Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modded Dana 30 vs Stock Dana 44

Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porters
Dude, that bites!

But its good news if you end up with a D60.
Didn't get the D60. Just replaced this POS and added it to the pile of busted parts.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I just read the whole thread and have a few questions.

1. I plan on running 35s on my d30 with 5.13s, but drive 99% on road (its my dd) with some easy trails a couple times per year (I'm new to offroading). Since I won't see any difficult trails, will I need upgraded axle shafts?
2. Technically, all I need are c gussets, but inner sleeves will only be added assurance, correct? I wouldn't need anything else for my particular situation (primarily road use)- no trusses or outer sleeves?
3. If I had inner sleeves installed, would outer sleeves be overkill in my case?
4. It is my understanding that the gear teeth usually break when the tires are spinning without traction and then suddenly find traction, correct? So on road, do i still have to be cautious with the skinny pedal on dry pavement?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by bluejk09; 07-09-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
exactly!! and, that's why i'm still a fan on u-joint axle shafts. if at all possible, i would much rather blow out a u-joint then break something inside my axle. been there done that and on more than one occasion.
Have you guys ever heard of using shear bolts as a "driveline fuse"? Designed to be the weaked link in your setup, the shear bolts will let go before anything else does. And the bolts are an easy trail fix apparently. I've heard of a couple people using a version of this setup on the old Jeep Libertys that had the Dana 30A IFS front end. Those diffs were so easy to pop. Anyway take a look at this link, it looks interesting! I know there is another manufacturer of this out there, but this is the only link i had saved:

ht tp://www.powertrainsavers.com/

Last edited by KJJK; 07-10-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Powertrain saver looks like a good setup... Who has any experience with this? And is it all it's cracked up to be? Probably to good to be true.....

Last edited by jasonG; 07-10-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bluejk09
So I just read the whole thread and have a few questions.

1. I plan on running 35s on my d30 with 5.13s, but drive 99% on road (its my dd) with some easy trails a couple times per year (I'm new to offroading). Since I won't see any difficult trails, will I need upgraded axle shafts?
2. Technically, all I need are c gussets, but inner sleeves will only be added assurance, correct? I wouldn't need anything else for my particular situation (primarily road use)- no trusses or outer sleeves?
3. If I had inner sleeves installed, would outer sleeves be overkill in my case?
4. It is my understanding that the gear teeth usually break when the tires are spinning without traction and then suddenly find traction, correct? So on road, do i still have to be cautious with the skinny pedal on dry pavement?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks everyone for your help!
I have run 35s for over a year on my 30. If you are truly going to spend 99% of your time on road and do mild trails, I would say you don't REALLY NEED to do anything. I ran with my 30 with absolutely nothing done to it for about 5,000 miles and I wheeled some pretty tough terrain with it during that time period.

As piece of mind, I added the Evo gusssets and I added LCA skids as I became more adventurous on rocks. That is the only upgrades I have done to my 30 and it has been fine for over 12,000 or so miles with many abusive off-road trips in all sorts of terrain (mud, thick mud, rocks, sand dunes, slippery muddy rocks). I plan to get 5.13s installed shortly along with an Aussie locker for better off-road performance. At that point, my weakest link will be the housing and the axle shafts.

First off, I don't see how I will ever bend or break the axle housing. This is EXTREMELY RARE and often only occurs, as WOL stated on here somewhere from some sort of defect. As far as the shafts, for now they are my weak link and I want them to stay that way to protect me from grenading the expensive gears and locker. When I make the jump to 37s, I plan to get cromo shafts, but only at that point.

So given all this, here is the answers to your questions as far as I see it.

1. No.
2. Sleeves are added assurance, yes, but in your case, or in many cases overkill. Trusses or outer sleeves...No. Unless you really plan to bash your jeep off rocks.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, that is correct. But R&P failures occur more often due to improper install. Or they fail because of a defect int he gears themselves. So, my only advice is to do your research on gear install shops and be careful. Obey the break-in period and all that jazz. Change your diff fluid when its needed. Be as cautious with the skinny pedal as you would normally be after the gears have been in a while. Like anything with vehicles, over time parts develop a pattern of wear. So over time, they will wear in more and you will be better off.

I am no expert but I hope this all helps.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone else has any input since most of the post where almost a year ago and some people might have upgraded there stuff. Wanted to see what they might have to say since the change.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott

I'm still running a 30...my rear 44 already broke!!
What broke and why?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still running 30 in the front and 44 in the rear and I wheel often and have not had any problems. What broke? I'm curious!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yah that will do it! Chromely axle shafts are a must!

Quick Reply: Modded Dana 30 vs Stock Dana 44