Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More Power?

Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Airaid Cold Air Intake, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, Jet Performance Stage 1, and Cherry Bomb Pro High Flow Exhaust. Much quicker, "peppier", and better MPG's than stock. I think you would be happy with the results I've gotten. Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 85fr16
I am running 33's with 3.73's now and don't wan't to regear. I wish there was someting like the programer I put in my 02 Dodge Cummins that gave me 80 horse for less than $500.00
There is.. Buy a Hypertech.. Of all the power enhacing mods I have this one worked the best. forget CAI and exhaust.. They both improve sound and add a little HP but the real kick came from the Hypertech Programmer. Of course, you will need to use the premium fuel setting since your timing will be increased...
Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just installed my PJ CAI today, cost about %100, pretty solid construction and VERY easy to install (good thing as the directions were all Fed up and BassAckwards). I will get pictures of it tomorrow once my camera is charged. Not sure on the power/MPG yet as havent had alot of time driving with it yet.

For all those that are thinking about the Hypertech MaxPower for an 09 Rubi, I suggest you wait. I ordered mine specificaly for an 09 3.8 chrysler/jeep/dodge (as it is labled) and guess what.......my engine isnt supported. Hypertech assures me they are working on it........we will see.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

You can get the Airaid Intake System from any of the 4x4 suppliers. I just checked one of them and saw it for $244.99. I haven't replaced mine yet, but have read some of the write-ups. They are relatively easy. Just need to remove your stock box, replacing the air tubes and fit the new one in. Easy to do with basic skills.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Airaid CAI would only have been a half hour job if I hadnt spent an hour looking for one damn screw I dropped while working on it. When I could not find it I unbolted everything so I could make sure it did not go into the throttle body somehow. Still havnt found that thing !!

The sound is great, but I think performance is better. Some say they dont do much, but I respectfully disagree. Gave my unit a swift kick in the ass !!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
There is.. Buy a Hypertech.. Of all the power enhacing mods I have this one worked the best. forget CAI and exhaust.. They both improve sound and add a little HP but the real kick came from the Hypertech Programmer. Of course, you will need to use the premium fuel setting since your timing will be increased...
I too have Hypertech, but is there really a difference between the regular and premium fuel settings? In the graph it didn't seem to be a significant difference.

But is still isn't cheap power
And if you use premium fuelcheap power

I'm sorry, someone mentioned something about cheap power it just cracks me up everytime I read this thread.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Cheap is all relative.

Cheap compared to a Hemi repower? Or cheap compared to a Subway Sandwich.

Those that poo poo a cold air intake don't know what they are talking about. Honestly, I did not expect much, and was very surprised. In fact, I just cleaned mine for the first time, and again, got a noticible improvement. I am a realist, and the CAI is cheap ($200 to $400) and relatively easy and quick to install, and will give a noticible power boost. Personally, I did not notice any mpg gain.

Real world example: with 33s and 4.10 gears, I could not use my 6th gear on the freeway at 65 mph. I had to floor it to keep speed, and only used it going down mountain grades. Installed the CAI and I now use my 6th gear all the time on the freeway with power to spare. Still not a hotrod, but at least repectable.

Gears would be great, but relatively expensive. I would like to try the Hypertech, but I have the Jett Stage II chip which I am NOT impressed with.

Not a lot else you can do....
Old 11-20-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all the info guys...I was definetly planning next spring on adding cold air intake (ARE),Gibson exhaust dual SS,Hypertech Programmer...I think should make a difference...Thanks guys...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I love the power gains I got.

Originally Posted by 08 R R Unlimited
Thanks for all the info guys...I was definetly planning next spring on adding cold air intake (ARE),Gibson exhaust dual SS,Hypertech Programmer...I think should make a difference...Thanks guys...
Sounds like your on the same path I was on. I put in the CAI first, definitely noticed the kick in acceleration (sounds cool too). Next jump was a stage 1 Jet chip - OK, but not as noticeble as the CAI.

Next stage was a magnaflow cat-back & 4.88 gears. went to 35's at the same time - still felt an increase in power. Plus the magnaflow sounds AWESOME. CAI was nothing compared to that.

Final upgrade was the hypertech (days later). Honestly, I didn't really notice the difference, until a reset to stock to update the programmer. I noticed the responsiveness missing when I down-programmed.

All in all, it's made a huge difference. When the JK was stock, my "comfortable cruising speed" on the freeway was 70. Now I find myself cruising at 85, and have to lay off the pedal.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default More hp

Changing gears to 5:13 would be a huge improvement in low end torque. Also a CAI (Airaid in mine) and a good catback (Magnaflow) will help somewhat.

I've also noticed a definite difference in mpg with a full bumper instead of a stubby. I like the stubby better though for rock crawling and looks.

Quick Reply: More Power?