Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modding in Moderation

Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho

Interesting, I know many who run this lift without new drive shafts, such as the one in this picture.
Lol im just going from personal experience, and from what I've read on here...I had a 4 inch on my Jk, tore the rubber boot on the side of.the shaft.going into.the transfer case..I know you don't have to modify the rear shaft,but front you will.....Rancho I love yalls skids though when I finnaly upgrade to getting some armor gonna get my business for sure
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by samhardy2008
Lol im just going from personal experience, and from what I've read on here...I had a 4 inch on my Jk, tore the rubber boot on the side of.the shaft.going into.the transfer case..I know you don't have to modify the rear shaft,but front you will.....Rancho I love yalls skids though when I finnaly upgrade to getting some armor gonna get my business for sure

PM incoming with some more questions, so I can have more knowledge.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho
Interesting, I know many who run this lift without new drive shafts, such as the one in this picture.

I also would urge him to go with a 2" to 2.5" spacer lift on a 2012. Anything more and you will definitely need to replace the front Drive shaft. I have a 2.5" on my 2012 JKU and I will be replacing the front DS soon as the angle is frightening.

I would also recommend the suspension/ budget boost vs a body lift. If you can afford it, get something with upgraded shocks as the factory ones are just OK. You will be amazed at the on road drive coupled with the off-road capability, should you need it.

Another vote for GY Duratracs.....awesome look and fantastic performance. I would not go with 35s though(they don't make that size anyway). I do not know what axle ratio you have, but anything under 4.10s in a 35 and I think you will suffer at hwy speeds and going up even mild inclines. Plus....I am not a fan of 35s on a front Dana 30. Many people do it, but I feel it adds too much weight on that axle and it might cause the dealer to reject a possible warranty claim. I would stick with a 33" tire with say a 2" lift.

As for the bumper....forget it....they are expensive and based upon your needs, you really do not need one IMO.

If I were you this would be my parts list:

-2 or 2.5" lift - Teraflex, Rough Country, or Rock Crawler

-Rancho pipe for clearance on your front DS

-GY Duractracs 17" or lower. I have 18" wheels factory and the tires are friggin expensive. + whatever wheels float your boat, but I would look to go as light as possible.

-AEV ProCal to reprogram your ECU for the bigger tires.

Plus the camping and kayaking accessories you mentioned.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with everybody else.

Definitely see what it can do stock though. If all your off roading is gonna be just to get to camping or hiking spots you'll probably find that a stock JK will do great off road. Maybe just pick up a set of rubi takeoff wheels and tires and call it a day.

But if you think you ever will off road purely for fun (and you will once you catch the bug like most of us have) then if say a 2.5 BB or coil lift. That way you could run 33s or 35s, and still have a nice highway ride.

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

I run 35s on mine with just a teraflex leveling kit and chopped fenders and it works awesome
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3440022521.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	297066   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1004313909.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	297067   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1150277963.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	297068  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

First of all welcome to a GREAT site and a great addiction....um I mean hobby.

For just $130 and 4 hours of my time I installed a TeraFlex Leveling Kit in my driveway with hand tools last week. I can clear my new 33s without problems. I intend on doing mild to moderate wheeling and drive to work.

I agree with one posters advice to not buy a bumper. Search stubby bumper for doing a stubby bumper conversion. Thats my plan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-80511445.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	297085
Old 03-29-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4WheelingAstronomer
First of all welcome to a GREAT site and a great addiction....um I mean hobby.

For just $130 and 4 hours of my time I installed a TeraFlex Leveling Kit in my driveway with hand tools last week. I can clear my new 33s without problems. I intend on doing mild to moderate wheeling and drive to work.

I agree with one posters advice to not buy a bumper. Search stubby bumper for doing a stubby bumper conversion. Thats my plan.

Attachment 297085
Agreed , easy , fast and makes a huge differance!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks a lot everyone. There are some really helpful suggestions here. These mods will probably be made over something like 6-12 months, so the stock wheels will definitely see some use.
  • As far as lifts, the teraflex budget boost 2.5" lift is manageable, I think I'll be going with the package including actual shocks: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0000.htm but I'm not so sure about replacing the coil springs, because the stiff stock springs must contribute to stabler highway ride. However I'm also a bit tempted to run with a leveling kit right off the bat… it'll fit the 33s and costs $130.
  • Duratracs seem to be the overwhelming winner and I think I'll be happy with their ~33's.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude i got it all worked out if you're trying to keep it cheap and run 35"s...I've spent a lot of time thinking about cheap ways to do stuff haha

2.5" Teraflex Spacer lift - like 300 bucks
15x8" steel wheels - i paid 60 bucks a piece for my cragars and they look sweet
15x12.50R15 tires 200-220/piece...paid 213/piece for my MTRs
1.25" Wheel Spacers - 180 shipped from All Pro Offroad to clear wheels
mount and balance - 80-100 depending on where you go
TeraFlex Exhaust Spacers - 70 bucks...actually have some I could sell you for 45
AEV ProCal - 150
Do a chop job on your fenders and bumpers and you will clear no problem.
This addresses the major issues of clearing the drive shaft of exhaust and tires in the wheel wells.

If you do the work yourself, you can have a dramatically different, pretty decent Jeep for less than 2k!!

Last edited by FlameRedJK; 03-29-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

I said i would mod in moderation but it just dodnt happen...

Quick Reply: Modding in Moderation