Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More backspacing or spacers?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More backspacing or spacers?

JK Newbie here. Getting prepared for some mods to my JK. I am going to 35s from the Rubi tires and like the ProComp 7105 rims. They seem to have 4.25 backspacing. I like the idea of the tire having a wider stance. I think less backspacing would accomplish this. I could also use the spacers with the backspacing as well and achieve the same stability and wider stance. I am concerned that i am adding another component into the mix between the wheel and the axle that could possibly fail. Does it make more sense to go with less backspacing only or more backspacing with spacers. Forgive me if I am getting confused about this. reading too many opinions, just trying to find an easy answer.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by zxqwertyxz
JK Newbie here. Getting prepared for some mods to my JK. I am going to 35s from the Rubi tires and like the ProComp 7105 rims. They seem to have 4.25 backspacing. I like the idea of the tire having a wider stance. I think less backspacing would accomplish this. I could also use the spacers with the backspacing as well and achieve the same stability and wider stance. I am concerned that i am adding another component into the mix between the wheel and the axle that could possibly fail. Does it make more sense to go with less backspacing only or more backspacing with spacers. Forgive me if I am getting confused about this. reading too many opinions, just trying to find an easy answer.
There will likely be many opinions here. My opinion is that there is absolutely no difference between a good quality aluminum spacer (such as the ones made by Spidertrax and Terraflex) and an aluminum or steel wheel with less backspacing. As long as everything is torqued to specifications, you should be fine either way you go. Spacers on stock wheels will allow you to maintain the stock look with a wider or taller stance while different wheels will obviously give your Jeep a different look.

It's your personal choice, but don't let the functionality of either affect your decision.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running spidertrax w crager rims that have 4.5 BS My totlal BS is 3in. Only thing I see failing early on this setup is the wheel bearings, but imo , anything less than the stock bs is gonna stress the bearings more, so I guess it's up to you, I like the look and stability myself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	173_7335.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	13593
Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you can get wheels with less back spacing, i would go that route and for no other reason than the fact that it's easier to pull your rotors or work on your axles if need be. aside from that, it really is no big deal to run both.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would go without the spacers just because its another part with another price tag. Just get the wheels with less backspacing and save the money from spacers.

Quick Reply: More backspacing or spacers?