Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modified smittybilt src rear bumper?

Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modified smittybilt src rear bumper?

Has anyone done this before? I found one i can get for my JK that is brand new for $250 without the tire carrier. I am digging the look of this JK with the src rear and the OR-Fab tire carrier combo. Only thing i want to do is maybe cut off the side tubes to the bumper kind of becomes a stubby and does not stick out like that. What do you guys think of that because there is a great deal on this bumper locally ? Also because i have the XRC MOD front bumper and want the looks of the rear to be the same style.

http://www.fortec4x4.com/OR-Fab-8520...mited-JK.html#
Old 02-22-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to know the same thing...subscribed
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I have seen it done many times and it looks good , I have also seen it done with the front and it looks good to

Pictures might be a little hard because I know it has been since 2010 the sat time I saw it
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

I don't see why you wouldn't do it if that's the look you like. I considered that bumper but the tubes on the ends were too much for me. I went stubby out of the warehouse but the rugged ridge price is certainly worth it to chop the ends and spackle it with bedliner to hide the surgery.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5
I have seen it done many times and it looks good , I have also seen it done with the front and it looks good to

Pictures might be a little hard because I know it has been since 2010 the sat time I saw it
Yeah i know guys who have cut off the latch part and had something done to where it was connected to the tailgate so when that opened the tire carrier did as well like some of the other bumpers offer.

Originally Posted by karls
I don't see why you wouldn't do it if that's the look you like. I considered that bumper but the tubes on the ends were too much for me. I went stubby out of the warehouse but the rugged ridge price is certainly worth it to chop the ends and spackle it with bedliner to hide the surgery.
Yeah i know things can be done but a visual is always better to see before doing it.

UPDATE: I picked up the bumper for $240 and installed it already. Ill give it a few days or a week to see if im going to add the tire carrier or not. If i decide to buy the tire carrier i will have the latch mechanism cut off and make something to where it opens with the tailgate. I have seen it done just cant find pictures. Also take off part of the tubing that goes toward the wheel well so the tires dont hit when it flexs ( Issue will come in to play when lift and bigger tires are finally installed ).

Linkage to connect to the tailgate and tire carrier like this.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13008_1024.htm

Last edited by mhockey9090; 02-23-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Well here it is installed guys if you even care.

Plan. Sorry for the crappy photoshop. Blacked it out so you know what im talking about. Might have to click on the picture at first till it updates.

Last edited by mhockey9090; 02-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

I actually like it better with the tubes. Plus it gives the corners some protection
Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
I actually like it better with the tubes. Plus it gives the corners some protection
We were also thinking about just taking the section the goes straight towards the wheel well so there is still protection like that but it wont hit tires when flexing.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the exact same thoughts of trimming mine... UNTIL I rolled back and hit hard. The corner tube saved both my tail light and tub. Now I won't even consider another bumper without the same protection. I run 35's with a 4" lift, no problems when the rear is stuffed.

- sent while my wife wasn't looking
Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JDub23
I had the exact same thoughts of trimming mine... UNTIL I rolled back and hit hard. The corner tube saved both my tail light and tub. Now I won't even consider another bumper without the same protection. I run 35's with a 4" lift, no problems when the rear is stuffed.

- sent while my wife wasn't looking
I like that set up man. What lift you got on there? Also did you go with the tire carrier from smittybilt or is it on the stock mount still?

Quick Reply: Modified smittybilt src rear bumper?