Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MoPOWER PLEEEEEAAAZZZZZ!!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. 3,200 RPM seems to be okay for a V-6 at our typical highway speeds. yeah, I factured in our altitude as well to be a good portion of the problem. appreciate the help!

Last edited by 71bee; 11-02-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Yep. The OP lives in Salt Lake City, UT--4226 feet above sea level.

So, he has about a 13% loss in horsepower just due to the alititude and probably needs to be running at 2700 rpm to produce the same rear wheel horsepower as a sea level 2500 rpm.

As a result, he should regear an extra level lower than a sea level guy.

In the meantime, he should buy the Superships Flashpaq for $309 shipped from Northridge4x4, and using his 6 speed, stay in whatever gear keeps his rpm levels over 2500 on the highway/freeway.
Obivously from everything on this forum about SC flashpaq, it's definitely worth the $(for an auto)......honestly, is it worth $300 for a 6-speed 2dr X that's basically STOCK....(no need for tire size/gear change adjustment, tpms option, 4hi lockers, etc)
Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71bee
there is a HEMI conversion available, but I was quoted somewhere around $13,000. not feesable for me.

Quote:
Where did you get that quote? Was that just parts? If you are not worried about voiding your warranty, then the best bang for the buck is probably a super charger (Avenger).

Yes, where did you get that quote? If that is for the engine, parts and labor I am interested. The numbers I have are in the vicinity of $20K. where as the SC is closer to $6-7K.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Just look at the size and weight of the JK then compare that to the TJ. The 4:56 gears in my TJ, made all the difference in the world even with the automatic and 33's. Put 4:88 in JK with 35's and it still is FLAT especially from a start from a light (automatic) 1st gear lasts 5 feet, second foot to the floor to 50 all over fifty is tolerable much better than 3:73's still sucks in the mountains, how sad.
Will one of those Superchips Flash Pacq's help? And do you need to have a installed non-oem chip? Is that something else I need to buy...All I know that mini-van engine ain't gona last at those continual 4k-5k rpm shifts..I have been beat off the line by loaded dump trucks and a couple of cattle trucks. have to get tented windows OH the shame.....
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

spend 1500 bucks on the headers from https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=headers

and 400 on exhaust and a panel filter... and consider superchips... its not the 300 end all be all, i have had a lot of issues with their tune on mine with pinging, maybe when i get back from leave ill figure it out...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use the Unichip and love it. I hear only good things about the Superchip so either would be good. Dual exhaust, CAI, headers, bla bla bla, will only give you minimal HP boost. You probably won't even be able to tell a difference other then a better sound. If you want your jeep to sound meaner then right on , throw those headers and duals on. Just take caution with hearders, Burnsville Off Road told me that they have a tendency to melt a few things under the hood

You want more power, as everyone else has said. Regear

If you are running stock or smaller tires and don't plan to ever go bigger go with 4. 56s or 4.88s, 35" go with 5.13, 37" 5.38s
Old 06-08-2010, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Ive had superchips before on vehicles and the difference is pretty amazing. but im going to have to look into headers.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gijeep
spend 1500 bucks on the headers from https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=headers

and 400 on exhaust and a panel filter... and consider superchips... its not the 300 end all be all, i have had a lot of issues with their tune on mine with pinging, maybe when i get back from leave ill figure it out...
Thanks for the plug - we dyno'd a 2008 auto JK with 4:88 and 35's

Stock:
125 rear wheel HP
149 rear wheel Trq

Headers:
149 rear wheel HP
181 rear wheel Trq

We installed a Flow Master Hush power inline with his Magna Flow - it sounds great. We''l have video and charts up soon in our thread.

RIPPTECH