Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Most articulation - what matters?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought unless you are really going to do alot of wheeling. I would just go with a long are kit minus the coilovers. Sure they look great but the cost doesn't seem to equal out. Adding up everything you need to do to your Jeep to make them work. But If you are going with them you shold go all out.

Off Road Evolution EVO Front Double ThrowDown System
Off Road Evolution EVO Rear Double ThrowDown System
Off Road Evolution EVO Bolt-On Long Arm with envy links with the rest of the bells and whistles
Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, don't piece together random components from different manufactures. Their engineers do this for a living and know more about suspension geometry than us. Some things are best left to professionals. As for brands, again IMO: ORE or RK is the way to go. All rigs I have seen with these setups are beasts, and have very little problems when it comes to DW or other complaints.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tadempsey808
IMO, don't piece together random components from different manufactures. Their engineers do this for a living and know more about suspension geometry than us. Some things are best left to professionals. As for brands, again IMO: ORE or RK is the way to go. All rigs I have seen with these setups are beasts, and have very little problems when it comes to DW or other complaints.
i agree 100%, i run with someone that has a very expensive pieced together system, and it doesn't work like it should. that is one of the main reason why i like ORE. they sell their kits by by components, so i can piece it together when money allows, and not be forced to spend a ton all at once. not to mention it it one hell of a system!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think brake lines help the most. You snap one of those and you wont have a fun trip home.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE Phoenix07013: The thing about a 2-live axle, control arm set up, is that it's all about geometry, and weight transfer.
What I mean by this is, just because a system has the most flex, doesn't mean that it has the best traction. And traction is the key, which is ultimately, how much of the weight of the vehicle can you move with the available contact points. What I'm trying to say is, if you have a rig that has poor geometry, but great articulation means that you're placing full load on less contact points. Meaning, just cause it's touching, doesn't mean it matters.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you'll forgive me but... what you're saying make absolutely no sense at all. keeping all 4 on the floor WILL give you traction as well as stability and big flex will allow you to do just that. a LACK of flex will cause you to hang tires and a tire in the air won't do jack for you
I think what he was trying to say was, the whole set up needs to be balanced. We've all seen rigs with absolutely crazy amounts of flex that will unload the uphill suspension so badly when trying to go across a sidehill that they just about roll over when crossing something that a completely stock Jeep would drive across like it wasn't even there. There really is more to it than just how much articulation you have. The whole package has to be balanced, and what is needed to make the whole package balanced will be different for each vehicle. Sometimes a Jeep will do better overall with smaller tires than with bigger tires. Sometimes a Jeep will do better overall with a little less articulation, but with suspension geometry that is well tuned and doesn't unload on the slightest of hills. Another reason to buy a complete system that is designed to work correctly, instead of piecing together a bunch of random parts.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 10-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think what he was trying to say was, the whole set up needs to be balanced. We've all seen rigs with absolutely crazy amounts of flex that will unload the uphill suspension so badly when trying to go across a sidehill that they just about roll over when crossing something that a completely stock Jeep would drive across like it wasn't even there. There really is more to it than just how much articulation you have. The whole package has to be balanced, and what is needed to make the whole package balanced will be different for each vehicle. Sometimes a Jeep will do better overall with smaller tires than with bigger tires. Sometimes a Jeep will do better overall with a little less articulation, but with suspension geometry that is well tuned and doesn't unload on the slightest of hills. Another reason to buy a complete system that is designed to work correctly, instead of piecing together a bunch of random parts.
Well time to start saving. Thanx everyone.

Quick Reply: Most articulation - what matters?