Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner

Old 09-21-2020, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner

Anyone used MCCC in their 3.6? I’ve used it on tons of vehicles with no issue and great results, but I used it on my 3.6 JK for the first time the other day and I swear half the can just poured back out of the throttle body once I shut the engine off. I can tell the TB is angled downwards, I assume that’s to help keep liquids from making it to the engine. But because of that I had to turn the engine back on several times to get all of it sucked into the manifold. I never got the smoke I normally get either. Makes me wonder if any of it actually reached the CC or if it’s just sitting in a pool somewhere. Is there a better way that someone knows of?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Don't you spray it in with engine running like Seafoam? Then take the vehicle for a good thrashing on the highway at night.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Don't you spray it in with engine running like Seafoam? Then take the vehicle for a good thrashing on the highway at night.
yep you spray it in while it’s running, when the can is empty you’re supposed to turn the engine back off. But when I turned it off the stuff just came pouring out. Turned it back on again and let it run for a minute or so to try and get it all in, turned it off and it started pouring again. Took about 5 tries and 5 minutes of running to get it to where it wasn’t coming back out anymore. Never had that happen on any vehicle ever. I feel like it didn’t even do anything because most of it poured out and I never got that huge smoke cloud. I’ve had people call the fire department before while using this stuff on other vehicles but this time I didn’t have so much as a puff of smoke
Old 09-21-2020, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've used it a couple times in my 3.8, as recently as last month actually. The first time I used it, there was smoke. The next time, not so much- I assume because there wasn't much carbon build up? The most recent time here, no smoke either, but it does seem to run a little better. I try to run most of the can through it then kill it while spraying the last little bit in there. Let it sit for 20-30 mins to "heat soak" and then start it up and go drive it. That's the procedure I found and used years ago, seemed to work out alright. I don't see why it would be any different on the 3.6 but now you've got me wanting to try it.

What kind of mileage were you at? I think I was at 75-100k, then 125k, and then at 220k. After 150k, I also started using a little seafoam here and there as well as 87 non ethanol and driving it HARD up mountains off-road. Maybe the additional stress burns the carbon naturally without additional cleaners?? Dunno, but it still runs so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Following. I'm at 95k miles on my '13 and have been thinking about this, but have never done it.
The following users liked this post:
donjuan79 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've used it a couple times in my 3.8, as recently as last month actually. The first time I used it, there was smoke. The next time, not so much- I assume because there wasn't much carbon build up? The most recent time here, no smoke either, but it does seem to run a little better. I try to run most of the can through it then kill it while spraying the last little bit in there. Let it sit for 20-30 mins to "heat soak" and then start it up and go drive it. That's the procedure I found and used years ago, seemed to work out alright. I don't see why it would be any different on the 3.6 but now you've got me wanting to try it.

What kind of mileage were you at? I think I was at 75-100k, then 125k, and then at 220k. After 150k, I also started using a little seafoam here and there as well as 87 non ethanol and driving it HARD up mountains off-road. Maybe the additional stress burns the carbon naturally without additional cleaners?? Dunno, but it still runs so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
I’ve got 50,000 on it which is why I decided to do it. But I think the reason I didn’t get any smoke was because most of it poured back out any time I turned off the engine. I vaguely remember something about 4 cyl needs one can, V6s needing two cans, and V8s need three cans and I only used one, but the fact remains that most of it poured out anyway. I feel like two cans would have been double the waste. I’ve used this stuff on at least 20 different vehicles over the years and never once had this happen. But again I do feel like the TB is angled downward to keep fluids from being sucked in. Hoping someone else that has done it successfully on the 3.6 chimes in
Old 09-28-2020, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Did you have the engine running about 1500-2000rpm while doing it? Also water/meth injection kits keep the engine clean forever. They are available for NA engines and one can run just water in them but the meth has performance value but not more than 50/50 mix ratio.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the smoke has absolutely nothing to do with carbon build up. If you put this stuff in a brand new engine rolling out of the factory the same smoke will happen. Not too unlike what happens in an air show when the pilot creates the smoke by injecting some kind of lightweight oil onto the exhaust system. It is a myth to think that the smoke coming out of your Jeep is because it was dirty inside the engine.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

‘15 with 65000 miles. No smoke. No fluid coming out. Is grade / level ground the issue?
Old 10-05-2020, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I’m with Rob on this. It seems like snake oil. I’ve ran sea foam and Marvel in an engine before as one of its quarts of oil. I saw no difference in the oil draining out or sediment inside the waste pan, but it made me feel good that I was taking care of my car. I’ve ran sea foam and Marvel in the gas tank too. Not sure that even helps. I do like to run a can of injector cleaner once a year in the tank. Only benefit I see is I have slightly improved mileage on that tank of fuel.

Point is if you think it’s worth the money and time have at it. Maybe it was Chris Fix on YouTube, guy ran sea foam, techron and some other cleaner in a lawn mower engine. Interesting results.

Last edited by Seizer; 10-05-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner