Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mopar Sun Bonnet on 2-door 2014 JK

Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar Sun Bonnet on 2-door 2014 JK

I'm looking for inputs on a a Safari style top for my 2door 2014 JK hardtop only (part #82209928). Read through a lot of threads and had about decided to go with the Mopar Sun Bonnet over Bestop even though it's more expensive - main factor being the header bar. However, it seems most of the positive reviews are for early JKs and this review on Amazon for a 2013 install has me concerned:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Genuine Jeep Accessories 82209928 Sun Bonnet

Basically the reviewer says the top bunches up and the center strap doesn't fit around the 2013 sound bar. Anyone seen these issues or confirm that they don't happen? Any other known issues with the Sun Bonnet on a late model JK? Basically I'm looking for something to make me feel like I should go ahead and hit the Pay Now button.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Bump... no inputs at all? Anyone with a late model (2012-2014) 2 door hard top and Sun Bonnet that they love or hate?

Last edited by jsiggy; 03-16-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are really overpriced for what they are.

If you have a hardtop you can run just the front freedom panels as a sun shade.

Another option would be a Spiderwebshade or Dirty Dog type sun shade....no header needed and can stay on your Jeep year round
Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks OH9JK - good points. Originally I was thinking seriously about the SpiderWebShade - love the look and read great things. I don't expect to be in rain much in this configuration but was still thinking it would be smart to have a little protection in case I got caught in a surprise spring/fall storm. May still go this route.

I didn't know you could run with just the Freedom Panels. I'm going to give that a shot and see how I like it.

Still interested in hearing late model 2 door hardtop Sun Bonnet experiences if anyone has them.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

What I like about the spiderweb shade is, on a two door the small one fits between the header and the sound bar so it's really not visible unless you're inside the jeep.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

I have a gearshade and like it. I do like to connectors for the spiderweb shade but the gearshade has some storage pockets and is pretty heavy duty. Plus it is operated and owned by one person and I like the guy. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2610703212.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	538198

Edit: what I meant by connectors is where it attaches to the windshield. I am going to replace mine with little carabiners. (Gearshade has little plastic ones)

Last edited by supdoggen; 03-16-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Mopar Sun Bonnet on 2-door 2014 JK