheel well also. More than that and it is time to start doing some serious cutting.

In addition, you will want to move the track bar bracket on the frame side and also relocate the coil perches on the axle. You will need a custom driveshaft as well. And obviously, custom arms unless you get one of those RK kits. That's all if you want to go further back than say a 1/2". Really just not worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D2.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	624737
Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
You can move it back a little so that it clears the front of the rear wheel well. I ran 37s with 1" of bump stop and had no rubbing. A little trim of the pinch seam was all. I'm talking like moving it back around a 1/2". Keep in mind that at full compression, the axle is pushed back. I had mine back about that much and ended up having to trim the rear of the wheel well also. More than that and it is time to start doing some serious cutting.

In addition, you will want to move the track bar bracket on the frame side and also relocate the coil perches on the axle. You will need a custom driveshaft as well. And obviously, custom arms unless you get one of those RK kits. That's all if you want to go further back than say a 1/2". Really just not worth it.

Attachment 624737
Thanks for the response. I found you to be one of the most knowledgable members on here. Im fine now as is with the 37's but was considering how to manage 40's once its no longer a DD.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Do you currently have adjustable control arms?
Checked your profile and did not see what you are running for suspension. Running any lift? If so how much?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Do you currently have adjustable control arms?
Checked your profile and did not see what you are running for suspension. Running any lift? If so how much?
Yea I need to update profile and pic. Have had so many mods this past year. 3" lift with fox reservoir shocks front and rear. THanks for the response.

Quick Reply: Moving the Rear Axle back