Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: MOST RELIABLE/DURABLE/EFFICIENT FORCED INDUCTION (SUPER CHARGER/TURBO CHARGER) FOR 3.6
EDELBROCK E-FORCE SUPER CHARGER
28.13%
RIPP SUPER CHARGER
25.00%
MAGNUSSON SUPER CHARGER
25.00%
SPRINTEX SUPER CHARGER
21.88%
PRODIGY TURBO CHARGER
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Most reliable/durable/efficient supercharger for 3.6 pentastar

Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doc5339
Tons of questions:

-How was the installation and about how long did it take?

-Have noticed a terrible drop in MPG (hand-calculated, not on the EVIC "lie-o-meter")?

-Does the Horsepower and Torque feel linear, does it die-off at any given RPM?

-had any issues with the engine overheating, or just running a bit hot?

-How many miles have you been driving it and what type of driving do you do most?

Thanks in advance!
The installation took me about about 16 hours total and that was because I was missing the evap hose, drill bit, nitrous flare jet, and some other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. So it is always best to check to make sure you have absolutely every nut and bolt counted out before you start. I was so excited to do the install that I didn't do a thorough check. I had to make several trips to the parts store and make up some things as I went along because I did the install over the weekend. Edelbrock did next day the missing items the following business day, but I do think it can be done in about 8 hours if you have everything. The install was not at all difficult. I think the most difficult part of the install was routing one of the stainless fuel lines and that was just because there was not a lot of space near the firewall.

Gas mileage was disappointing at first. On a long ~900mi road trip mostly uphill, I averaged 8mpg. Before the supercharger I got 16-17mpg on the same trip. My normal work commute, mostly highway I was getting about 11mpg. After recalibrating the gas pedal with the procal I've been getting better mileage and improved pedal response. I'm now averaging about 15mpg, which is about 1-2mpg less than stock.

Power wise, it is a totally different vehicle from a dead stop. It just takes off like a rocket and has good torque down low. Passing wise is so-so uphill when going faster than 70mph. I didn't notice much of a difference vs stock for uphill passing. On a flat surface it's much better. It could be much faster if the auto trans wasn't so finicky. It doesn't like to shift at WOT when getting near the red line and I end up hitting the rev limiter usually when it tries to shift out of second and there's even a delay when manually shifting and I still hit the rev limiter. As for flat spots I haven't noticed anything that really sticks out to me. Maybe around 4500 rpm it doesn't seem to pull as hard off the line, but for the most part it feels the same throughout the power band.

I did have issues with the Jeep running very hot. On long hill climbs the temp gauge would go almost to the H. I've had the temp light come on and I've had to pull over to let it cool. I upgraded to the Mishimoto radiator thinking it would help and it still would get hot. I ended up changing my water pump (it was squeaking) and did a vacuum refill on it and it seems to be much better. I have yet to see it climb past 230F on a long hill climb. For the most part it does run pretty hot at idle. I've been keeping track of the temp with a scan guage and it idles at 208F and the fan is almost always running whether or not the ac is on.

I've put about 6k miles on it so far. I think that it probably needs a custom tune for me to be totally happy with it (or maybe if I had a manual instead of an auto since the trans is really the main driveability issue for me) . I'm having an issue with emissions right now that I'm trying to get resolved I have no cel, but it has 2 readiness monitors that are showing incomplete (fuel & o2 sensor) and its had at least 3 weeks since the last time the battery was reset. I do mixed driving, about 50/50 city/highway.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjosh
The installation took me about about 16 hours total and that was because I was missing the evap hose, drill bit, nitrous flare jet, and some other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. So it is always best to check to make sure you have absolutely every nut and bolt counted out before you start. I was so excited to do the install that I didn't do a thorough check. I had to make several trips to the parts store and make up some things as I went along because I did the install over the weekend. Edelbrock did next day the missing items the following business day, but I do think it can be done in about 8 hours if you have everything. The install was not at all difficult. I think the most difficult part of the install was routing one of the stainless fuel lines and that was just because there was not a lot of space near the firewall. Gas mileage was disappointing at first. On a long ~900mi road trip mostly uphill, I averaged 8mpg. Before the supercharger I got 16-17mpg on the same trip. My normal work commute, mostly highway I was getting about 11mpg. After recalibrating the gas pedal with the procal I've been getting better mileage and improved pedal response. I'm now averaging about 15mpg, which is about 1-2mpg less than stock. Power wise, it is a totally different vehicle from a dead stop. It just takes off like a rocket and has good torque down low. Passing wise is so-so uphill when going faster than 70mph. I didn't notice much of a difference vs stock for uphill passing. On a flat surface it's much better. It could be much faster if the auto trans wasn't so finicky. It doesn't like to shift at WOT when getting near the red line and I end up hitting the rev limiter usually when it tries to shift out of second and there's even a delay when manually shifting and I still hit the rev limiter. As for flat spots I haven't noticed anything that really sticks out to me. Maybe around 4500 rpm it doesn't seem to pull as hard off the line, but for the most part it feels the same throughout the power band. I did have issues with the Jeep running very hot. On long hill climbs the temp gauge would go almost to the H. I've had the temp light come on and I've had to pull over to let it cool. I upgraded to the Mishimoto radiator thinking it would help and it still would get hot. I ended up changing my water pump (it was squeaking) and did a vacuum refill on it and it seems to be much better. I have yet to see it climb past 230F on a long hill climb. For the most part it does run pretty hot at idle. I've been keeping track of the temp with a scan guage and it idles at 208F and the fan is almost always running whether or not the ac is on. I've put about 6k miles on it so far. I think that it probably needs a custom tune for me to be totally happy with it (or maybe if I had a manual instead of an auto since the trans is really the main driveability issue for me) . I'm having an issue with emissions right now that I'm trying to get resolved I have no cel, but it has 2 readiness monitors that are showing incomplete (fuel & o2 sensor) and its had at least 3 weeks since the last time the battery was reset. I do mixed driving, about 50/50 city/highway.
Thanks for the detailed response! I copied it and posted over on a similar thread at JeepLab (they have tested the Magnuson, RIPP, as well as Progidy Turbo).
Old 10-13-2015, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something to consider for anyone running an auto. I know for the Hemi conversion, they make some really solid improvements to the valve body in the 3.6 auto trans. It isn't too costly, but apparently a night/day difference. I would have to believe that it would be a similar benefit with a S/C 3.6. Worth checking into anyway.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I read Josh's opinion and I found a thread on JKowners that I believe is him as well with some others comments. After reading the tuning issues there, and having tuning issues of my own, it is kind of discouraging. Don't like that I have to buy a new PCM to get my JK to accept the Edelbrock tune, and then get Procal for gear and tire adjustments. Others using multiple brand on handheld tuners for different functions. Starting to believe that it will cost much $ more, more than just what the kit cost in order to get things running right, if they ever do. At least another $1k,

