Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MoPOWER PLEEEEEAAAZZZZZ!!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read all the stuff about the superchip flashpaq. Finally got some new tires and I knew I needed to get the speedi calibrated. So for the most bang for the buck I got the superchip flashpaq. Noticed big difference right after disconnecting it. I even noticed a smile on my face comming out of the stop light and actually being the first one out the gate. Bottom line is 1 of the many things the flashpaq did was give the jeep more pep and quicker response. I'm sure others will chime in but I've read adding even more of the affordable mods like exhaust adds more combined with the flashpaq
Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my superchip from nothridge4x4 (cheapest on the internet) and it is AWESOME! I have the 3.21 gears and 33's and wont even consider regeearing unless I go bigger... It fixed my speed/rpms/gasmileage calculator/ distance traveled/ hopefully mpgs not sure yet/ and def gave me power!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Former Member

Supercharge it. http://www.rippmods.com
Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 71bee
your the 1st person I've heard say that. if you check out the specs, the 4.0 was a more powerful engine than the lowly mini van V-6. there's more torque involved in the I-6 configuration.
OK, I checked out the specs (as I'm sure you did).

4.0L = 190hp and 225 ft/lbs

3.8L = 202hp and 237 ft/lbs

What specs did you come up with that made you think the 4.0L was a more powerful engine?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Ron, people parrot what they think they know or what they've heard. The JK's V6 has been unfairly maligned by the mis or uninformed since it made its debut.

Phil Howell, editor of 4WD and Sport Utility Magazine, in his column last month:

"The JK's V-6 that many assail as weak is in fact stronger than the 4.0L it replaces, especially at higher rpm. So gear your JK down and go for it."
Nice to hear, particularly coming from someone who knows what they're talking about.

/soapbox
Old 10-22-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 71bee
BTW, why did they ever get rid of that awesome 4.0 I-6????
Because Mopar could not get the engine to meet the new emission standards so it had to be dropped.. And as for the 4.0 having more power...I don't think so. If it had more power then the other members of the Jeep club would not be hollering at me on the CB to slow down so they can catch up...

If you want for power go get the Superchips Flashpaq. If you want more crawling power get the gears..

I owned the Unichip for 2 years and it never put out horsepower like the Flashpaq does its just amazing!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepnick
superchips, def makes a difference and doesnt effect your warranty like regearing
You bet it does. Do NOT tell the dealer you have a tuner, and remove the tune before bringing it into the dealership.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
OK, I checked out the specs (as I'm sure you did).

4.0L = 190hp and 225 ft/lbs

3.8L = 202hp and 237 ft/lbs

What specs did you come up with that made you think the 4.0L was a more powerful engine?
I totally concur, the old antiquated 4.0 was nothing but a wimpy oil leaking fuel hog. Thank goodness they did not put that thing in the JK.

The 3.8 is definitely a better motor but a Hemi option sure would have been nice

My suggestion for your first option would definitely be the Superchips Flashpaq.

Last edited by Windrocker; 10-22-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Re gear
More air in
More exhaust out
Then drive it like you stole it

Gerry
Old 10-22-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Omaha
Ron, people parrot what they think they know or what they've heard. The JK's V6 has been unfairly maligned by the mis or uninformed since it made its debut.

Phil Howell, editor of 4WD and Sport Utility Magazine, in his column last month:

Nice to hear, particularly coming from someone who knows what they're talking about.

/soapbox
Yeah, I know. But I always wonder why they do that.

I drove behind the 4.0 for 14 years (XJ 14 yrs, MJ 7 yrs). I liked the idea of a straight 6. I did a lot of "tinkering" on the one in the XJ. Cam, Borla headers/exhaust, ignition system. I wish I had dyno'd it.
I was disappointed to see the 4.0 go away.
I am happy with the performance of the 3.8 with 4.10 gears and the auto.
Very disappointed I can't "tinker" with it. My choice, though. I don't want to jeopardize the lifetime warranty, and there is a lack of good performance gains with add-ons, except for the supercharger, of coarse.