Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Most flex out of a 2-3" lift!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Most flex out of a 2-3" lift!

Hey guys, been researching so much my brain is starting to fry. I think I'm narrowing it down though. Right now I'm running a '13 JK sport with 285/75r16 BFG KM2's. Swapped out coils with 17/58's and have 1" spacers front and back - that put me almost perfectly level sitting at about 2.75" lift. Also threw in Rubicon shocks and JKS 2.5-6" quick discos.

My issue is I just ordered Bilstein, Front, 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber (For 1.5"-3" Lift) - BIL-24146708 These are apparently about 15.3" compressed & 26.5" extended - advertised 11" travel. I am 99% sure if I disconnect with these on the 17/58's at full flex I'll be shooting coils all over the trail. I'm deciding between these replacement coils to hopefully eliminate that problem & fix my horribly rough ride:

Synergy Manufacturing 8063-10 - Synergy Manufacturing 1-2" Front Coil Springs for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Old Man Emu 2615 - Old Man Emu 2" Lift Front Light Load (0-90lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Of course the corresponding rears also. Figure with these I can keep the amount of lift now which I'm happy with & not have to immediately order up some drive shafts also. Any advice for me?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

I've got the 17/59's and those same shocks without a rough ride. Your 1" coil spacer doesn't lengthen your coil so it shouldn't throw a coil on the trail. At full articulation I can just barely twist my coil but it won't come out- you should expect similar results.

But- that does not address your rough ride. Both companies listed above make great products and you'd be safe with either. Addressing your rough ride- is this with stock shocks or have the aforementioned 'ordered' shocks been installed? 5100's are notoriously stiff but I don't feel that way about mine (when compared to OEM shocks). Do you have plans to add weight to the front or rear?

What's your tire pressure? That's known to cause issues.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
I've got the 17/59's and those same shocks without a rough ride. Your 1" coil spacer doesn't lengthen your coil so it shouldn't throw a coil on the trail. At full articulation I can just barely twist my coil but it won't come out- you should expect similar results. But- that does not address your rough ride. Both companies listed above make great products and you'd be safe with either. Addressing your rough ride- is this with stock shocks or have the aforementioned 'ordered' shocks been installed? 5100's are notoriously stiff but I don't feel that way about mine (when compared to OEM shocks). Do you have plans to add weight to the front or rear? What's your tire pressure? That's known to cause issues.
30psi and no still running rubicons I ordered the new bilsteins yesterday & it's goin to an APO address so it'll be in a week.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone have experience or specs of the 1.5" RK triple rates?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Synergy and MetalCloak make some of the longest coils out there. If you're worried about them popping out and you want new and longer coils to fix the problem, I would go with either one of those companies.

Since you chose Bilstein shocks (which aren't all that soft) my recommendation would be Synergy as from my understanding they are a bit softer than MetalCloak.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Wouldn't a stiff shock be better paired with a stiff spring? I don't know, just asking.

Quick Reply: Most flex out of a 2-3" lift!