Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

more stable at high speeds!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default more stable at high speeds! (help)

Check it... I tend to take my Jeep on road trips quit often. I went to Colorado this past December and South Florida this past week.... (coming from ATL) among other smaller trips.

The Jeep has held up great and gotten me there and back safe every time (knocking on wood now...)

My only complaint is that it's ALL over the road. I understand it's not gonna be a very comfortable ride which doesn't bother me, I just want to make her more stable for safety. I'm assuming stiffening up the suspension would help out a great deal.

Right now I'm running Rubi wheels and tires with the Tera Flex BB with shocks.

considering:
Wheel spacers
HD springs in the front and get rid of the hockey pucks

what else should I do? (and yes I know an EVO coil over system would probably help but.... like many of us I'm on a budget too)

Here are a couple pics for your viewing pleasure

thanks!

Last edited by MMO blk JK; 03-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

nice pics!

regarding your ride, how much air are you running in your tires? you shouldn't be running more than 30-32 psi in them tops. anymore than that and you will find that your ride is harsh and flighty. also, are you running the tf shocks or rubi shocks?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your tires balancing!!! lol i just completed a road trip from nc to ms and back and after getting the tires rebalanced my jeep actually rode VERY comfortably!!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
nice pics!

regarding your ride, how much air are you running in your tires? you shouldn't be running more than 30-32 psi in them tops. anymore than that and you will find that your ride is harsh and flighty. also, are you running the tf shocks or rubi shocks?
thanks!

Running about 35 psi. I'll be sure to adjust that to 31 next time, I just figured 35 would give better gas mileage but I guess it's kinda hopeless with 3.21s, and the TF shocks. And you hit the nail on the head it's "harsh and flighty."
Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Defector
I see you have a BB. Without changing the roll center via a higher track bar bracket, and not having a drop pitman arm or high-steer setup...all of the suspension component geometry (such as track bar to drag link angles) goes all out of whack. The result is bump steer, and why your rig is keeping you very busy at the helm. Not much you can do about it 'cept pony up for components which will correct your geometry ($$).

Of course, if its something much simpler than that like spacers, hey!! $$ saved!
ummm, WHAT??!

you'll forgive me but this information is just flat out wrong. we are talking about a BB here - NOT a 4" lift. trust me, you DO NOT need a track bar relocation bracket and dropped pitman arm for just a 2"-2.5" lift.

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-16-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adjustable control arms may help you take control of the road. Even a BB can affect your caster angle. You should be ok with going with just uppers.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Airing down a little as WOL suggested is probably all that needs to be done to help , it's a cheap mod. Hell when I got my 35's on after the BB it was flighty , they had like 40-45lbs of air in each tire. Went down to 28psi and all is good.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the input everybody

1.5" spacers and correct tire pressure is the way to go, cheap and easy.

Possibly upper control arms, and I read somewhere the RC progressive springs make for a nice ride too.

Quick Reply: more stable at high speeds!