Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Most important skid plates??

Old 05-05-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most important skid plates??

If you were going to get skid plates, which would be most important? what is most prone to damage. Oil pan And Gas tank....And what is the best make
Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

hmmm, assuming you relocate your evap canister, I'd have to say oil pan. The gastank will get beat but so far, mine seems to be fairing okay just the same.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The stock gas tank skid is about 1/7th of an inch thick...one of the thicker stock skids out there (MORE than 1/8" thick...).

3/16" would be a good aftermarket thickness though...closer to ~ 1/5" thick.

The other skids are a lot thinner...more like the typical stock tin foil we see everywhere.

That means your oil pan is a high vulnerability area (The evap can was already mentioned as well) as mentioned above.

The Skid-Row and Rockhard plates look pretty good...If Shrock does for the JK what he did for some other rigs...I might just wait a bit longer for the Shrock versions to come out though.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree.

The oil/trans skid plate is, I think, critical. My oil pan has dents in it and I crushed the exhaust cross over and had to have the section replaced. then I installed a belly skid plate and now it is beat up but is pretty beefy and is holding up very well.

Next will be the evap canister.

I also recomend protecting the diff covers. Smash one on a rock and your stopped.

My fuel tank stock skid plate is pretty beat up, but has held so far. I know it is a matter of time before I replace it as well.

Quick Reply: Most important skid plates??