Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More regear questions; not sure what all needs to be done for a proper regear.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More regear questions; not sure what all needs to be done for a proper regear.

I have some regear questions. I am stuck on two things.

The shop around the corner, 4Wheel Parts, is asking just over $1700.00 for a regear on my 2010 JK two door with 3.21 gears.
I phoned several shops and received quotes between $1500.00 and $1900.00 for the regear. Then someone turned me on to this cat in Parker that will do a complete regear for $825.00. That is includes the gears.
Here is my issue; after thinking about it, the Parker price is less than the overall cost of parts at the local shop. How can this be? The local shop uses what they refer to as a “master” regear kit. One for each axel. The cost is just under $200.00 each. I do not recall all the components that are involved with that. But they mentioned seals and bearings. Is this a needed item? Should all the seals and bearings be replaced with the regear? I only have 10k miles on my Jeep. They say that when they regear, even a brand new Jeep, they always place new bearings.
They also spoke about pressing on and off bearings. This goes beyond my knowledge level. I am thinking that if bearings need to be pressed, then they might be best off being replaced as each pressing might change their shape a bit.
I sure would like to go to this cat in Parker and save myself almost 50%, but I am concerned that later I will have issues or problems with the gears, axels, bearings, seals and such. If the cat in Parker needs to change the bearings, he said, then the price increases to $1225.00. I am assuming there is tax on some of that. Without tax, the local guy is $1630 or $400.00 more. Also, for $80.00 more, they offer a three year 36000 mile warranty on their labor. If anything breaks, they will fix it for free, plus parts. However, they use G2. The G2 comes with a 10 years warranty. If their gears break, they will replace it for free.

I guess, after all that, my biggest question is, do I need to replace all the bearings and seals and so on?
If you have other opinions to help direct my thought process, then please share.
Thanks,
John
Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head in a cows @$$, but wouldn't you take the butchers word for it?

Always replaces seals and bearings. The ring and pinion heat up, expand and cool down. This is effect the bearings and seals. Also, your adding a larger gear, why not make sure it works correctly. The seals will probably get ruined when everything gets pulled out and bearings are a precision device, if the gears are off a fraction they could break teeth or grenade.

Do it right once, instead of wrong twice. This will cost less in the long run.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Junkie

"OH RICHARD!" "how could you be looking at your documents when your briefcase is over here!?" "Were you watching Spanktrovision?"
Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
I could get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head in a cows @$$, but wouldn't you take the butchers word for it?
Wow, I don't think I have every been told I am stupid in this fashion before. BUT, point received. Thank you for your help.

As for FoxRacingJMC, WHAT?????????
Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is nothing wrong with going to the little guy. If he does gears etc exclusively he would get my business. My local gear guy does gears for $150 an axle. So, $825 seems about right. Figure gears and a rebuild kit (not master rebuild with bearings)run $450 retail. The guy in parker can still make $200 an axle, plus the difference between his cost and what he charges you for the gears..

There is a lot of debate whether you would need bearings, but from what I have read with low mileage you should be ok. If it were my Jeep, and my guy said I didn't need them at 10k I wouldn't bother. With higher mileage I would change them. I am guessing you heard about the guy in Parker through the grape vine. Guys like that don't stay in business long doing bad work. If he has a good solid reputation, I'd go that route...

Figure also, the big shop needs to charge more to make what the little guy makes. The warranty thing is great peace of mind, but gears generally have problems right away.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I would ask the guy what you are getting for 825 if he is not installing new bearings and seals ask how much it would be to have it done. I had mine done new bearing and seals for $1000. Remember that places like 4 wheel parts will mark the gears and install kit up when they sell it to you small shops that don't deal alot of parts don't mark up their parts much if at all so that saves alot of money.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

The shop that did mine used g2 gears which are lifetime warranty and he has a 2 year on labor
Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

He charged $1200.00 with bearing changes.

I guess my biggest fear is, that you get what you pay for. I will have to call this cat again and see what he says.

He does offer a year warranty. But if my Jeep breaks to the point that I have to toe it, that is a long way to go.

Thanks guys.

-John
Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Well I had a small shop do mine. Just cuz they don't charge premium rates doesent mean they don't do good work. He probably has alot less overhead and doesent over charge on labor and parts like a big shop usually does. Also if you blow out your rear ring and pinion you can drive it with the front axle.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Also those big shops hire guys off the street just like anyone else that guy at the small shop might have alot more experience then the guy working at the big shop. I had a truck that was 2 weeks old took it to the dealer for oil change and they dropped the truck off the rack it ripped the front drivers door off and crushed the bed. I dont trust places because of the name I trust experience

Quick Reply: More regear questions; not sure what all needs to be done for a proper regear.