Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Moving to 35s

Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to 35s

I'm finally making the move to 35. Like many of us, I got 33s figuring it would hold me over until they wore out and then I would move up. Well after a year, I can't wait any longer. Thankfully I got my 33s used so I wont be taking that much of a loss. I've narrowed it down to three tires. All will be in 35x12.5x17. I want as true to a 35 on road as possible. Not a 35 that measures 33.9"

1) Nitto Trail Grapplers- heard great things
2) Goodyear MT/R-K - always appealed to me
3) Fierce Attitude - the price is very appealing

I'm looking for something that is going to perform well on road and off. I live on the east coast so I see a mix of sharp rocks and slick mud. My wheeling would be contained to Windrock, Harlen, Rausch, and other east coast parks. I go to school in Virginia and live in NJ, so I do a 400 mile drive 7-10 times a year. I also see a fair amount of snow every year. Last couple years I was driving through 2 feet of snow at times.

So requirements
1) I like a hum of a MT but don't need it sounding like a train while I drive.
2) On road performance is a must, including 400 mile highway drives of 75mph
3) Good snow performance
4) East coast wheeling, mud & rocks
5) Strong sidewall

For wheels I was looking at MB Razors. The 5-127's are available in black which is what I was looking for. They are 8.5" wide with a -6 offset. I'm not sure how that translates to BS but I know for 35's I need 4-4.5" of BS. They are pretty similar to the Level 8 trackers which also have a -6 offset and I think they are a pretty popular choice.

Any input on the tires and wheels would be great

Also, just preparing for the 35s I have an artec truss/gussets on the way (thank's to Cody with overland off-road) and will be purchasing a steering brace and rear bumper with tire carrier.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Just a thought concerning any mud tires, I may be wrong but mud tires don't usually perform well in the snow, the way the lugs are set up on most mud tires you won't get good traction in the snow as the void zones will get packed with snow. As for the wheels you'll probably need to get spacers to avoid rubbing, 4.5 back spacing is usually required for 35s. With 6 back spacing you're looking at near what the stock wheels are. 1 1/4 inch spacers should solve that though if you're set on those wheels.

Just a thought but like I said I may be wrong, other people should chime in.

EDIT: also regarding the true size being 35" you should be looking at near 37s, no 35 is gonna come out true to size once you put a bunch of weight on it and air it down to the right pressure

Last edited by Havok287; 07-25-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Havok287
Just a thought concerning any mud tires, I may be wrong but mud tires don't usually perform well in the snow, the way the lugs are set up on most mud tires you won't get good traction in the snow as the void zones will get packed with snow. As for the wheels you'll probably need to get spacers to avoid rubbing, 4.5 back spacing is usually required for 35s. With 6 back spacing you're looking at near what the stock wheels are. 1 1/4 inch spacers should solve that though if you're set on those wheels.

EDIT: also regarding the true size being 35" you should be looking at near 37s, no 35 is gonna come out true to size once you put a bunch of weight on it and air it down to the right pressure
I think a -6mm offset is a 4.5" back spacing on a 8.5" wheel but I'm not sure. I think that's the minimum for a 35x12.5 but I also don't know if I want to go with just the minimum.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

That may be true, I though -12 was 4.5 but I'm not sure. Wheels can get confusing. I think mine are 8.5 and -12 which came out to 4.5 I thought. But I can't remember off the top of my head. I know they make conversion charts online for figuring it out
Old 07-25-2015, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

That may be true, I though -12 was 4.5 but I'm not sure. Wheels can get confusing. I think mine are 8.5 and -12 which came out to 4.5 I thought. But I can't remember off the top of my head. I know they make conversion charts online for figuring it out
Yea I found a chart but I'd rather get confirmation from random strangers on the internet
Old 07-25-2015, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
Yea I found a chart but I'd rather get confirmation from random strangers on the internet
^Thats funny right there.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Mts do great in the soft snow. It's the hard pack and ice that's a problem for them
Old 07-26-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

So any input on tires or if the wheels will work?
Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the mb razors on mine. If I am reading correctly are you doing 15 inch rims? I have 35x1250x15 on mine but I have the ka to tires. I love my setup and I believe the figures you are stating are all the same. Since they are DTD wheels I would reach out to rep on here.

I just went out and took a pic but it is raining like a b!@ch atm I also went from 33 to 35s and they do not measure true but neither did my 33 Terra grapplers

Last edited by Rubicon91; 07-26-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150726_131517.png
Views:	165
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	619334

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150726_131517.png
Views:	165
Size:	358.8 KB