Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More driveshaft questions

Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More driveshaft questions

I am getting ready to install a 4" lift on my 2dr Rubi. I already have the RC lift, and have Currie adj. front lower control arms on order. Should be here tomorrow. This question is about changing out the rear driveshaft. For those that have had problems, did you change the pinion angle.? I don't know if this would have helped as I am still learning about such things. Or is the rear shaft just too short after lifting? Sorry to keep asking but heh, that's how to learn right?

Last edited by Bodo; 06-08-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Adding to my own post. This would be a good one for Tom Woods or JE Reel to reply to. Maybe explaining the ins and outs of this. I have done some google searches and found plenty of driveshaft pages and most require a degree in algebra or geometry or trig and such which I have neither. Come to think about it, it's been a long time since I was in school.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just changed my rear (installed a JE Reel 1310) and didn't change my pinion angle (that I know of). If it did I don't notice. The replacement yokes and shaft fit right in the old position. The u joint is just MUCH better and stronger than the CV style OEM shaft.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

You don't need adjustable lowers on a 2 door, you need adjustable uppers. Most aftermarket d/s recomend 0 to 2 degrees for the pinion angle. You have to lengthen the uppers to decrease the angle. If you shorten the lowers to decrease the angle, then you will move the axle too far forward and the tire will most likely rub.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

You don't need adjustable lowers on a 2 door
I got adjustable lowers for the front to adjust my caster. I didnt want to cut out the tabs for the front mounts like RC calls for using their cam bolts. I know to change the rear pinion angle I will need adjustable uppers for the rear which I intend to order.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Bodo...as I stated above, I put in a JE Reel rear shaft this weekend and now have a driveline vibration. Turns out, it's due to the pinion angle not being set correctly. Gonna be putting in some adjustable upper control arms in the rear.

Lesson learned, when putting in a lift kit, just spend the money and get adjustable everything...it's cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Hey Bodo...as I stated above, I put in a JE Reel rear shaft this weekend and now have a driveline vibration. Turns out, it's due to the pinion angle not being set correctly.
I'm still wondering about the oem shaft. Is it too short after a lift or would changing the pinion angle be all that needs to be done?

Anyway, glad youre gonna get rid of the vibration.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bodo
I'm still wondering about the oem shaft. Is it too short after a lift or would changing the pinion angle be all that needs to be done?

Anyway, glad youre gonna get rid of the vibration.
your oem driveshaft has bearings that spin around the shaft, when you lift the 2 door, it pinches the bearing and overtime they'll break apart...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
your oem driveshaft has bearings that spin around the shaft, when you lift the 2 door, it pinches the bearing and overtime they'll break apart...

What Porky said (no insult intended). In addition you will stress the boot and you will end up slinging all of your grease out.

I have a 4 door and I got away with running my factory drive shafts for about 6 months before I had to replace them. I replaced the rear because of trail damage, but the front finally started to make noise so I replace it too.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

here's what a torn boot is!

Quick Reply: More driveshaft questions