Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails vs. Rubicon Rails?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sho_me
Stock rubi sliders are junk, I've already pushed mine up into my rockers. Rocker was pushed up a little as well as losing some paint. Buy some quality ones that bolt to your frame, a.k.a. Poison Spyder etc.
Mine have a bunch of scars from rocks, and I have completely supported my JK on the driver's side while winching. No problems. I even managed to slam down on the passenger one. I'm not the most hardcore user, but they seem very durable considering the source and construction.

I intended to install new ones as I have on previous Jeeps. Knowing what I know now, I will likely shop for a used one if I bend one.

The added bars that some have welded on, or come included in the "enhanced" version, may make the overall package stronger. However, the further they extend from the attachment point they more force (from leverage) there is at the attachment point. All things being equal, the added bars (levers) will make the entire bar bend up with less force. I do agree they may still be more functional in other ways, but stronger? ... not by my way of looking at it.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

you mean the side plate above the rail like these?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

I will have to get pics tomarrow. Not real pretty.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
you are the first one i have heard complain about them lets see some pics of what happened
here is a pic of the driver side. You can see the gap in the body seem, is worse in person. The second pic shows were the rock rail came up and hit the rocker. My rocker is pushed up a little, bulges between the doors. Not sure if I can get a good pic of that though.
You can see the rear of the rail is touching the fender, should have a nice little gap there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_060808_001.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	9913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_060808_002.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	9914  
Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sho_me
here is a pic of the driver side. You can see the gap in the body seem, is worse in person. The second pic shows were the rock rail came up and hit the rocker. My rocker is pushed up a little, bulges between the doors. Not sure if I can get a good pic of that though.
You can see the rear of the rail is touching the fender, should have a nice little gap there.

I think there's a difference in functionality and ABUSE.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

A rockrail should take abuse, that's why they are there.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Super old thread but I just picked up a set of these and noticed some things others have missed. The enhanced rail has reinforced mounting mounts with additional gusseting, and a wider flat piece of metal that runs along the bottom facing the ground.

Frame mounted sliders will obviously be more stout. But I figure that these are a great compromise between weight, ground clearance and cost. For the overland style wheeling I do, you want a good set of sliders. But they don't need to be as intense as ones that will see mostly rock crawling. They have the added benefit of being a better jacking point and functioning as a step to get in and load things onto the roof.

Quick Reply: Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails vs. Rubicon Rails?