Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mods Req'd for fitting Winch

Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mods Req'd for fitting Winch

I'm looking at fitting a winch, say a Warn 9000 or similar, to my bone stock JK Sport (equiv Sahara in the US I think). Lift , tyres & other mods may come later when the bank manager stops breathing down my neck but for now it's staying stock; the only mod it has is the MOPAR steel front bumper.

According to my dealer, I can bolt a winch straight on (with the appropriate mounting plate, that is) without any further mods to the JK. I've been reading a few posts here that say that I pretty much have to at the bare minimum replace the front shocks (as the stock ones are apparantly no good) and do other suspension mods to handle the extra weight of the bumper & winch.

I've learned that people on this forum tend to be more knowledgable than many dealers in technical and practical matters, so any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JKlad; 01-08-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

they do make a kit to mount it between the frame with the stock bumper but that bumper ain't gonna last long, best bet is to save the money for the kit and put it towards a new bumper with winch mount.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front shocks are fine BUT if you add a lot of

weight out front of the front wheels, they will be overstressed and will wear quickly. You may want to think about the strain of that extra weight on the front springs as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

Shocks really aren't the issue, its the springs. The extra weight of the winch and bumper tend to sag the front end 1-2" depending in your current spring rate. You can correct this with stiffer springs or spacers. IMO springs are the best option because even with spacers to correct ride height, the sagged springs will still feel overloaded and spongy. I would add the winch and bumper(or have a friend who weighs about the same stand on the front bumper) first to see how much sagging you actually have to correct.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3
weight out front of the front wheels, they will be overstressed and will wear quickly. You may want to think about the strain of that extra weight on the front springs as well.
What will wear out? The wheels...the tires?. not really sure what you are saying ...but the extra weight will not effect the tires or wheels... At most u might have to slightly increase tire pressure to keep the contact patch flat..
Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bly109
Shocks really aren't the issue, its the springs. The extra weight of the winch and bumper tend to sag the front end 1-2" depending in your current spring rate. You can correct this with stiffer springs or spacers. IMO springs are the best option because even with spacers to correct ride height, the sagged springs will still feel overloaded and spongy. I would add the winch and bumper(or have a friend who weighs about the same stand on the front bumper) first to see how much sagging you actually have to correct.

Totally 100% agree with bly! I just purchased a Warn XD9000i and placed the winch still in the box on my stock Sahara bumper it dropped it over 1/2" The box and winch are around 90lbs. I will be adding an LoD front mid-width once it arrives from Northridge and this will sag my front even more to the point that I need more lift for off-roading. The stock springs are the limiting factor!

So, talking with David, Stan & WOL...I am looking at upgrading my 2" RE BB to a 2" HD coil spring lift to compensate for the winch and bumpers as well as looking at upgrading to 35's next time! They are telling me I should see about 2.75 to 3" of lift even with the extra weight!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Here's what I see it takes to get a winch on...

1. mounting the winch. you will need winch plate or a bumper that has the ability to mount the winch. I'm not familiar with the Mopar steel bumper. It only takes 4 bolts to get the winch on but you need a bumper or plate that can withstand the forces.

2. wire it up. Many would say that the stock battery set up isn't the best. So try to limit the amount of long pulls so you don't drain the battery (the stock battery life gets shorted if it get's too drained since they are not deep cycle batteries). consider upgrading to a deep cycle battery in the future.

3. Put the winch on, and drive it. If you are not satisfied with the handling and ride height, then consider new springs/spacers as others have mentioned.

Quick Reply: Mods Req'd for fitting Winch