Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MOPAR Lift

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOPAR Lift

I apologize in advance if a thread already exists for this topic...I tried searching for it with no success.

I have a 2010 4-door JK, and I'd really like to get a lift. Naturally, I'm a little hesitant after reading the story about a lift potentially voiding the warranty (or flagging the vehicle in the system). It seems like a lot of trouble that I don't have time to deal with.

That being said, should I consider the MOPAR lift? How much more expensive is the MOPAR equipment/installation than an after-market shop?

Lastly, I purchased the EasyCare extended warranty (this is my fourth Jeep and I've always benefited from EasyCare)...should I factor that into my decision?

I have an appointment at my dealership (Southern Chrysler Jeep in Chesapeake, VA) on Friday, and I plan to talk to the service guys about options...

I appreciate any insight.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by willisma
I apologize in advance if a thread already exists for this topic...I tried searching for it with no success.

I have a 2010 4-door JK, and I'd really like to get a lift. Naturally, I'm a little hesitant after reading the story about a lift potentially voiding the warranty (or flagging the vehicle in the system). It seems like a lot of trouble that I don't have time to deal with.

That being said, should I consider the MOPAR lift? How much more expensive is the MOPAR equipment/installation than an after-market shop?

Lastly, I purchased the EasyCare extended warranty (this is my fourth Jeep and I've always benefited from EasyCare)...should I factor that into my decision?

I have an appointment at my dealership (Southern Chrysler Jeep in Chesapeake, VA) on Friday, and I plan to talk to the service guys about options...

the mopar kit was just an over priced repackaged rubicon express lift and i say was because rubicon express went out of business. having said that, it makes no difference if you get a "mopar lift" installed as your dealership can still void your warranty. now, this is not to say that all dealerships will void your warranty for installing a lift and the ones who are nice and won't, won't regardless of who makes the lift.

what i would recommend is checking with your dealership to find out what they will allow. just know, every dealership will handle this differently and you're more likely to get a favorable response if you are an actual and regular customer of theirs (i.e. get oil changes and service performed there).
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer wanted about 900 to install the MOPAR kit....
They said any lift would void my waranty related to anything that could go wrong because of the lift.
A offroad shop quoted me $450 do a 3inch Zone kit (made by BDS)

Can you update us on what your dealer tells you?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback - I'll let you guys know what I hear from the dealership on Friday.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah it really depends on your dealer. When i first bought my Jeep the aftermarket rep was pushing the MOPAR lift big time on me and even said that if i dont get the MOPAR lift that i can void my warranty using another brand. Well months went by and so happen to run into the owner of the Jeep Dealership while getting my oil changed.

I asked him straight forward about potentially voiding my warranty with a lift and he replied in a straight forward manner by telling me he will honor my warranty no matter what brand lift i use as long as i dont go over 2.5 inches. So i tested the owners word and started asking all the different service reps the same question and got back the same response, Im good with any lift as long as i dont go over 2.5.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had the Mopar 2" lift and I now have a Full Traction 3" lift(which actually netted me about 3.5"). Both were installed by my dealer.

As it relates to warranty, what WOL and others have said is pretty much it. Discuss with dealer beforehand. Every dealer has a different take on the flagging. It's also been the case that if you have a good and consistence relationship with your dealer, they will side in your favor in some of the gray areas of warranty. Whether it's the Mopar lift or another lift, once different from stock, the suspension is no longer part of your standard vehicle warranty. The rest of your warranty holds, unless... the lift or how it's installed was a factor in drivetrains wear or breakdown. There are many excellent threads on what else can happen or what should be changed if you go over 3-3.5" lift because of angles and forces on driveline.

Back to the Mopar lift... Currently it's made for mopar by Superlift. they have bilstein 5100s as part of it. I ran it for 6 months with 35 tires and for a week in Moab. Definite improvement over stock both on & off road.

The reason I switched was that after Moab and other difficult trails, I found that at full flex, I was rubbing my tires and scraped brackets and control arms a few times and realized I need something beefier for the future scraps and and a little more height at full flex.

I used my dealer because they "own" the quality of their installation and that I have negotiated discounted labor rates that are competitive with other non-dealer installers, unless you do it yourself. Again it all depends on the dealer and your relationship with the service dept.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2011 2dr with the mopar 2in lift.
The right rear spring broke at about 2k miles and it took two weeks for a new one. The rear shock bushings went bad at 38k still waiting for shocks. Last night I found that my steering stabilizer is leaking all this at before 4.5k. The dealership said that they will take care of everything for me.The dealership installed lift before purchased it.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willisma

The mopar kit is cr-p.

If you want 2 - 2.5 inches of lift, go with teraflex or OME. Note: OME may give you a bit closer to 3" before settling, especially if you go with the HD springs.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lopezv123
The mopar kit is cr-p.

If you want 2 - 2.5 inches of lift, go with teraflex or OME. Note: OME may give you a bit closer to 3" before settling, especially if you go with the HD springs.
or Zone.......
Old 05-27-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for all the feedback.

the parts manager and a service salesman at southern chrysler dealer in chesapeake, va both stated that a lift won't necessarily void the warranty...the only way it would be an issue is if there was damage to the drivetrain that was directly linked to the lift. so, they recommended that i don't go "over the top" with it. they did give me a quote on a 2.5" suspension lift...$1500, which i realize is pretty steep for that size, so i'm looking at some of the local shops.

that being said, if i choose to get a lift at a local shop (probably 2.5"), would i have to immediately switch out the wheels/tires, or could i essentially do each modification one at a time? if i want to buy the lift first, would i need spacers for the stock rims/tires? i have the 18" gladiators that came stock on my sahara. just trying to spread out the cost a little bit...

thanks again!

Quick Reply: MOPAR Lift