Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MoTech V8 conversion - 3 1/2 year review...

Old 05-30-2018, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default MoTech V8 conversion - 3 1/2 year review...

So I feel like it's time to provide an update on living with a MoTech v8 for 3 1/2 years and provide a testimonial to the outstanding customer service of MoTech and Advance Adapters.

Bottom Line: I still look back at my rig every time I walk away from it. It's amazing how great the drivability and quality has been with this vehicle.

So, in the same theme as that original post, I'll discuss drivability and customer service.
A bit of a refresher (and an update) to what I have installed. In the fall of 2014 I had MoTech install an L96 6.0L and 6L80E transmission. I opted for the tap-2-shift, upgraded (larger) radiator and Adam’s front/rear driveshafts (1310 front, 1350 rear).

Since that install, I’ve had them install an Atlas 2-speed TC, updated accessory brackets, and the Camaro SS variable speed fan, and updated programming. I had MoTech do the TC install since the rig would be there for the cooling fan and accessory bracket updates. The cooling fan upgrade was my request so that I could remove dependency on the TIPM for engine cooling. The accessory bracket update was based on improvements by MoTech on the bracketry that holds things such as the AC compressor in place. My initial install required spacers at certain locations, their updated brackets do not require this. Lastly, the Atlas 2 was installed at my request as I had already decided to do this install and asked if they would do it so I wouldn’t have to do it in my garage.

Drivability:
  1. So since the engine install, I’ve put 45,000 miles on the vehicle. During that time it’s remained dependable and as civil as I want it to be (or not). I’m now running 37 inch tires and 4.88 gears which is a bit more aggressive than Robbie (MoTech owner) recommended (he said 4.56 gears) but I prefer the lower gearing.
  2. I’ve put 45K miles in 3 ½ years and that includes driving it from Fayetteville, NC to Las Vegas a couple times as well as from Evansville, IN to Tuscon, AZ (and through Utah and Colorado) and multiple trips from North Carolina to Missouri. I think that demonstrates that it’s been a reliable vehicle and can handle extended travel.
Customer Service
  1. I referenced in my ‘1 year report’ that I had some issues with the cooling fan not kicking on at times. This was eventually tracked down to an issue with my TIPM and had nothing to do with Robbie’s install. He worked with me over several months, was always patient, and provided advice and parts (when needed) without cost to me. Once I determined it was the TIPM I replaced the TIPM which fixed the issue but gave me apprehension about relying on the TIPM to ensure my engine remained cool. Because of that, I chose to have Robbie install their Camaro SS variable speed fan which runs off the GM ECM and has no input from the TIPM. This upgrade actually caused my engine to run 20 degrees cooler (199-204 instead of 220-225).
  2. I’ve always been a firm believer in supporting ‘Made in America’ and local businesses whenever I can. In this case, I have been rewarded by this belief. So, like I said, I’ve put some serious highway miles on this rig. This turned out to cause a problem immediately following the Atlas TC install. I picked up my rig from Robbie (in Vegas) and 10 hours later the transfer case came apart just outside Oklahoma City and resulted in a hole in my transmission. The output shaft on the TC seized. This caused the driveshaft to twist the yoke off the transfer case. Once the driveshaft broke free of the transfer case, it beat a hole in my 6L80E. This occurred in the matter of a few seconds (way faster than I could get it onto the side of the road). I’ll discuss the cause for this failure further down, but want to focus on the customer service of MoTech and Advance Adapters right now. I sent Robbie a text at 6am telling him what happened. I really didn’t expect much (shame on me) as I assumed it was something I had done. (Robbie had driven/tested the jeep for several weeks prior to me picking it up with no issues) I got a text and a phone call from Robbie within minutes of my text saying that he would take care of everything. MoTech paid to have my rig transported from Oklahoma City to Vegas. Once there, MoTech and Advance Adapters conducted a bit of forensics on the rig and set about repairing the vehicle. The repairs were paid for by MoTech and Advance Adapters. Both of these companies stood behind their products and went far beyond my expectations. Once the repairs were complete, MoTech paid to have the Jeep transported to me (from Vegas to Fayetteville, NC). While some may read this as a horror story, I see it as success and reaffirmation that businesses like MoTech and Advance Adapters really do care about their customers and take pride in their work.
  3. Lastly, I want to say again (I have almost every time I’ve talked about MoTech) that their techs (and Robbie) take so much pride in their work that they won’t let someone else’s poor work slide by them. Every time I’ve had my vehicle at his shop, they end up pointing out something they ‘didn’t like the looks of’ and fixed it at no charge. That’s beyond great customer service, that’s an obsession with doing the right thing.
The transfer case failure…. So, the issue with my Atlas 2-speed transfer case. A few guys have had their seals melts when the Atlas got hot and this caused the oil to leak out of the case. In most cases, guys see the leak and catch it before a failure occurs. I didn’t because I was driving it for pretty much 10 hours straight before the failure. I also don’t hear very well anymore and so didn’t hear anything out of the norm while driving that would have indicated an impending failure.

