Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More lift or Flat Fenders?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More lift or Flat Fenders?

I've been wrestling with this option for about a week now, the longer I think about it, the harder it is to make a decision lol so I'm turning to you guys for some thoughts.

2013 JK with TF 1.5" level kit, 1.5" Spidertrax wheel Spacers, OEM rims and Duratrac 33s (275 70 18) is how the rig is set up today.

I am contemplating adding Bushwacker Flat Fenders all around or the Rockkrawler Stcok Mod 2.5" system with OEM fenders. Both are comparible from a cost perspective.

I like the look of the flat fenders, not sure if with my level kit the tires will look to small, too short and possibly to skinny. Also wondering if it will look good with stock bumpers front and rear. If anyone is running this set up, please post some pics, I couldn't find but one pic on the web and the angle was all wrong to have a good look it.

I also know with the RK stock mod system, I'm going to have to add shocks and brake line extensions as well as bump stops. This will escalate the cost roughly $400 over the fenders. I have seen pics of this set up and like it quite a bit.

So I'm thinking, with the Fenders, I could save about $400 over the suspension, achieve a similar look and save a few bucks for a custom exhaust and window tint.

BUT at the same time, I think of what you get for your money with the suspension, and the possible added handling, and ride quality triple rate springs and Bilstien 5100 series shocks would provide over the OEM set up. Plus I like the the fact that this really is a cool mod and provides additional versatility off the pavement even though I am not a hardcore off roader.

My JKU sees a lot of tarmac as a daily driver and am not displeased with its current habbits on the road all though I know the ride could be better with upgraded components. Down the road, maybe a year or so I would like to possibly go a 35" tire and I think either mod will accommodate this when the time comes also contributing to my confusion in regards to making a decision here.

With that, I open it up to all of you, what are your thoughts?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Junkie

I think you are putting way to much thought info this.
Run the flats and call it a day. More lift = more potential issues.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.5" lift with 35's and flatties. Now im dropping to a 3" lift and maybe 37's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1193405928.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	535728
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I may run the MCE's. I want some more room, but I also want something that looks good and even with no flutter.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Flat Fenders ... cut your first before you drop the cash on the aftermarket ones... cost you about 30.00 with the edge trim.

before paint and wheels:

after wheel well paint and wheels

and the tool I used to make sure all 4 fenders were identical:
Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

What size tires are those Surinam? Looks good!

Originally Posted by Surinam
Flat Fenders ... cut your first before you drop the cash on the aftermarket ones... cost you about 30.00 with the edge trim.

before paint and wheels:

after wheel well paint and wheels

and the tool I used to make sure all 4 fenders were identical:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2 or 4 door?

When I had my 2 door I added the RK stock mod lift and then ran 35s.
I really liked the looks and thought it handled great. I really like the bushwacker flat fenders but with that much lift I felt like there would be too much fender room, unless I was running true 37s or more.

Not that my opinion means much but with my new jku I got the flat fenders first (hoping to start install today) then I will decide on the lift after, thinking 1.5 RK this time and run 35s.

The only other advice I have is if you are even thinking 35 plan for it now because chances are you will want them soon. They just look so damn good, like it was meant to be.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Best scenario, would be to go flatty and see what it looks like. If the tires are too small, either remove the lift, or consider going with 35's. But the smaller the lift, the better it is for everything else, geometrically speaking. With 35's you gotta consider gearing...

Sent from my C6616 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Da10A; 03-08-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: More lift or Flat Fenders?