Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: MOST RELIABLE/DURABLE/EFFICIENT FORCED INDUCTION (SUPER CHARGER/TURBO CHARGER) FOR 3.6
EDELBROCK E-FORCE SUPER CHARGER
28.13%
RIPP SUPER CHARGER
25.00%
MAGNUSSON SUPER CHARGER
25.00%
SPRINTEX SUPER CHARGER
21.88%
PRODIGY TURBO CHARGER
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Most reliable/durable/efficient supercharger for 3.6 pentastar

Old 01-18-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Francis1989
Damn forgot to mention I do have the banks ram air intake also. I don't think that would have much impact on this though
I am aware that JK/JKU Manual Transmissions have had quite a few Throw-Out-Bearing failures; many with less than 25,000 miles.

Have not heard of any "stronger" clutch options? Please post what you come up with to handle the torque.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paying close attention to this thread. Thanks for creating.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I haven't seen many options either. Right now I'm going with the centerforce 2 clutch. It's designed for street/strip, off-roading and towing. I've read some good reviews on it so hopefully that works out
Old 01-19-2016, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Yeah I haven't seen many options either. Right now I'm going with the centerforce 2 clutch. It's designed for street/strip, off-roading and towing. I've read some good reviews on it so hopefully that works out
I know many of us will be watching closely. Good luck with it, hope you get over 100k miles out of the Centerforce 2!
Old 01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Finally got my jeep back from 4 wheel parts. I definitely like the centerforce II clutch. It feels way different than OEM. It's a lot more smooth and soft feeling. Still breaking it in so I guess that could change. I haven't throttled it much due to still breaking in but I feel like it'll shift much smoother than the OEM one.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Finally got my jeep back from 4 wheel parts. I definitely like the centerforce II clutch. It feels way different than OEM. It's a lot more smooth and soft feeling. Still breaking it in so I guess that could change. I haven't throttled it much due to still breaking in but I feel like it'll shift much smoother than the OEM one.
Thanks for the update and best of luck!
Old 05-18-2016, 01:03 AM
JK Newbie

This video from 2010 compares the Eaton 1320 to the Sprintex S5-210 which out performed the Eaton 1320.

https://youtu.be/hxijI_rVyms?t=2m19s
The new Sprintex JK kit uses a larger S5-335 model which may be more capable than the 1320 based on the video above.

The Sprintex kit uses a nylon intake manifold which helps prevent the heat soak between the motor and supercharger and has weight saving properties.

Both kits are in process for legal CARB status in California which works for me.

I voted for the Sprintex but I love the Edelbrock as well.

Last edited by SonDa5; 05-18-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SonDa5
This video from 2010 compares the Eaton 1320 to the Sprintex S5-210 which out performed the Eaton 1320. Video Link: https://youtu.be/hxijI_rVyms?t=2m19s The new Sprintex JK kit uses a larger S5-335 model which may be more capable than the 1320 based on the video above. The Sprintex kit uses a nylon intake manifold which helps prevent the heat soak between the motor and supercharger and has weight saving properties. Both kits are in process for legal CARB status in California which works for me. I voted for the Sprintex but I love the Edelbrock as well.
I actually reached-out to Sprintex regarding the glass-impregnated nylon that they claim reduced heat soak. I asked if I could see any testing that shows it acts as a thermal break, and got no reply. It was odd because prior to that I had been getting good communication.

I have nothing against Sprintex, just not sure how accurate that claim really is without empirical data. The main reason I would up with Magnuson was that I got a great price on a lightly-used one.

I am sure there are happy customers with most all of the forced induction offerings. I do like the fact that the Roots-hybrid can go a long while before changing oil and rebuild; potential down-side of the centrifugal blowers.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

No love for the prodigy turbo kit in here? I have been driving mine for a little while now and it's been great. Zero parasitic power loss, makes great power out of the dumpy 3.8.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This poll is nothing more than a popularity contest.

Reliability/Durability: No one has performed any objective tests to determine any measure of these, let alone a standard measure that can be compared between the options. Any claims of one option being overall, as an entire system, more reliable/durable than another option, are based on conjecture and broad generalizations.

Efficiency: Of what? With respect to what? "Efficiency" by itself doesn't mean anything. Efficiency of fuel consumption with respect to distance travelled (mpg)? Efficiency of net power/torque produced with respect to boost pressure? Efficiency of full throttle net power/torque produced with respect to fuel consumption? Or something else?

FWIW, nothing beats a turbo in terms of minimal parasitic loss, maximum gains for a given boost level.

Fuel economy efficiency is impossible to make strong claims about without controlled tests, but customers often report an increase of a few MPG after installing a turbo. When installing the Stage 1 turbo, I personally observed an increase in MPG on my own vehicle that made up for the increased cost of premium fuel. I basically broke even on the cost of fuel per mile compared to stock, despite requiring premium fuel instead of regular. But this is just anecdotal evidence, YMMV depending on many factors, and it's impossible to make valid comparisons between different FI kits with respect to MPG because different people drive differently, have wildly different modifications to Jeeps that affect fuel economy (more than probably any other type of common vehicle out there).

Moral of the story: a comparison of FI kits on the market cannot be distilled down to a simple "which one is the best?" public poll. They all have a different balance of advantages/disadvantages, strengths/weaknesses, in many different areas. It depends on many things like:

* How do you drive your Jeep? Hardcore low-speed technical rock-crawling, off-road toy, trailered to the trail? Daily driver mall crawler only? Weekend warrior that is daily driven on the streets and driven on highways/freeways to get to moderate difficulty off-road destinations? Somewhere in between?

* What do you want? Respectable power? "Holy crap this is fast!", shove-you-into-your-seat-power? What particular situations are you wishing you had more power for? Is maximum low RPM gains with instant throttle response a major priority? Is it really a priority based on how you use your Jeep, or do you just assume it should be a priority because it's a Jeep and everyone says low end torque is what really matters? How does that balance out with your priority for improving acceleration on the street (freeway on-ramps, passing performance, etc) where mid-upper RPM range torque/power is what really matters? Is there a particular forced induction technology that just fascinates you, makes the noises you really like, and you just have to have it?

* What's your budget, how strict is it, and what's your ability to decide to wait longer to save up more to make a more expensive option affordable? Does your budget absolutely rule out more expensive options (makes it easy to narrow down the list of options)?

Everyone has a different balance of these and much more. The goal is to find the option whose advantages/strengths best macth your balance of desires/priorities.

A major problem encountered while trying to compare options is trying to figure out how much gains each option has relative to the others, and exactly how the gains are distributed throughout the RPM range relative to the others. Some manufacturers have not published straightforward dyno chart results. Those that do publish dyno charts with before/after results for comparison all have different baseline stock results (due to different dyno types/models, different dyno configurations for doing power pulls, etc). None of the results can be directly compared to other manufacturers' results. I'm working on a solution to this problem. I hope to have something finalized to present/explain within a couple weeks

~Jeff

Quick Reply: Most reliable/durable/efficient supercharger for 3.6 pentastar