An Atlas does not have an oil pump like the 241 (OEM Jeep transfer case), runs heavy gear oil rather than lightweight ATF and is gear driven rather than chain. What this means is heat is built up at highway speeds if you don’t have unlocking hubs (I don’t yet). The Atlas uses an aluminum case and tapered rollers on the output vs the 241. This means as the case expands (from the heat buildup, up to 8 thousands) the clearance changes the seals begin to leak. In my case, I had the ‘perfect storm’… enough heat built up over enough time without knowing the transfer case was leaking out the gear oil. Eventually I had a dry transfer case and this caused the front output shaft to seize. Once that occurred, the front driveshaft broke loose and beat a hole into the side of the transmission.

If I had unlocking hubs, this would not have been an issue. To be honest, I think most folks that have a V8 and an Atlas also have 1-ton axles (hence unlocking hubs) and so would not have seen this. In my case, I’m ‘building as I can’ and the axles are on my horizon, just not at the same time as the Atlas.

Steve (sales manager) from Advance Adapters spoke to me multiple times through the repair process. He assured me there should not be any limitations for freeway driving in 2WD and spoke about changes they’ve made in how the output is shimmed. Advance Adapters absolutely stood behind their product. Not only did they replace the transfer case free of charge, but they reimbursed MoTech (I don’t have details) for the repairs to my rig.

I sent a copy of the above to Steve and asked how he felt about me posting this. He added the below information (all of which is spot on) and was okay with what I’ve said. That speaks volumes in my book that they are okay with a review of their customer service. Steve pointed out the following.
  1. You are running a little lower R&P gearing than we normally run so driveshaft speed is higher and gear speed in the transfer case is higher.
  2. Your original transfer case was a 5:1 which is lower than we recommend in your application. The input gear and high speed gear are smaller and increases cluster gear speed. The 5:1 was noted on the original order not recommended for the application.
  3. Most rigs running 5:1 cases are low horsepower rigs and unable to see the extended time/speed on the freeway so not an issue.
  4. Exhaust routing was closer to the transfer case than we liked without a heat shield and transferred more heat to the T-case after 10hrs of driving.
  5. The case did not have a lot of miles and still had the break in oil in it. So we still had assembly lube in the oil. If we would have had 500-1000 miles on the case and beak-in oil changed before the trip. This would have “help prevent” a failure but still probably failed before you got home.
  6. Last we know at Advance Adapters the front output was shimmed slightly too tight during assembly. This created even more heat in the front bearing and was the major contributor to the failure at long highway speeds.
In today’s world, it’s rare to find a company that really means it when they say they stand behind their product. I’d say it’s unheard of to find two companies, MoTech and Advance Adapters, that demonstrate this and work together to ensure the customer is happy.

For reference, this is what I put in my post at the 1 year mark (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-6l80e-327156/ )

Last edited by jedg; 05-30-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review.

I'm just under a year on a MoTech "budget" conversion. I had Robbie install a 5.3L LMG engine and 6L80 transmission on my 08 JKU. When Robbie did my conversion he had just developed the EZ motor mounts and the MoCan. My JK ended up with a prototype MoCan and had a few issues. I will say Robbie's customer service is outstanding and he did everything possible to keep me happy. Last month he upgraded me to the latest production MoCan module and the issues seem to be gone an everything is running great.

One thing I figured out. For those considering the conversion, get the updated radiator and fan. Thank me later. I had the stock radiator and fan at first. It just could not keep up. My JK now has the dual-pass radiator and Pentastar fan. My temps now normally run 190-195. I do haul a small travel trailer at times so depending on how it goes this summer I may have Robbie do the Camaro SS fan upgrade.

My engine was out of a 2010 Silverado PU with 31,750 miles. I recently sent an oil sample in for a UOA. I was very happy to find the engine is in great shape with no abnormal wear metals.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got just over 2 years on my Motech 6.0/6l80 swap done by Motech on my 08 JKU. I started off with the HD radiator upgrade last year added the camaro SS fan and billet brackets. Like Jedg I think the billet brackets were worth the cost, cleaner install than the original brackets. The Camaro SS fan is such an improvement over the original fan and absolutely keeps the engine cooler.

I've had nothing but great service from Robbie and his team. I had to warranty a leaking radiator which they took care of quickly and easily and the process of getting the SS fan and having my computer reprogrammed was smooth. I'm planning on installing Mitch's custom tune for the 6.0 next week and have no doubt it will unleash some of the power that the stock conservative tune isn't using.

I'd recommend Motech to anyone looking into an LS swap, whether using a kit or having them do it.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for posting your review!

I am a newbie looking at a 5.3 swap from MoTech. This review and positive comments towards customer service is making the decision to go with MoTech VERY simple. NOW..if I could just decide between the 5.3 and the 6.2
Old 11-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Matt - unless you are into laying rubber or got deep pockets, the Gen V LT 5.3 may be all you need. But it is easy also to get 50HP from the 5.3 with tuning which takes it to 405. But go for the 8L90 transmission.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 11-11-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If I had unlocking hubs, this would not have been an issue.
So you'll be pulling the front driveshaft before any extended freeway trips until you get around to some form of locking hubs?

I'm glad you included AA's comments at the end. Seems like a great after-action report, and if nothing else, it is food for thought for prospective swappers to compare to their specific builds.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matthaney
NOW..if I could just decide between the 5.3 and the 6.2
I think the L8T is going to make an interesting option. 6.6L, iron block, 10.8:1 (can run cheap gas), and no AFM/DFM.

Quick Reply: MoTech V8 conversion - 3 1/2 year review...