Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modded Mopar bumper ???

Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded Mopar bumper ???

Ok so I got a great deal on a Mopar Non-Winch Bumper. So I got a few questions.
What are the two tubes that are under the plastic covers stiking out the front actually for? Could I remove them and replace the factory tow hooks with flat steel plates with d-rings weld to them? Make for a nice flush look with solid tow points.
Second.
What would be the best way to attach a 2" square tube receiver to the center to uses a multi mount winch cradle. I was thinking of cutting a 2"x 2" hole in the center and come up with a mounting plate to attach the receiver tube to the frame Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those things sticking out of your bumper are air bag crush cans, and removing them "could" cause the air bags to not operate properly......or so they say. I wouldn't remove them, but plenty of aftermarket bumpers don't have the crush cans, so it's your call.

I have the mopar bumper too, but I won't be messing with those crush cans. And I can't answer your second question.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by COunlimited
Ok so I got a great deal on a Mopar Non-Winch Bumper. So I got a few questions.
What are the two tubes that are under the plastic covers stiking out the front actually for? Could I remove them and replace the factory tow hooks with flat steel plates with d-rings weld to them? Make for a nice flush look with solid tow points.
Second.
What would be the best way to attach a 2" square tube receiver to the center to uses a multi mount winch cradle. I was thinking of cutting a 2"x 2" hole in the center and come up with a mounting plate to attach the receiver tube to the frame Any thoughts or suggestions?
Yes, you can remove the crush cans. The only aftermarket bumper that I have seen that has them is the AEV bumper. All of those other manufacturers would keep them if there was an issue with them (too much liability). I thought about doing the exact same thing with mine. As far as a center receiver, I have the winch bumper so I'm sure there may be some differences, you'd just have to mod it as you see fit for it.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 11-03-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't just tell someone that "sure you can definately remove that safety feature!" I doubt Jeep put the air bag crush cans there for no reason at all, maybe you're right, and maybe you're wrong. Don't know for certain.

Again, BLKRUBI may be absolutely right. But considering that the crush cans are there for the air bags, I wouldn't just jump right out and tell anyone that they can cut them off without any worry. Just don't assume!

It's your Jeep though, do with it what you want, as long as your happy.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BrettDez
I wouldn't just tell someone that "sure you can definately remove that safety feature!" I doubt Jeep put the air bag crush cans there for no reason at all, maybe you're right, and maybe you're wrong. Don't know for certain.

Again, BLKRUBI may be absolutely right. But considering that the crush cans are there for the air bags, I wouldn't just jump right out and tell anyone that they can cut them off without any worry. Just don't assume!

It's your Jeep though, do with it what you want, as long as your happy.

Good luck!

FYI, I'm not assmuing, you are the one assuming that I have no idea what I am taking about and you are the one making the mistake. The crush cans are there the keep the air bags from going off in a very low speed collison, that is all. The chances of even hitting that one spot on the bumper when you hit something is very remote. Like I said, if they are that important, don't you think all of these other aftermarket companies would incorperate them in their bumpers? Seems like it'd bee a big lawsuit waiting to happen for all of those without them. The only aftermarket company that does use the crush cans is AEV (because they've worked closely with Chrysler/Jeep) and it's my understanding that you have to cut the crush cans from the factory bumper and reuse them on the AEV bumper. Now, am I "just telling someone" that sure, you can do this or does it sounds like I might have a little insight? Now, with that being said, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me, the last thing that I'm trying to do is misinform anyone.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 11-03-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, BLKRUBI, you need to get your panties out of a bunch. I won't even continue this with you.

It is not advisable to modify that bumper that way. If anything DOES happen, you are soley liable due to your self-removal of the air bag crush cans. Insurance may not cover injuries caused as well. All I'm saying is you can probably get away with it, but it can lead to a big negative.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The chances of even hitting that one spot on the bumper when you hit something is very remote."

Thats funny because I'm an Auto Body Tech and the first JK I've worked on was hit right on that spot. It collapsed the crush can somewhat and bent the reinforcement itself back but the air bags didn't deploy so I'm guessing that the crush cans did their job. The customer was actually pissed that they didn't deploy and listed that as a customer concern.

I've got a picture of the bumper if anyone would like to see it, just to lazy to create a My-JK account to upload it to. Like I said in another thread about this very subject I don't really have an opinion one way or the other but I can tell you that if you accidently bump into a stump or boulder hard enough while off-roading with a A/M bumper its likely the air bags might deploy. AEV and the Mopar ones take care of this I guess.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to jump into this discussion about whether or not you can/should cut the crush cans off, because apparently nobody reads all the other threads about this issue, and no one is going to change their minds.

That being said, this coming weekend I will be doing exactly what you have proposed, and removing the crush cans and putting in shackle mounts. I'll do a write up and pics next week I hope.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Wow, BLKRUBI, you need to get your panties out of a bunch. I won't even continue this with you.

It is not advisable to modify that bumper that way. If anything DOES happen, you are soley liable due to your self-removal of the air bag crush cans. Insurance may not cover injuries caused as well. All I'm saying is you can probably get away with it, but it can lead to a big negative.
I don't wear any, I go commando.
Anyway, there's nothing to continue. You, in telling me not to assume something, turned around and assumed something yourself. You should have just ask me why I thought you could do what CO was asking.

Anyway, So according to you, then, if I have an accident in my Jeep, my Insurance would deny my claim because of my lift and tires, they're not factory, even though they are included as add ons on my policy? What about having a winch on the front, that's not factory, should that deny my claim then? While I understand what you are attempting to say, your reasoning is flawed. Again, crush cans are on from the factory for the vehicle to pass specific government tests. Once it's yours, removing or modifying the crush cans is possible and isn't going to change very much, like stated before , 95% of the aftermarket bumpers do NOT have them. Would all of these companies accept the chance of millions of dollars of lawsuits if these were required to safely deploy your airbags? HELL NO! Now, if you don't assume anymore and instead, ask questions(which is what this forum is for) then everyone will learn in a good environment.

Thanks for playing.

Originally Posted by csorensen
I'm not going to jump into this discussion about whether or not you can/should cut the crush cans off, because apparently nobody reads all the other threads about this issue, and no one is going to change their minds.

That being said, this coming weekend I will be doing exactly what you have proposed, and removing the crush cans and putting in shackle mounts. I'll do a write up and pics next week I hope.

No kidding. There's much info to be gained here.

Originally Posted by doojer
This is definitely a hotly debated concept, but the thing to keep in mind is that your airbags are controlled by a sensor in the middle of the vehicle that detects where and how hard the impact was. So, essentially, any aftermarket bumper will be perfectly compatible with your JK airbag system. The point of debate is the crush cans that come on the factory bumper. They are basically 2 soup-like cans that are there to absorb a bit of the impact before the airbags are deployed. However, they obviously only absorb impact when you hit them directly (basically a head on collision), and it is unknown exactly how much impact they truly absorb. So.... if you are concerned about retaining your crush cans, the options I know of are AEV, Mopar and ARB. However, as I said, you do not need to retain the crush cans in order to retain a properly functioning airbag system.

FYI, BRETT, the above was posted by one of our Moderaters on another thread.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 11-05-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO the front and back stock bumpers are crush can pieces off crap, my next mod will be a bumper suitable for a jeep, homebuilt, shockwrocks, purejeep,dunno yet, but definately something different than the crap that's on it now. I'll worry about ins. claims if I get into an accident, but I bet if I have a good bumper on, I'll end up better off. Look at reality folks, ins. doesn't wanna pay much anyhoo.

Quick Reply: Modded Mopar bumper ???