Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More driveshaft questions

Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add TeraFlex front lower/rear upper adj. control arms plus TeraFlex Driveshafts. Take a look at what Toad did to her JK. Compare the TeraFlex rear trackbar bracket to the one you got also.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your oem driveshaft has bearings that spin around the shaft, when you lift the 2 door, it pinches the bearing and overtime they'll break apart...
I guess I'm wondering if the rear pinion angle was changed, would this still happen. As I understand it, if I go with an aftermarket shaft, I will have to change the pinion angle anyway.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bodo
I guess I'm wondering if the rear pinion angle was changed, would this still happen. As I understand it, if I go with an aftermarket shaft, I will have to change the pinion angle anyway.
yep, it still not going to fix the problem completely. I'm running the FT ultimate, adjustable arms top and bottom. The shafts exploded after about 3 months...

You'll buy some extra time on your driveshafts with adjustable arms. Its how long they'll last is the question...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

yep, it still not going to fix the problem completely. I'm running the FT ultimate, adjustable arms top and bottom. The shafts exploded after about 3 months...
Ok, thanks for the answer. Guess a new driveshaft it is. Will the $$ ever stop going out?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bodo
Ok, thanks for the answer. Guess a new driveshaft it is. Will the $$ ever stop going out?
Nope...FT adj upper ctrl arms here I come...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a 4.5 inch lift on my 2 door Rubi...with armor it's at about a 3.75-4 inch lift and I have not had any drive shaft issues yet. Pretty heavy wheeling and 8000 miles on since the lift. Not saying it won't happen but you don't need to do it right away.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brent_f70
I put a 4.5 inch lift on my 2 door Rubi...with armor it's at about a 3.75-4 inch lift and I have not had any drive shaft issues yet. Pretty heavy wheeling and 8000 miles on since the lift. Not saying it won't happen but you don't need to do it right away.
yea im going the same route. when it breaks i will fix it. but once i get the lift on i will wheel it till it does
Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brent_f70
I was thinking about just replacing it now and saving the oem shaft in case for some unknown reason I put the Jeep back to stock. Probably no chance of that but you never know.

I guess the aftermarket shafts would be too long for no lift??

Don't worry, I'll get this whole subject clear as mud before it's over with!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

The control arms are needed to adjust the pinoin angle for the replacement d/s at the axle side. This is where your driveline vibes generate from. The OEM shafts do not need this because of the type of joints used at each end of the d/s. The area that damage normally occurs on the OEM d/s is at the transfer case, not the axle. So adjusting the OEM d/s pinoin angle (at the axle) will not "fix" the angle at the t/c, so the OEM d/s will still tear itself up over time at the t/c side (most of the time). Also, on the JK, the front OEM d/s tends to have more issues than the rear after 3.5"-4" or more of lift. This is because the front d/s will hit the crossmember frame of the t/c when the front axle droops or flexes. It puts additional added stress/pressure on the t/c side of the d/s when this happens.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
The control arms are needed to adjust the pinoin angle for the replacement d/s at the axle side. This is where your driveline vibes generate from. The OEM shafts do not need this because of the type of joints used at each end of the d/s. The area that damage normally occurs on the OEM d/s is at the transfer case, not the axle. So adjusting the OEM d/s pinoin angle (at the axle) will not "fix" the angle at the t/c, so the OEM d/s will still tear itself up over time at the t/c side (most of the time). Also, on the JK, the front OEM d/s tends to have more issues than the rear after 3.5"-4" or more of lift. This is because the front d/s will hit the crossmember frame of the t/c when the front axle droops or flexes. It puts additional added stress/pressure on the t/c side of the d/s when this happens.
You mean I'm gonna need a front driveshaft too? Thats the first I've heard of that. This Jeep must think I'm made of money.
I found this in the Answers to every question faq and it's more toward automatics. Mine's a 6 speed.
Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you should really consider replacing the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts tend to be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the skid plate. An alternative to this would be to remove the automatic transmission skid plate or cut out a notch along the edge to prevent the drive shaft boot from making contact with it.

Last edited by Bodo; 06-11-2008 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: More driveshaft questions