Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: MOST RELIABLE/DURABLE/EFFICIENT FORCED INDUCTION (SUPER CHARGER/TURBO CHARGER) FOR 3.6
EDELBROCK E-FORCE SUPER CHARGER
28.13%
RIPP SUPER CHARGER
25.00%
MAGNUSSON SUPER CHARGER
25.00%
SPRINTEX SUPER CHARGER
21.88%
PRODIGY TURBO CHARGER
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Most reliable/durable/efficient supercharger for 3.6 pentastar

Old 10-06-2015, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doc5339
Are you driving around with that E-Force SC installed?
Short answer; No, not yet

Long story. I had finished the hardware install but, as mentioned, I ran into tuning issues. I had travel plans for my Jeep, so scheduling, dictated that I remove the supercharger. I need the Jeep for my trip, can't get it tuned prior, and don't want to miss my trip which was non-refundable, so the stock intake went back on. I will say that it is completely reversible.

My intent is to put the supercharger back on after my vacation. I will then take the Jeep to a professional tuner and let him do the tune. I spoke with him already, seems confident that he can handle it. He mentioned being able to find additional horsepower in a custom tune vs the supplied tune. He mentioned the SCT tuner not working well with Chrysler products.

So, at this time my project is on hold. I will report back when everything is done. I believe my tuning issues stem from conflicts between brands tuners/programmers and not with the hardware manufacturer.

Also regarding oil changes vs rebuilds, my supercharger does not have oil in it, no grease fittings. Which leads me to believe that it uses sealed bearings. Probably the same with the Magnuson unit.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopskier
Short answer; No, not yet Long story. I had finished the hardware install but, as mentioned, I ran into tuning issues. I had travel plans for my Jeep, so scheduling, dictated that I remove the supercharger. I need the Jeep for my trip, can't get it tuned prior, and don't want to miss my trip which was non-refundable, so the stock intake went back on. I will say that it is completely reversible. My intent is to put the supercharger back on after my vacation. I will then take the Jeep to a professional tuner and let him do the tune. I spoke with him already, seems confident that he can handle it. He mentioned being able to find additional horsepower in a custom tune vs the supplied tune. He mentioned the SCT tuner not working well with Chrysler products. So, at this time my project is on hold. I will report back when everything is done. I believe my tuning issues stem from conflicts between brands tuners/programmers and not with the hardware manufacturer. Also regarding oil changes vs rebuilds, my supercharger does not have oil in it, no grease fittings. Which leads me to believe that it uses sealed bearings. Probably the same with the Magnuson unit.
Thanks for the update, enjoy your trip.

I just wanted to hear back from you before I actually "pull the trigger."
Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mgriffith67
Doc, before you buy.. have a discussion with me regarding the Sprintex system. We currently have 6 units installed. Several 3.8's, several 3.6's and even a 4.0. I know Tyrone Jones (COO), Jay Upton (CTO), Jeff Tromans (North American Sales Director) and the team personally.
Jeff has not replied to my last email from October 1st. I was between Sprintex and RIPP, unfortunately I have only been able to find 3 JK/JKU 3.6 Sprintex owners; of those 3, 2 were u happy due to surging and lackluster performance, while one purchased a used Sprintex and just installed it; he seems happy enough because he got his unit for $3k, though he also has surging.

I understand that forced induction is an involved performance mod that requires additional strain on the powertrain. I really want linear power delivery, however, not at the cost of heat soak, surging, and inadequate tunes.

If one of us pays the thousands required to add this power, one expects it to perform as advertised. Sprintex does not have many superchargers installed on the 3.6, but those out there (who I have contacted) are not happy. I found similar results from the guys who bought them for the 3.8s.

If there a guys loving the Sprintex Supercharger out there, let's hear from them.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by senor_gato
The centrifugal units need to be rebuilt after around 50-80k miles of use. The roots style just need an oil change which is a lot cheaper than rebuilding a head unit.
Thanks Senor, I was not aware of this, will research it.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by senor_gato
The centrifugal units need to be rebuilt after around 50-80k miles of use. The roots style just need an oil change which is a lot cheaper than rebuilding a head unit.
The centrifugal needs an oil change every 10K and a little more stringent maintenance. Take a look at Ripp's instructions for details.

Roots style blowers dont need an oil change until 80-100K range and require no sort of maintenance.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

5 people on this poll voted for the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, and I know that Hoopskier was one of them and actually purchased the E-Force.

My question is, have any of the other 4 voters who went for the Edelbrock E-Force purchased, and possibly installed it?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

I should have added the ProCharger Supercharger to the poll.

It seems relatively new to the market. It is a centrifugal supercharger very similar to RIPP, though it relocates the alternator and positions almost midline in the alternator's installed position.

ProCharger claims to have the biggest available intercooler. The only information I have seen from them is on their website and a promo video on YouTube.

It does like a viable option, has anyone purchase and installed a ProCharger?
Old 10-13-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by doc5339
I should have added the ProCharger Supercharger to the poll. It seems relatively new to the market. It is a centrifugal supercharger very similar to RIPP, though it relocates the alternator and positions almost midline in the alternator's installed position. ProCharger claims to have the biggest available intercooler. The only information I have seen from them is on their website and a promo video on YouTube. It does like a viable option, has anyone purchase and installed a ProCharger?
I was dead-set on RIPP, now I am waiting to see who installs a ProCharger and how it goes installation and performance-wise?

It looks clean, with exception of moving the alternator so low, which may not be an issue for someone like me who rarely goes off road, but likely would be for many in this forum.

Last edited by doc5339; 10-13-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't frequent the forums much, but I have been running the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger for the past 4 months if anyone has any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them. I do have an automatic so my experience may differ from those with a manual transmission.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mrjosh
I don't frequent the forums much, but I have been running the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger for the past 4 months if anyone has any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them. I do have an automatic so my experience may differ from those with a manual transmission.
Tons of questions:

-How was the installation and about how long did it take?

-Have noticed a terrible drop in MPG (hand-calculated, not on the EVIC "lie-o-meter")?

-Does the Horsepower and Torque feel linear, does it die-off at any given RPM?

-had any issues with the engine overheating, or just running a bit hot?

-How many miles have you been driving it and what type of driving do you do most?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Most reliable/durable/efficient supercharger for 3.6 pentastar