Looks like my cost analysis was flawed. Thought since it was a "kit" it was good to go.

Stick more money into it, or jump ship. Hate to throw more good money after bad. Maybe should have done more research like doc.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hoopskier
I read Josh's opinion and I found a thread on JKowners that I believe is him as well with some others comments. After reading the tuning issues there, and having tuning issues of my own, it is kind of discouraging. Don't like that I have to buy a new PCM to get my JK to accept the Edelbrock tune, and then get Procal for gear and tire adjustments. Others using multiple brand on handheld tuners for different functions. Starting to believe that it will cost much $ more, more than just what the kit cost in order to get things running right, if they ever do. At least another $1k,

Looks like my cost analysis was flawed. Thought since it was a "kit" it was good to go.

Stick more money into it, or jump ship. Hate to throw more good money after bad. Maybe should have done more research like doc.
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately for me I didn't know what I was getting myself in to and had to throw money and a lot of time into it to get it right. I absolutely love it now, but that was not the case in the beginning.

I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to a v8 swap, but after the issues I had to work my way through and the fact that I still need a custom tune, a v8 doesn't seem that expensive anymore. Knowing what I know now, I would have just gone with a v8. Now, I will say if you have a manual you will probably be okay, but if you have an auto I would reconsider a supercharger or if you insist on having one, just know that you may run into issues and that your transmission will sometimes hang onto a gear (usually on an incline, otherwise on a flat surface shifts are quick).
Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Something to consider for anyone running an auto. I know for the Hemi conversion, they make some really solid improvements to the valve body in the 3.6 auto trans. It isn't too costly, but apparently a night/day difference. I would have to believe that it would be a similar benefit with a S/C 3.6. Worth checking into anyway.
I emailed ModernMusclePerformance about using one of their upgraded valve body's in the JK transmission, but they said something about having to change the bellhousing and I didn't care to find out how involved that would be both time and money-wise so I didn't bother to even try.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hoopskier

Did you try to approach the issue the other way by contacting supercharchip and see if they can help you either by giving you a special revert back procedure or maybe put them in contact with your supercharger supplyer so they con produce a tune.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 AM
JK Freak

Jeff has not replied to my last email from October 1st. I was between Sprintex and RIPP, unfortunately I have only been able to find 3 JK/JKU 3.6 Sprintex owners; of those 3, 2 were u happy due to surging and lackluster performance, while one purchased a used Sprintex and just installed it; he seems happy enough because he got his unit for $3k, though he also has surging.

I understand that forced induction is an involved performance mod that requires additional strain on the powertrain. I really want linear power delivery, however, not at the cost of heat soak, surging, and inadequate tunes.

If one of us pays the thousands required to add this power, one expects it to perform as advertised. Sprintex does not have many superchargers installed on the 3.6, but those out there (who I have contacted) are not happy. I found similar results from the guys who bought them for the 3.8s.

If there a guys loving the Sprintex Supercharger out there, let's hear from them.

The following is copied over from JeepLab, and is from the 3rd Sprintex owner who I contacted; he purchased his Sprintex Supercharger lightly used for $3,000.00:

Quote Originally Posted by doc5339 View Post
Just checking in to see how the Sprintex is treating ya?

Have you noticed anymore surging?

Have you hand-calculated recent MPG; wondering if it has improved at all?

Are you still happy with your purchase (imagine so) and installation?

so far the people at sprintex are working with me to get it right and they have been very good about responding to emails, but unfortunately the problem persists, and also it threw a code of P0113, which is intake temp sensor 1 high, whatever that means. the mpg is still suffering. overall, i really enjoy the power gains, but if the issue cant be totally resolved, then no i wouldnt say that im happy even for 3000$. as luck would have it, i will be visiting Lawton, OK soon, which is near their HQ in oklahoma city. so hopefully if things cant get resolved via email, then they can see the issue first hand and mess with it.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 AM
JK Freak

Question

I should have added the ProCharger Supercharger to the poll.

It seems relatively new to the market. It is a centrifugal supercharger very similar to RIPP, though it relocates the alternator and positions almost midline in the alternator's installed position.

ProCharger claims to have the biggest available intercooler. The only information I have seen from them is on their website and a promo video on YouTube.

It does like a viable option, has anyone purchase and installed a ProCharger?

Is anyone out there running the ProCharger Supercharger?

I am now between the RIPP and the ProCharger, though I am having difficulty finding anyone who owns a ProCharger?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Stumbled across this and it prompted me to write a heartfelt "thank you" email to Magnuson Products, LLC:

http://youtu.be/LPbJSSyeqSk

Quick Reply: Most reliable/durable/efficient supercharger for 3.6 pentastar