Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More Trektop header WOEs

Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Hog
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Trektop header WOEs

I know there are a bunch of posts on this already, but I didn't want to be on the bottom of them in case I can get quick help or be of help...

Being one of the many with !@#@$%^ threading the header knob issues, I got (one of the last to get from BT I think - btw, Ladean is aces!) "clamp" hardware replacement.. I assembled it and installed it on the header... pretty easy assy but WTF! How in the heck does this work??... I'm too stupid to figure out.. or, maybe got clamp hardware that won't work on JK... I dunno! Others say it's a 'snap'...

Even if I was to figure out how to adjust and engage the clamp style on the footloop, there'd still be this fist-sized thumb-up sticky-outy lump of hardware on each side of the header that then would 'roll up' inside the top folds?.... Hmmm, low-profile by comparison knob receiver brackets are much better design for rolling up/opening top...

So, defeated by clamp system, reinstalled knob hardware BUT DANGNATION getting easy alignment/threading still WAY too hard for big-me, let alone little-her!... Gave up last night, drove wife's TJ today instead (lucky us!)..

I'll wrassle it some more ASAP... BTW - I think "L" / left is driver's side and "R" /right is passenger, yes/no/eh? I sure need to see a good photo sequence of the surrounds and especially header hardwares properly installed (ANYONE?)... the clamp system and/or any tips for aligning the knob hardware ... BT Install instructions aren't enough for dumb 'ol me.

PS
Mine didn't leak yet in some pretty good Seattle rain... Driver's side of header noisier than passenger.. duck tape baffled the noise (which is way more noisy than our TJ with stock old '98 softtop) so ordered the WADE deflector.... Missing the summer window! If I can work out any easy on solution, I'll actually put the top back sometime in the next six days of sunshine we'll get between now and Sept.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You pretty much have to unattach the entire back end and sides of the top before you reattach the header. When you do that, it's a piece of cake. Seems like a pain, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. Takes just as long to do that then struggle with the knobs when it's pulled tight IMO.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
You pretty much have to unattach the entire back end and sides of the top before you reattach the header. When you do that, it's a piece of cake. Seems like a pain, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. Takes just as long to do that then struggle with the knobs when it's pulled tight IMO.
what he said, I have done battle a few times now and find that this is the least frustrating way to go about it. It sucks because my poor wife cant just roll it back and then put it back on if she wants.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Hog
JK Newbie

what he said, I have done battle a few times now and find that this is the least frustrating way to go about it. It sucks because my poor wife cant just roll it back and then put it back on if she wants.

Thanks guys,
I was afraid someone was going to tell me that... the same notion started creeping into my pea-brain just today... my problem with this, poor-wifey-no- top-down aside, is that I'm one of the guys who liked and installed a WARRIOR rack, which (thankyouVERYmuch) makes putting on and pulling off the backside WAAAAY more of an issue than no or other-rackers. [ https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/unlimited-warrior-rack-trektop-notes-86702/ ]
Thanks again for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: More Trektop header WOEs