Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More on wheels/tires

Old 03-03-2007, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on wheels/tires

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about my wife showing up at my work on Valentine's Day with an 07 Unlimited X. I've been checking out all of the different mods that can be done and the obvious first one is tires and wheels. Those stock ones have to go.

I've read a bunch on here about the best sizes, lifts, back spacing, spacers, rubbing, etc. and decided to go with black Pro Comp Rock Crawlers with Goodyear LT285/75R16 Silent Armors. This is gonna be my daily driver with a little wheeling once a month or so.

The Pro Comps have 4" back spacing and the tires are almost 33" (32.8) x 11.3".

Anyone familiar with this setup and if I'll need the spacers and a lift? What about changing out the gears? I was playing around on one of those websites that does the calculations and it looks like a gear change is needed.

Oh ya...I showed the wife my list of mods that will be occuring over the next 6 months and how much they'll cost (I know...big mistake) and she about s*#t. Last time she'll buy me a jeep for valentine's day

I'll be posting some pics of the new wheels/tires next week.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

You will be able to clear 33s fine with no lift at all, but you will get minor rubbing with your steering maxed out to either direction. Decide after you put your new tires on whether or not your going to be power thirsty enough to shell out $ for a regear.

Have fun!

Living Still
Old 03-03-2007, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

i'm in a similar situation as you. except i'm probably going to wait out the life of the stock tires before i replace them...or at least a year. then i'm pretty set on going 33". from all of the information i've collected, 33" will be fine without regearing, but almost every 33" tire setup has had rubbing until a lift was added on. 3" lifts look a bit too tall for 33" with 2.5" on the line, and 2" looking just right. but that's just my personal aesthetic preference. i'm trying to figure out which 2-2.5" lift is going to be the best for keeping the stock ride. plus, i'd like to level out the front a bit.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by superboo
from all of the information i've collected, 33" will be fine without regearing, but almost every 33" tire setup has had rubbing until a lift was added on. 3" lifts look a bit too tall for 33" with 2.5" on the line, and 2" looking just right. but that's just my personal aesthetic preference. i'm trying to figure out which 2-2.5" lift is going to be the best for keeping the stock ride. plus, i'd like to level out the front a bit.
I was hoping I wouldnt need to re-gear (I'd rather spend the $$ on other mods). As far as the rubbing goes, I was reading a thread on here about adding washers to the steering stops and that sounds like a quick, easy fix till I can get the lift. I agree the 2" lift seems to be the right height for 33's. I'm probably gonna go with the Skyjacker 2" BB, doing my own installation (It will be a first ).
Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Living Still
You will be able to clear 33s fine with no lift at all, but you will get minor rubbing with your steering maxed out to either direction. Decide after you put your new tires on whether or not your going to be power thirsty enough to shell out $ for a regear.

Have fun!

Living Still
Thanks for the response. Definately gonna have fun with this. I'm planning on doing most of the mods myself. Should be interesting.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doesnt your Jeep have the 4.1 gears? I thought unlimiteds all did.
If so you should be fine up to and including 35" tires tho you would need a lift for those.
Thats what I was told by the stealership as well as like 13 other sources.
another thing to know is that if you do get 33" I think your stock spare rack will work.
Mine has room at the bumper for about another 1.5 inches and I've got a 30" full sized spare sitting there.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by superboo
i'm in a similar situation as you. except i'm probably going to wait out the life of the stock tires before i replace them...or at least a year. then i'm pretty set on going 33". from all of the information i've collected, 33" will be fine without regearing, but almost every 33" tire setup has had rubbing until a lift was added on. 3" lifts look a bit too tall for 33" with 2.5" on the line, and 2" looking just right. but that's just my personal aesthetic preference. i'm trying to figure out which 2-2.5" lift is going to be the best for keeping the stock ride. plus, i'd like to level out the front a bit.
Keep me posted on what kit you decide. I am in the exact same situation...and don't even have the JK yet, should be here by Tuesday...hopefully I am going to run 33" BFGs with 16x8 4.25" BS Pro Comp Crawlers. I am up in the air between FT 2" BB and TeraFlex 2.5" BB. Also are most people just keeping stock shocks with the 2-2.5" BBs?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

I just put 33's on my unlimited. The spare fits just fine on the tailgate rack. It no longer makes contact with those rubber bumpers. I am not sure if that matters though. The bumpers things are really soft rubber so I can't see them giving ANY support to the tire/rack.
The 33's don't rub in normal driving. When turning really sharp they do rub the air dam a little. I was able to just trim the dam about an inch off the corners and it clears fine.
Offroad I do get some rub with no lift. It doesn't seem to be enough that it would cause a problem if you didn't lift it.
I will be getting a BB lift to cure the rubbing issues.
Gas mileage has gone down to 15 from 17. However, that is the uncorrected mileage so I, without doing the math, would guess I am getting about 15.5-16.
I see no need to regear with 33's. I seem to have lost a little acceleration but can drive 75 on the freeway no problem. I figure a CAI will gain me back a little power and help at the gas pump too.

I was lucky, my wife made me go get tires. She is mad I haven't bought the lift yet too. Although, she is the one that drives it all the time too.

Bryan
Old 03-04-2007, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LinkSync
Doesnt your Jeep have the 4.1 gears? I thought unlimiteds all did.
If so you should be fine up to and including 35" tires tho you would need a lift for those.
Thats what I was told by the stealership as well as like 13 other sources.
another thing to know is that if you do get 33" I think your stock spare rack will work.
Mine has room at the bumper for about another 1.5 inches and I've got a 30" full sized spare sitting there.
I have an Unlimited X with 3.21 gears. From what I've read, 4.1 is standard on the Rubicon and optional on the X and Sahara. As far as the spare rack, good to know the 33" will fit on the stock until I get the LoD rear bumper/tire carrier.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepCacher
I have an Unlimited X with 3.21 gears. From what I've read, 4.1 is standard on the Rubicon and optional on the X and Sahara. As far as the spare rack, good to know the 33" will fit on the stock until I get the LoD rear bumper/tire carrier.
You get the 4.10 gearing on the X and Sahara if you get a tow package and I think that all Autos are 4.10, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Quick Reply: More on wheels/tires