Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modify upper shock mounts for more up-travel?

Old 12-28-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I am referring to when you stuff one tire and droop the other. As you do this the axle rotates around the suspension and the tires will turn into the body causing clearance issues. At the same time the track bar is pulling the axle towards the body in one direction. The more down travel you have in the suspension the more rotation you will get and the more clearance issue you will have when articulating.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I am referring to when you stuff one tire and droop the other. As you do this the axle rotates around the suspension and the tires will turn into the body causing clearance issues. At the same time the track bar is pulling the axle towards the body in one direction. The more down travel you have in the suspension the more rotation you will get and the more clearance issue you will have when articulating.
This is a great point! One thing I hadn't considered with my build is the longer travel shocks resulted in tires moving closer in towards the frame on articulation. They don't just move up and down more with the longer shocks. In the rear the longer travel resulted in my driveshaft hitting the fuel tank as it also moved around more. I also started having issues with swaybar links hitting tires. Everything is moving around more back there as you get more travel. You just need to be willing to get creative and have a BFH, grinder, and saws all in your tool arsenal then it all works, lol

Quick Reply: Modify upper shock mounts for more up-travel?