Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More 2.5 lift Questions

Old 03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 2.5 lift Questions

I'm still trying to pick a 2.5 lift for my 2008 JKU... I am considering this 2.5 spring kit from RC after a short conversation with them but I still have questions and would like your opinions.

this is the kit in consideration...$329.00 springs and shocks
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2perf.html

Everybody here seems to like the Teraflex products and I am not counting them out, I am trying to look at the best bang for my buck.

The biggest question I have with the above mentioned spring kit is why am I told by the sales guys that I do not need any of the same brackets (front/rear track bar) or brake line relocation parts with the spring kit and do need them with the spacer kits. I asked if they are not needed why are they provided and the answer i got was that they are for future upgrades....confusing

I have a limited budget, I want the most/best for my money and with so many kits that vary in parts so much it's difficult to make a decision being new to the game.

Also, the guys at my local 4Wheel parts store want to sell me a Superlift 2.5 spacer kit with Nitro shocks for $300...

Thanks again

Last edited by petethekiller; 03-14-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petethekiller
I'm still trying to pick a 2.5 lift for my 2008 JKU... I am considering this 2.5 spring kit from RC after a short conversation with them but I still have questions and would like your opinions.

this is the kit in consideration...$329.00 springs and shocks
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2perf.html

Everybody here seems to like the Teraflex products and I am not counting them out, I am trying to look at the best bang for my buck.

The biggest question I have with the above mentioned spring kit is why am I told by the sales guys that I do not need any of the same brackets (front/rear track bar) or brake line relocation parts with the spring kit and do need them with the spacer kits. I asked if they are not needed why are they provided and the answer i got was that they are for future upgrades....confusing

I have a limited budget, I want the most/best for my money and with so many kits that vary in parts so much it's difficult to make a decision being new to the game.

Thanks again
I think the best answer for you is "do a search on the subject." I honestly believe there is a ton of information on the same subject that will be helpful to you.
I just searched for Rough Country lifts and there really was a lot to offer you. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You were told that you don't 'need' anything else because you don't need anything else. The other components are a preference, and no one can tell you whether you will or will not want and/or need anything else.

If you want to recenter the rear axle, then get a trackbar bracket or adjustable.
If you want to recenter the front axle, then get a trackbar bracket or adjustable.
If you want your swaybars level, then get longer rear links and move the stock rears up front. Or get adjustables. Or get disconnects.
If you will be flexing, get longer brake lines or extension brackets. Or make brackets.
If you want caster correction, look into Cams/Brackets/Fixed arms/Adjustable arms.

As was mentioned in your other post asking this same question, you will be fine with shock extensions, so you don't even 'need' the shocks. And you don't 'need' the coils, as you would be ok with spacers.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

I guess what I want to know is what parts or lift do I need to make everything safe for both the road and trail. I know that just installing spacers will effectively lift the truck, but at what cost? I want to do this right but not empty the bank. I think the stock shocks are crappy so I was considering kits with shocks...

I plan on flexing the Jeep every once in a while....is a spacer kit like the Teraflex 2.5 kit or the RC 2.5 series 2 kit sufficient form y needs? Yes I want my axles centered too.

Sorry for being a pain, I just like to know what I am getting into.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess what I want to know is what parts or lift do I need to make everything safe for both the road and trail. I know that just installing spacers will effectively lift the truck, but at what cost? I want to do this right but not empty the bank. I think the stock shocks are crappy so I was considering kits with shocks...

I plan on flexing the Jeep every once in a while....is a spacer kit like the Teraflex 2.5 kit or the RC 2.5 series 2 kit sufficient form y needs? Yes I want my axles centered too.

I don't think you can go wrong with a TF kit whether it is a BB or coils. Lots of people run BB lifts without any problems and I am one of them. I think the kits come with a trackbar relocation bracket don't they Otherwise you might want to invest in an adjustable track bar for the front anyways. If you plan on going offroad a lot I would suggest getting springs if you can affoard it but again its not necessary.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

After alot of research I ended purchasing http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=TF-1251000 from Northridge 4x4.

I did add the lower control arm to the purchase, as I read and confirmed that the LCA will make a difference at highway speeds.

In all my research i have not found a negative on Teraflex quality or their support.

I am replacing a poorly installed BB in the coming days, on the 08 JK I recently purchased.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rc 2.5 lift

I've had the rc 2.5 lift for almost 2 yrs and it's great it rides like stock and I'm running 315/70/17 oh the jeep u don't need the brackets or the brake lines I wheel it often and I flex it out to no end I would def recommend it
Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are not being a pain, you have your reasons for asking and this IS the place to get answers!

I was in the same place you are, 2 weeks ago. I am on a somewhat limited budget, but I didn't want to make a mistake that would cost more in the long run.

I knew I did not want a BB, but it is a very good option for you. I understand they work just fine on and off road. I don't know anyone personally that has one, but looking around on the forum, many do and they like what they offer, getting your JK up, inexpensively. You can sometimes find BB on the "for sale" board here, since some are able to upgrade and sell the BB's. This could be a good option for you.

The RC 2.5 is tempting, but as another poster stated you will "need" other parts. I use this term tongue in cheek. It would be nice to recenter your axle, not necessary. It would be nice to have all parts, links, brake line extender, etc., not necessary.

I toiled long and hard on the RC 2.5 lift. I would never bash a company for making a product that is affordable and will do what it advertises. That said, I wonder about its shocks, and if they are only as good as the stock ones, what else is going to as good as the stock anything? My point is, I wanted better springs, ones that won't sag under the weight of my bumpers, and anything else I install. I want a lift that will be better in ride quality that stock. I want a lift that will enhance my experience with my Jeep, psychobabble? Maybe, but flowery words still describe what we are all looking for in lifts.

In the end, I ordered a 2.5 TF lift, and it gets delivered today! I am using shock extensions for now until I can afford to get shock that are way better than stock and are adjustable. I also have been at this a while, I have picked up some nice used JKS adjustable trackbars for a GREAT price. I also found a nice set of JKS Dosco's for a good deal too.

Perhaps you too can do the same thing. But it takes time. I would not steer you away from the RC lift, since it is going to do all you want now, but what about in the future? If you decide to upgrade, or really like 4 wheeling, or whatever, you may want better components, why not start with a better coil kit and add to it.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just my 2 cents. Get the terraflex coil lift with new shocks. It rides great, comes with real track bar bracket and looks awesome. Comes with everything u "need.". Plus very upgradable in future. Everyone talks great about it for a reason.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feasterdef
Just my 2 cents. Get the terraflex coil lift with new shocks. It rides great, comes with real track bar bracket and looks awesome. Comes with everything u "need.". Plus very upgradable in future. Everyone talks great about it for a reason.
I will second that

Quick Reply: More 2.5 lift Questions