Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modding in Moderation

Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding in Moderation

Hey there everyone, I'm brand new here. Just pulled my '12 Unlimited Sport out of the lot on Monday.
(I'm a college student, so my access to funds do put quite a damper on what I can potentially get done in the next few years, but I do work so I can manage some upgrading, unfortunately, the other trims for the JK U were out of my range…)

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of reading on this and other forums, jeep tech sites, etc, and have tried to accrue as much information as possible before posting for help, but I'm afraid I've reached that point. I really appreciate the level of expertise I've read consistently on this forum in particular, so I thought I'd ask for some initial advice.

My situation is pretty much this: I do a lot of outdoor stuff, camping / hiking / kayaking / whatever, but I don't plan on trying to take my Jeep up a vertical climb. I'm looking for a very moderate compromise of on–road smoothness and off–road capability. I'm familiar with the most basic concepts as to what works but that's really about it. I realize a lot of people here do extreme things with their Jeeps and have really capable builds but I'm afraid while that stuff looks awesome, that I have to take the more pedestrian route for now.
  • I really want to change out my tires and rims. The stock wheels that came on my JK are both ugly and tiny. I'm assuming there isn't much more to rim selection than aesthetics so I'll worry about that soon enough, but I gather the tires are really crucial. I've read that Goodyear's MT/R do well enough on roads and can provide solid enough traction for off road use as well.
  • That said, I am also considering a lift—although preferably just a body lift. This is for cost reasons and because I'm kind of hesitant to mess with the suspension. My goal is just to create enough room to fit a decent (35"?) size tire, and not much else.
  • I'm also looking at Gobi's stealth rack, some crossbars, and some J-shaped kayak racks to throw on top.
  • Lastly, I've read some pretty lame things about the stock bumper on the '12 JK, so I'm wondering if it's really recommended I replace it with something tougher or if it's not a big deal.

So basically, I'm asking for some help in finding the optimal choices for these changes, and if I'm missing a crucial step (or ten?). I'm sure these topics come about by the dozens every day so don't feel at all obligated to post, but I'd be really grateful for any advise at all!

Take care folks.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

In all honesty a cheap spacer lift would be only slightly more expensive than a body lift and IMHO much better. You will only net an inch from a body lift without looking ridiculous. I installed my coils and lift alone with simple hand tools. The only expensive tool was a good torque wrench. If you were only sticking to a large 33 I'd say the body lift is okay, but 35s its a squeeze without trimming fenders.

Tires I'd also look at Goodyear duratracs. Great mt/at hybrid with outstanding reviews. Rims are easy just make sure you get better backspacing for the wider tires.

Finally if your outdoors like me aka boating, fishing, hiking and pets, rip out the carpet and get your interior bedlined. It sprays out clean and looks good. I struggled with the carpet for a year hating every minute of it! Now if I'm wet from paddling all day who cares just pull the body plugs sit in the sun for an hour and your dry again!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HeyBob
In all honesty a cheap spacer lift would be only slightly more expensive than a body lift and IMHO much better. You will only net an inch from a body lift without looking ridiculous. I installed my coils and lift alone with simple hand tools. The only expensive tool was a good torque wrench. If you were only sticking to a large 33 I'd say the body lift is okay, but 35s its a squeeze without trimming fenders.

Tires I'd also look at Goodyear duratracs. Great mt/at hybrid with outstanding reviews. Rims are easy just make sure you get better backspacing for the wider tires.

Finally if your outdoors like me aka boating, fishing, hiking and pets, rip out the carpet and get your interior bedlined. It sprays out clean and looks good. I struggled with the carpet for a year hating every minute of it! Now if I'm wet from paddling all day who cares just pull the body plugs sit in the sun for an hour and your dry again!
Thanks for the suggestions. Would 33" be more reasonable then? Like I said I'm not trying to do anything too crazy. That said, even with 33's, is a spacer lift still that much better than a body lift?
I love the idea of bedlining it. That'll definitely make life easier, duratracs look like a good choice, too.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 AM
JK Freak

Most people would recommend a spacer lift rather than a body lift, if you're only trying to clear 35's. A body lift will give some odd gaps here and there, u will be fine with your stock bumper if you're just doing mild trails to get to the outdoors and as far as rims u would need to look at the backspacing so u can fit wider tires under your rig without rubbing
Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Based on your needs, Spacer lift is the way to go. Tires and wheels are purely a personal thing as far as what you like and want.

The factory Jeep bumpers are plastic basically, and I would always look to upgrade that.

Sounds like you have a good plan, roll with it and enjoy the Jeep!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

One more vote for the spacer/budget-boost for giving space to fit the tires you are wanting. Also, another vote for the Duratrac. From your description, it seems like those would fit your needs brilliantly.

As for bumpers, keep an eye on craigslist. I picked up slightly used ARB bumpers for $900, which is a great price. I rattle-canned them with Duplicolor bedliner and they look phenomenal (on my garage floor). Also, keep an eye out for some pull-off Rubicon rock rails. They can usually be had for cheap ($125-$150) and offer better rocker protection than nothing at all.

From what I have seen and read about Gobi racks, you will love it. If you want to stretch your dollar (if you have a hardtop), you may want to consider the simple Yakima track/control tower setup and you will save yourself about 1k. It won't get you a foundation for a roof top tent, but should handle a boat, or a bike or two just fine. Downside is drilling the hardtop. Still, I plan to go this route for occasional canoe use.

I have the same model as you, and I laugh every time I walk up to it with its poor tiny tires. My suspension and 37s will be going on this weekend!

Enjoy!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is our 4" SPORT lift without the need to modify/buy new drive shafts on 35"s.
A lot of people run this system and are VERY happy.
It also qualifies for our $500 rebate that is going on now as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go out and run the bag off your new Jeep on some moderate trails. Figure out where it comes up short for the way you use it. Then mod it to compensate for those shortcomings.

Unless you were asking for advice about mods that make the Jeep more fashionable. That's a different story.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho
Here is our 4" SPORT lift without the need to modify/buy new drive shafts on 35"s.
A lot of people run this system and are VERY happy.
It also qualifies for our $500 rebate that is going on now as well.
I disagree with u on the lift....cant run it over 3 inches without needing to modify driveshafts
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by samhardy2008
I disagree with u on the lift....cant run it over 3 inches without needing to modify driveshafts
Interesting, I know many who run this lift without new drive shafts, such as the one in this picture.

Quick Reply: Modding in Moderation