Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mods vs increase risk of failure

Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods vs increase risk of failure

Hello All,
Just purchased an '08 JKU with D44 rear and D30 in front. I am looking onto lifting it, but an hearing its more involved than I expected. Originally I was looking at a TF 4" short arm lift to allow 37" Muds (Nitto), but I have heard from a couple of local shops that any lift over 3" will require stronger drivelines and due to Jeep under powering the JK, I will need to regear, probably to 5.13's. I'm also seeing on this forum that if I run 37" on a D30, gussets and sleeves are a good idea. Definitely more than I planned. If this is all true, that leads me to me next question.
At what point do drivelines need to be changed. I understand the "angle" of the driveline is important, but is 35" acceptable on stock drivetrain (drivelines, d30, gearing, factory sway bar disconnect and locker... ect). If so, I am thinking of breaking this up into 2 phases. Getting the wheels and tires (at least 33", but 35" if I can push it without increasing the risk of breaking something), getting the bumper and all the other accessories. Then phase 2 would be adding another lift to get the 37" tires.

Its seems I can get started with a 2.5" Rubicon Express or similar (suggestions are ok) to clear 35" tires. Hopefully with out any other mods to gears or driveline. I am expecting the power drop and reduced mileage. Would a programmer be a benefit here to adjust for tire size? possibly regain a little lost power? Are there any 2.5" lifts that I can start with and then add another 2" later to get a total of 4-5"? I use to run a prerunner back in the '90's and am not a fan of body lifts, so I really want to stay away from them.

OK.... I'll stop there, I'm not going to get all my questions answered on my first post.
Happy to be a part of all the knowledgeable members.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:52 PM
JK Junkie

Anything over 3-3.5" on a 2dr needs new driveshafts. On a 4dr you can get away with 4.5". Gears arnt necessary with 37's even. But they make a world of difference

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.426757,-114.347049
Sent from my iPhone 4s using Verizon 3G
Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sringer
Anything over 3-3.5" on a 2dr needs new driveshafts. On a 4dr you can get away with 4.5". Gears arnt necessary with 37's even. But they make a world of difference
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.426757,-114.347049
Sent from my iPhone 4s using Verizon 3G
I do have the 4dr... so anything up to 4.5" without driveline mods. Interesting. I understand about the gear change restoring performance. Just dont want to break something the first time out after the mods.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rolltidejk
Your going to need to replace the front drive shaft as well. I installed a 4" rough country on mine and I ripped the boot
On my front drive shaft within the first mile. On gears that's up to you, and what your expectations and what you drive on a normal basis. I'm thinking a flashpaq and 4.88s on mine. Just do it right the first time and no worries and less money later.
Is yours a 2dr?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rolltidejk
Nope 4 door. Blew the boot off immediately. Also everyone get transfercase cable clips! Broke on the 2nd time out lol.
Good to know.... see, this is why i'm here. Your trial and error helps me. Hhahaha... thanks.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to kiss anyone off but is anyone here a.mechanic or work in a shop that customize jeep? Everything i am hearing is so random and opposite of everything the pro custom shops have told me. I have a 2 Dr 08 with 3.73 gears 4.5" procomp short arm lift, 35.12.5 mickey Thompson mtz tires and that's it. I had it installed professionally at a 4wheels parts hardware shop. All they do is lifts and customize.
that's what they did and i asked about the stuff you guys have been saying and they said sure you could.but its not necessary. I have 70,000 miles on this setup now and it has never failed me. I have no problems with driveshafts or boots or anything else. I am sure that doing what you guys are saying wouldn't hurt and of course it reinforce everything but its not.needed and.basically you are just making somebody who is new scared.of their jeep and its financially intimidating. The only was i could see a shop telling someone anything of this is because they are jerks and milking the customer for every dime they have.
by the way i asked about my mods at two other pro shops here in Miami and they both agreed that what 4wheels parts had done was correct and all that was needed.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

35s and a short arm lift or bb boost is all you really need. Jks are better then jts in the fact of fitting tires
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by profebill
Not to kiss anyone off but is anyone here a.mechanic or work in a shop that customize jeep? Everything i am hearing is so random and opposite of everything the pro custom shops have told me. I have a 2 Dr 08 with 3.73 gears 4.5" procomp short arm lift, 35.12.5 mickey Thompson mtz tires and that's it. I had it installed professionally at a 4wheels parts hardware shop. All they do is lifts and customize.
that's what they did and i asked about the stuff you guys have been saying and they said sure you could.but its not necessary. I have 70,000 miles on this setup now and it has never failed me. I have no problems with driveshafts or boots or anything else. I am sure that doing what you guys are saying wouldn't hurt and of course it reinforce everything but its not.needed and.basically you are just making somebody who is new scared.of their jeep and its financially intimidating. The only was i could see a shop telling someone anything of this is because they are jerks and milking the customer for every dime they have.
by the way i asked about my mods at two other pro shops here in Miami and they both agreed that what 4wheels parts had done was correct and all that was needed.

Well to start off... Yes I have worked on cars. The whole jeep thing....well I am learning. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am still learning this subject. The whole tearing a drive shaft boot thing is not a lie or myth. Once you start flexing the jeep with a tall enough lift on it; it will hit the exhaust. Now I am not saying every 4inch kit will destroy a drive shaft boot but i would like to know how your running a 4.5 lift and not an after market front shaft. My guess is 1) your lift is not a true 4.5 inches over stock or doesn't flex enough to kill the drive shaft boot. 2) they did something with the exhaust to move it out of the way of the drive shaft.

We are a forum. Different people different ideas.... If you think we are all going to say the same thing or answer a question the same way your crazy.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM
JK Super Freak

^ thank you.... I have heard the exhaust on maybe 2012s

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 01-02-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by profebill
No offense taken. The reason for this post is exactly to your comment. I have also spoken to 2 local shops (4wheel parts and Off Road warehouse). Both told me that I need gear changes and drivelines because they would brake the first time I put the Jeep in "4wd low". The shops we have here in San Diego are not professional mechanics, they are knowledgeable salesmen, the mechanics are in the back installing. I research everything, that is what I did with the shops, and that is what I am doing here. Its seems I get more reliable info from here than the so called professionals at my local shops.
If your install was performed by 4wheel parts, that is the same place I went and got different info from, seem the professionals in your state were trained differently than in my state. Which doesn't surprise me, different shops will have different opinions, that what I will have to figure out.

Quick Reply: Mods vs increase risk of failure