Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mods for dd jk

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods for dd jk

Alright guys, I'm relatively new to the forum and have just been curious about in what order I should do my mods. I have been looking at a couple different BB lifts and a couple sets of wheels and tires. I plan on getting a 33" A/T tire seeing as where I still need to get somewhat good gas mileage while driving to and from school, but be able to have some fun off road (nothing crazy...yet). If you guys have any recommendations on what a good 2.5"-3" BB lift is that you're running, any input would be great! Thanks in advance
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the forums!

I think you'll find that a lot of folks are running the Teraflex BB system or if you want a bit more lift, go for the coils as opposed to the BB. Old Man EMU has some fans as does Rock Krawler.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Hello and welcome! 33's are great for DD duty and off-roading. I've used them for both and they're honestly awesome. Best part is you're not messing with your drivetrain when running 33's. Move to 35's or larger and there's a lot more to think about.

With 33's you won't need any lifting at all. But if you want a lifted look try the Teraflex leveling kit, performance leveling kit, a BB of no more than 2 inches or if you're a 2door (couldn't read your profile on my phone) get JKU Rubicon take off coils which is a cheap and good way to get 1-2 inches of lift. Again welcome and have loads of fun with your new JK!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys! I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and gradually improving its off-road abilities as time goes on so I was kind of leaning towards the Rock Krawler 2.5 stock mod. From what I have read this will be border line on needing drive shafts, but for short term (until I can save up enough for bumpers to weight it down) it should be okay. Has anybody had first hand experience with this kit?
Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a 2.5" lift is borderline, but it's on the safe side of the line for 4-doo JKU. I've run my daily driver with stock driveshafts for over 3yrs on 35s and Teraflex 2.5" coil lift, no rock climbing just trails, and highly recommend this DIY install lift kit and have also heard good reports of Rock Krawler's 2.5" lift kits. Driveshafts can wait, and go with 35s.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've been lurking the forums and recently got my 2012 JKU rubicon, after much reading and lots of questioning i've purchased the 2.5 Teraflex coil lift with the teraflex shocks, and i'll be running 295 70 17 nitto trail grapplers. this is my daily driver and i wanted something factory reliable and dependable with no issues and found the teraflex to be a very complete kit. i was going to run the bilstien 5100 shocks but they require a spacer in the rear to prevent the coil from popping out due to the longer bilstein shock, therefore i decided to go with the teraflex which i believe isn't quite as good as the bilstein but according to teraflex i don't need a spacer to prevent the coil from coming out.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

2.5" R.C. bb/35" maxxis big horns for that past year, the only thing to complain about is gas mileage. It's my DD and only vehicle and love it.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2.0" skyjacker bb with nitro shocks, wheel spacer, maxxis trepador 35, bullydog, 4.1 (original gear, but wishing to regear, since my OD is dead), trimmed fenders for a DD, JKS quickdisconnect.
A little stiff ride, but nice flex when disco.
For now it is ok. Got my MPG back with the bullydog at offroad setup.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

thanks again for the replies. Westchester, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 2.5 and 35's? I have a 6 speed so there will be a little variation between what mine would get and your automatic. The reason I was thinking 33's was for fuel economy, but if its just 1 mpg difference or slightly more then I would rather take advantage of the lift and get 35's
Old 10-01-2011, 03:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt1608
thanks again for the replies. Westchester, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 2.5 and 35's? I have a 6 speed so there will be a little variation between what mine would get and your automatic. The reason I was thinking 33's was for fuel economy, but if its just 1 mpg difference or slightly more then I would rather take advantage of the lift and get 35's
I'm the last guy you want to ask mpg - with a heavy right foot, heavy mods and gear, plus a hood light and windshield lights making the brick shape even worse, I get 11mg average.

I'd suggest looking at the mpg threads for other comps.

Quick Reply: Mods for dd jk