Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mopar hitch receiver, worth the money?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar hitch receiver, worth the money?

Okay, the time has come and I need to add a hitch to my jeep. I see that there are many options for buying a standard 2" receiver and the prices range from about $70 for aftermarket to $140 for mopar. Is it worth spending the money on the mopar or is it safe to say a Rough Country or similar brand will hold up just as well for about half the price? Help me decide, my budget's tight and I don't want to spend twice as much for just a name.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen a few threads about the smitty for under $60. I spent the extra on the Mopar for piece of mind.

F.Y.I. go to Jeepcarparts1.com and get a HUGE discount on the Mopar hitch and wiring. I usually copy the part numbers from quadratec and paste them on that site for a quote. its worth it.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know if the Mopar one is worth $140, but I've seen it for less that $50 on CL and ebay... FWIW.

h ttp://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/1953162929.html

Last edited by BioHazard; 10-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Bought my Mopar hitch at 4 Wheel Parts for $30.00. I was standing there and saw it taken off a new 2010 Rubicon that was undergoing major work. I mentioned to the mechanic that I needed to order a hitch and he called the owner and said $30.00. The jeep had 260 miles.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I check CL and ebay pretty much everyday because I know there are deals to be had. I've also been checking the JK-forum sales area, but they go like lightning. The cheapest one I've seen on ebay went for $50 plus another $20 for shipping and it was pretty rough looking. For $70, I'd probably go with a new aftermarket one. In my area, there aren't a lot of jeep products for the jk that go on CL.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogmehC
I don't know if the Mopar one is worth $140, but I've seen it for less that $50 on CL and ebay... FWIW.

h ttp://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/1953162929.html
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a great deal. Maybe I'll get lucky and they won't mind selling to an out of state (er).

Quick Reply: Mopar hitch receiver, worth the money?