Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More on wheels/tires

Old 03-04-2007, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duneslider
I just put 33's on my unlimited. The spare fits just fine on the tailgate rack. It no longer makes contact with those rubber bumpers. I am not sure if that matters though. The bumpers things are really soft rubber so I can't see them giving ANY support to the tire/rack.
The 33's don't rub in normal driving. When turning really sharp they do rub the air dam a little. I was able to just trim the dam about an inch off the corners and it clears fine.
Offroad I do get some rub with no lift. It doesn't seem to be enough that it would cause a problem if you didn't lift it.
I will be getting a BB lift to cure the rubbing issues.
Gas mileage has gone down to 15 from 17. However, that is the uncorrected mileage so I, without doing the math, would guess I am getting about 15.5-16.
I see no need to regear with 33's. I seem to have lost a little acceleration but can drive 75 on the freeway no problem. I figure a CAI will gain me back a little power and help at the gas pump too.

I was lucky, my wife made me go get tires. She is mad I haven't bought the lift yet too. Although, she is the one that drives it all the time too.

Bryan

Bryan...thanks for the info. The more I read, the more I'm set on the 33's with a 2" BB lift. I figured I would have to trim the air dam a little and add a Airaid CAI at some point. Do u have the 4.1 or 3.21 gears? Mine's a 3.21 which is why I was wondering about re-gearing.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

All autos should be 4.10. Tow package should all be 4.10 also. I have not seen a single Unlimited that had 4x4 that didn't have the 4.10. I am sure there are some but none that have gone through my local dealer have been. Obviously, someone has the 3.21 on their unlimited but most seem to not.

Bryan
Old 03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

I still don't think you will notice the difference in the bigger tires. I went from the stock 255's which measured about 32" and went to heavy MT's and didn't really notice much difference. You don't seem to be going with a heavy MT so you should notice less than I did/

Looks like you are one of the few 3.21's.

Bryan
Old 03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pmergler
You get the 4.10 gearing on the X and Sahara if you get a tow package and I think that all Autos are 4.10, someone correct me if I am wrong.

All autos should be 4.10. Tow package should all be 4.10 also. I have not seen a single Unlimited that had 4x4 that didn't have the 4.10. I am sure there are some but none that have gone through my local dealer have been. Obviously, someone has the 3.21 on their unlimited but most seem to not.
Now u guys have me scratching my head. I definately got a 4x4 and I just pulled the sticker that was in the window out of the glove box and it says "3.21 Axle Ratio" I guess the wife bought one of the base base models.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

My sticker said 3.21 too then further on somewhere it said it had the 4.10 added. Do you have the auto too?

Bryan
Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LinkSync
Doesnt your Jeep have the 4.1 gears? I thought unlimiteds all did.
Originally Posted by JeepCacher
Now u guys have me scratching my head. I definately got a 4x4 and I just pulled the sticker that was in the window out of the glove box and it says "3.21 Axle Ratio" I guess the wife bought one of the base base models.
all automatics have 4.10 gears, so do all rubicons. sahara's and x's only get it if they order that option, or the towing package, or an auto. does not matter if it's unlimited or 2dr.

Last edited by superboo; 03-04-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

My sticker said 3.21 too then further on somewhere it said it had the 4.10 added. Do you have the auto too?

Bryan
Manual. We'll see what happens when I get the tires. If I need more power, the gears go next.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 AM
JK Freak

my auto has 4:10 , ive benn thinkin about lifting & tires but dang i just bought it with new tires etc. so im going to wait until the 18" tires wear out first. the ride on the highway is important to me cause thats where i spend most of my time and she rides smooth as silk now i would hate to mess with that at this time. those lifted jk's look so cool

Quick Reply: More on wheels/tires