Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More Mods - Hence More Questions

Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Mods - Hence More Questions

Have done a few mods to the Rubi and love it. Just got back from a Jeep Jamboree and saw some more stuff to do. Here are the two questions.
i have about 3" of lift on my 2 door Rubi. I know driveshaft angle is a concern long term and I'm at the edge. No problems so far....

Q1) If I buy an aftermarket shaft now with the 3" of lift and decide to go later to 4" or 5" will the aftermarket shaft work with the additional lift or will another one be needed for the increased drive shaft angle?

Q2) Want to move to 35's after 33's wear out. After consideration and reading nearly all the opinions on the forum, I would like to sleeve and gusset my axle for the 35's. a) If I do that, Should I replace the axle in addition to the sleeves? b) should I sleeve internal or external or both? c) down the road if my stock e-lockers fail, will having the sleeves prevent me from putting in air lockers later?

Answers and rational would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKRubi10
Have done a few mods to the Rubi and love it. Just got back from a Jeep Jamboree and saw some more stuff to do. Here are the two questions.
i have about 3" of lift on my 2 door Rubi. I know driveshaft angle is a concern long term and I'm at the edge. No problems so far....

Q1) If I buy an aftermarket shaft now with the 3" of lift and decide to go later to 4" or 5" will the aftermarket shaft work with the additional lift or will another one be needed for the increased drive shaft angle?

Q2) Want to move to 35's after 33's wear out. After consideration and reading nearly all the opinions on the forum, I would like to sleeve and gusset my axle for the 35's. a) If I do that, Should I replace the axle in addition to the sleeves? b) should I sleeve internal or external or both? c) down the road if my stock e-lockers fail, will having the sleeves prevent me from putting in air lockers later?

Answers and rational would be greatly appreciated!
(A1) I ran my coast DS with 3 and then 4" of lift and it worked fine. Contacting the manufacture of the DS's that your considering will provide the specific answer to this question.

(A2) it all depends on what kind of driving you do. Are we talking about a DD, a hard core off road rig, or in the middle. When I built my front D44, I built it with EVO's sleeves and gussets, CM axles and I used CTM U-joints. I ran 37's on that setup for 2 years. my thought process was that I'm hard on equipment and I wanted to prevent trail breaks as much as possible. I ran CM axles because alot of people have broken front factory axles. I used CTM U-joints because a U-joint failure almost always takes out the axle as well. As far as internal sleeves with air lockers I'm not sure, the new ARB lockers for the Rubicon only come in 35 spline. check with the manufacturer of the sleeves your looking at using and find out if their sleeves will work with the new 35 spline axles that are needed for use with the ARB. Another question to ask yourself, is it worth the time and $$$ to do such extensive upgrades to a D44 axle. It my be cost effective to just go to a ProRock 44 or D60, depending on how you use your rig.

Quick Reply: More Mods - Hence More Questions