Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mopar 2" Lift Kit -- Driveshaft Issues

Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar 2" Lift Kit -- Driveshaft Issues

I have a 2 door with an automatic transmission and recently had the Mopar 2" lfit kit installed on the Jeep. Yesterday I was underneath the Jeep and discovered my front drive shaft boot was no longer covering the joint.

Here's a picture:

I went with a small lift primarily to keep from having the additional expense of replacing the shafts. Uggh.

I did a bit more digging to try to find out if this is a common issue with the Mopar lift. In the process I discovered that the Mopar 2" lift kit is made by LKI Enterprises -- parent company of Superlift -- which just filed for Chapter 11 in Louisiana. Double uggh.

Furthermore, the warranty details supplied with the kit leave the honoring of the warranty up to LKI. Triple Uggh.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if the boot is a common issue with the Mopar 2" lift and if there's an easy fix for it. If not, I'll PM Joe@Teraflex and get whatever drive shaft he recommends. I might even try to install it myself.

[Walks away with tail between legs]

-Glen
Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man I feel for ya, good luck with everything!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the problem isn't with the amount of lift you have but rather, the lenght of the shocks. clearly, you are getting a lot of droop with your kit - which is a good thing under the right circumstances but, this unforuntunately causes your DS spline shaft boot to make contact with the auto tranny pan. the only way to prevent this from happening again is to install an aftermarket DS or shorter shocks.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about some limiting straps? They are cheap, and ez to install. Shocks are too though... You could just get shorter fronts like eddie said. I think when I put the straps on my TJ they were like $30-40 for a set of 2. My TJ had mega droop, and I did not want my shocks to be the thing holding the weight of my axle at full drop, so I used the straps.

Thinking about it though, I bet that thing is working pretty well offroad... If you can afford the front driveshaft I say get one and let that 2" keep flexing.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
how about some limiting straps? They are cheap, and ez to install. Shocks are too though... You could just get shorter fronts like eddie said. I think when I put the straps on my TJ they were like $30-40 for a set of 2. My TJ had mega droop, and I did not want my shocks to be the thing holding the weight of my axle at full drop, so I used the straps.
what he said, straps would do the trick too and for cheap. i guess i just didn't think about that being we're only talking about 2" of lift
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what he said, straps would do the trick too and for cheap. i guess i just didn't think about that being we're only talking about 2" of lift
After reading Mopar's literature and Superlift's literature side-by-side, I believe the Mopar 2" lift is really a version of the Superlift 4" lift.

I'm going to go the drive shaft route. Any recommendations? I'd like to be able to use the driveshaft with the RE 3.5" short arm system or the Teraflex 3" full-flex short arm system in a season or two.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you using the Mopar shocks?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EstianSwanepoel
Are you using the Mopar shocks?
I'm using the Bilstein shocks that came with the lift kit.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to hear the mopar lift flexes so well, helps justify it's price tag some.

I tore the boot on my front driveshaft with tera's 2.5" BB. Went with a 1310 aftermarket. Teraflex's ds works.

Quick Reply: Mopar 2" Lift Kit -- Driveshaft Issues