Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More Squeaky Brakes thread... 2012 Rubi

Old 06-09-2013, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Squeaky Brakes thread... 2012 Rubi

So my brakes (or something in that area) are squeaking like heck and the hotter they get, the louder the squeak is and turns into a high pitch squeal.

I know there are several brake squeak threads and a few people change the pads and poof, problem solved, but not here. I have 20K miles (so there def shouldn't be any pad issues) but I changed out the pads even though they are far from worn but just to rule them out of the equation so they are all brand new with new shims. I also sprayed down the rotors with brake cleaner, lubed up the shims, and lubed up the pins in the boots that hold on the caliper but the sueal hasn't gone away.

The noise started a couple of months ago and has only gotten worse as the weather warms. On a 80+ day, its unbearable.

So to those that have resolved this in other ways then swapping the pads, what did you do? Rotors? At 20k miles do you think I would rotor issues? They didnt seem abnormally worn but they weren't smooth to the touch. They do have a groove in them and if I rub my finger from the center out, I can feel small grooves.

I just don't want to swap out rotors if I don't need to like I did the pads. As of now, the jeep is sitting at the dealership until tomorrow, and they're going to charge me $185 just to looks at the damn thing. I'd like to call them and tell them not to bother with it if there's another thing I can check out besides the rotors.

Any other things to check into besides pads? Please let me know what else you've had to do if you've had this similar issue.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rears were replaced at 12K and then started squealing/chirping again at 30K. I ended up doing them myself (first time was under warranty) but what I found when doing them is that the little pin on the caliper that is supposed to move freely in and out (the rubber boot/pin) was jammed. All the grease had somehow been replaced with dirt/caked up mud. It took a lot of effort to free them, then I greaeed the living daylights out of them again. Seems to work for now. So maybe check those out first??
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Go get it checked out at a local shop if not yourself? The stealership don't need all your money
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Yeah I greased the hell out of that pin on all fours and it's still squeaking really bad. Thanks though.

After the service guys attitude and his comment about it most likely coming from my shocks which are brand new Fox shocks so I highly doubt that, I may just pick it up on Monday and bring it to a brake place instead. My dealership has been pretty good with my Jeep so far but this little service guy has a quick attitude to blurb out "it's because of the lift" so I already see a battle.

I saw another post about a bent flange. Is it possible to bend a flange with 35's on a Rubi with no wheeling? I've only done a few flex tests in a field across the street and little mud/snow sliding over the winter but no actual crawling/wheeling.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Damn jeep has been in the shop since last Friday and they've drivin it several times and now of course they can't get it to squeak!!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

Long story short, the dealership is blaming the Coast drive shaft. They say the dust cover is torn and they need to install a new pinion nut (for $150)!!!

With much help from Sean at Northridge, I have a visual of what to look for and not sure how replacing the nut is going to fix the squeak and not sure how that is the cause.

Before I drop $150 for a damn nut, anybody ever have THIS issue?

Of course I'm on the side with Sean and have a hunch the dealership is looking for something to blame on aftermarket parts. It would really piss me off to pay $150 only to hear the noise 15 mins after pulling out of the lot....

Thanks again to Sean for the support!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

UPDATE----

The dust cover was removed and the squeak is gone. The dust cover is a piece of metal and somehow was cracked and rubbing against the shaft.

NO MORE SQUEAK!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MtraXX
UPDATE----

The dust cover was removed and the squeak is gone. The dust cover is a piece of metal and somehow was cracked and rubbing against the shaft.

NO MORE SQUEAK!
Awesome!!! Glad u got it!

Quick Reply: More Squeaky Brakes thread... 2012 Rubi