Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modify My 08 JK Sahara

Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modify My 08 JK Sahara

Ok so I am new to owning a Jeep. It's a blast my friends have owned one or two but now I am the Proud Owner of a Black '08 Sahara 2dr. auto. My Plans to make her stand out in a crowd of other Jeeps is to lift her up a couple inches, swap the bumpers, moderately larger tires, around 33x10.50's Maximum. I would like to keep all the stock drivetrain per the lifetime warranty I feel in the future that on the trails if something were to break I can always take it to the dealer and say shes broke fix it..... Its covered in the warranty.. Well anyways back to the mods. I would like a roof rack, snorkel, Warn winch, GPS, HHO supplemental system, K&N filters (Oil & Gas), Hypertech Chip, Headers, Cat back dual exhaust and turbo charger turned into a super charger runnig 5-10psi. Some buswaker fender flares. Ugh after listing all this its making me think if I forgot anything lol. Yes I am prepared to go all out on my baby cause she deserves it. if there is any suggestions or any help as to what would be the best set up for me as a daily driver / Uwharrie weekend trip and so on. I am open for any suggestions and Y'all keep em wheelin.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

I love making other people's Jeep shopping lists.

First off, forget the idea of a supercharger. That is, unless you want to spend several thousand dollars while simultaneously voiding pretty much all of your powertrain warranty.

If you want to spend in the neighborhood of $5K, here's what I would do:
--TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost with Front Coils & Shocks
--285/70/R17 BFGoodrich KM2s
--Shrockworks Front and Rear Stubby Bumpers
--Warn XD9000i Winch
--PIAA All-Terrain Pattern Lights
--PureJeep Rock Sliders
--Magnaflow Exhaust System
--True Flow XDi Intake
--As for a GPS, get a Garmin. They're headquartered in my hometown.

And here is some food for thought that might save you some cash:
--Bushwackers will look way too big with 33" tires.
--The JK already has well-designed headers on it from the factory. You won't notice any difference with aftermarket headers.
--Are you really going to use a snorkel, or do you want one more for looks? If you're that worried about your warranty then you shouldn't ever venture into an off-road situation that would require a snorkel.

Good luck with your decisions. As always, post up some pics when you're done.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

My price list was more around 13k for everything I wanted. as for the 17 inch rims mine come stock with 18's but would most liekly end up with a decent set of 15's since they have more variety of tires. but as for my shopping list well for right now my dream list that will be filled in the next few months to a year is from front to back.
1. Smittybilt JK Wrangler XRC bumbers front and rear
2. Warn 9.5ti Winch
3. 33x12.50 Cepek Crusher tire
4. XD Series Cast HOSS Wheels
5. Rancho 4" Long Arm for Articulation and Stance
6. VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor kit
7. 48" High Lift
8. Custom Light Bar mounted to front Bumper W/ two 9" HID lights and four 5" Pro Cmp Rounds
9. All Marker, Turn, Tail light LED conversions.
10. Smittybilt Rock Crawler Guards
11. Wilderness Overhead Expedition Rack.
12. Stainless Steel Accessories Package all hinges and handles and so on so forth
13. Custom Made Skid plates for under carriage.
14. Neoprene Seat covers
15. Cobra CB radio
16. Sport Bar Grab Handles front and rear
17. Mirror Relocation Brackets
18. K&N FIPK
19. Hypertech PCM
20. Airaid Poweraid TB spacer
21. The Best Battery on the Market of corse an OPTIMA Yellow Top.
22. Mopar Trail Guide GPS system
23. Custom Made Tube Doors
24. Bikini Top
25. Custom Auto Shiter knob/Xfer select Knob/P-brake knob.
and a few nick nacks here and there
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Dang, I wish I had that kind of money to spend on my Jeep. I guess that's why I'm in college.

Building a CJ, YJ, or TJ is a little different from building a JK. With the JK, you need much less lift to accommodate larger tires. A 4" long arm lift is WAY too much lift for 33" tires (you can run most nominal 33s without modifying the suspension at all). To give you an idea, many people run 37s with 4" suspension lifts. You would be much better off with a 2-3" lift, or it will look seriously goofy IMO. If your heart is set on getting a 4" long arm lift then you need 35" tires or bigger.

Don't make your Jeep look like you went through the Quadratec catalog and said, "Yes. I want all of it." You don't need 800 lights on the front of your Jeep. You don't need billet hinges and door handles and tow hooks and whatever other crap the aftermarket tries to sell you. Unless your Jeep is covered in an inch of mud, these kinds of modifications will quickly earn you a "poseur" reputation.

The first thing I think when I see a really clean rig with thousands of dollars of modifications in it is, "Poor thing probably hasn't ever seen a trail." For the love of your Jeep, please wheel it.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Freak

Another thing... You're gonna need new driveshafts.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

a week after I purchased it it went on a short trip west of where I live to Uwharrie National Forest. well it became brown and red in color insted of the black it used to be. I love Mud, Rocks, and dirt trails. There is a back road that leads to where I work so on my way to work it gets the suspension worked a little and in one place I need to drop it in 4 so I can get traction going over some wash out ruts in the road. it isn't a Pavement Queen and it does see its fair share of Terra Firma. I also have a Custom Prostreet Chopper and she aint a Trailer Queen. I am a strong believer that one must use there vehicle for what it was designed for. Jeeps are for off road, Bikes are ment to be ridden, and I do what they are ment for FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN... As soon as I can figure out how to post pics up they will be up from Uwharrie to Fort Bragg Fire trails and back woods.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mutts08JK
My price list was more around 13k for everything I wanted. as for the 17 inch rims mine come stock with 18's but would most liekly end up with a decent set of 15's since they have more variety of tires. but as for my shopping list well for right now my dream list that will be filled in the next few months to a year is from front to back.
1. Smittybilt JK Wrangler XRC bumbers front and rear
2. Warn 9.5ti Winch
3. 33x12.50 Cepek Crusher tire
4. XD Series Cast HOSS Wheels
5. Rancho 4" Long Arm for Articulation and Stance
6. VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor kit
7. 48" High Lift
8. Custom Light Bar mounted to front Bumper W/ two 9" HID lights and four 5" Pro Cmp Rounds
9. All Marker, Turn, Tail light LED conversions.
10. Smittybilt Rock Crawler Guards
11. Wilderness Overhead Expedition Rack.
12. Stainless Steel Accessories Package all hinges and handles and so on so forth
13. Custom Made Skid plates for under carriage.
14. Neoprene Seat covers
15. Cobra CB radio
16. Sport Bar Grab Handles front and rear
17. Mirror Relocation Brackets
18. K&N FIPK
19. Hypertech PCM
20. Airaid Poweraid TB spacer
21. The Best Battery on the Market of corse an OPTIMA Yellow Top.
22. Mopar Trail Guide GPS system
23. Custom Made Tube Doors
24. Bikini Top
25. Custom Auto Shiter knob/Xfer select Knob/P-brake knob.
and a few nick nacks here and there
If you have 18 inch wheels, don't think you can go 15's due to caliper wont fit
Old 06-04-2008, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rogue
If you have 18 inch wheels, don't think you can go 15's due to caliper wont fit
Some do, some don't. Don't recall where I saw it here on the forum, but someone had checked it out. Do your homework before you buy 15's. Personally I think there is just about as much for 17's as for 15's, at least by the main manufactures
Old 06-04-2008, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dag Nabbit I knew it was to good to be true. Welp back to the traing board do they make 20x7's I have another Idea why not use the old willy jeep tires from the WWII era hehehehehehe Hmmmmm I think it would be cool... Now about them rims...
Old 06-04-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Wow, you went from wanting 15s to wanting 20s in less than a day. That's like saying you're a Republican one day and then claiming you're a Democrat the next. That's like being married for 20 years to a beautiful wife and having five kids and then one day suddenly deciding that you like men. That's like being a devout Muslim one day and then converting to Judaism the next... Changes like that just don't happen overnight. You're not a troll, are you?

33" tires on 20" wheels = immediate pavement princess reputation, no matter how much you actually wheel it. You will get looks of scorn and disgust from 99% of off-road enthusiasts. And then you'll be like, "Wahhh , why didn't I listen to Ryno?"

I'm telling you, man... If you have the money and you want your Jeep to stand out, the bigger the better. 37s and a 4" long arm lift will get you PLENTY of POSITIVE attention, not to mention give you the clearance to drive over pretty much whatever you want. Do it! You will have so much more respect on-road, off-road, with women, with your neighbors, etc.

Quick Reply: Modify My 08 JK Sahara