Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modded Dana 30 vs Stock Dana 44

Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking at those RCV shafts and thought that was the way to go but WOL makes a great point about them being super strong and if they dont break something else will which could potentially be anything.. i currently have c-gussets on my d30 and will be re-gearing to 4:88's and a aussie up front so i can run 35's. is a axle truss a good idea like the one rockrawler has? i figure its less of a hassle to weld on than inner sleeves..also there is a company that makes outer sleeves that weld on and they claim 45% increase in axle strength. any thoughts..

Last edited by roguejk; 02-24-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmick33
Are there any other good selectable lockers besides arb?
ox lockers would be something to look into, but pricey as well. i dont know of anyone running them though so i have no real feedback on them.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

I've heard of auburn elockers but dont know of anyone thats had any experience w/ em. I'm interested in air-locker alternatives as well. I know of several people who have had problems w/ air leaks on the arb's.

I've been thinking about regearing and adding lockers after $$ allows. What do you guys think about adding a 30 spline chromo shaft for the d30 during a gear & locker install? 30 splines allows for a much stronger r&p, so that would effectivly eliminate that weak link.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmick33
Are there any other good selectable lockers besides arb?
EATON LOCKERS They are electric my cousin runs them with no prob. I just ordered mine. They run abt. 750.00 or so each. He has onboard air so I just use his!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
I've heard of auburn elockers but dont know of anyone thats had any experience w/ em. I'm interested in air-locker alternatives as well. I know of several people who have had problems w/ air leaks on the arb's.

I've been thinking about regearing and adding lockers after $$ allows. What do you guys think about adding a 30 spline chromo shaft for the d30 during a gear & locker install? 30 splines allows for a much stronger r&p, so that would effectivly eliminate that weak link.
Chromo shafts or stock, your r&p size does not change. One doesn't have anything to do with the others strength. R&P on a D-30 is naturally weak by nature. I have 5:13's which are weaker than say 4:88's which are a little weaker than say stock 3:73 or 3:21's.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

note that i was talking about upgrading to a 30 spline shaft, not the stock 27 spline. this would effectively allow the r&p to be the same size as a rubis r&p, and i dont hear anyone saying 5.13s are fragile in a rubi
Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
note that i was talking about upgrading to a 30 spline shaft, not the stock 27 spline. this would effectively allow the r&p to be the same size as a rubis r&p, and i dont hear anyone saying 5.13s are fragile in a rubi
Doesn't matter. R&P are the same size regardless of spline count. Want bigger R&P? Move up to a D-44 or even a D-60. Rubi's run D-44's which are bigger diameter ring and a bigger pinion than 30's and like wise a 60 is even bigger than a 44. Power is transfered from pinion to ring which turns carrier or locker (or in some cases both). Shafts go into carrier or locker obviously. Changing internally what is in your carrier such as upgrading to an Aussie locker will give you the ability to have a higher spline count but won't give you bigger gear sizes. It is what it is.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mvmarketer
Doesn't matter. R&P are the same size regardless of spline count. Want bigger R&P? Move up to a D-44 or even a D-60. Rubi's run D-44's which are bigger diameter ring and a bigger pinion than 30's and like wise a 60 is even bigger than a 44. Power is transfered from pinion to ring which turns carrier or locker (or in some cases both). Shafts go into carrier or locker obviously. Changing internally what is in your carrier such as upgrading to an Aussie locker will give you the ability to have a higher spline count but won't give you bigger gear sizes. It is what it is.
I see, so a 30 spline shaft won't really make any significant difference in r&p strenght, or really anything else for that matter.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a great article on Axle Basics here:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/j...er-axle-basics.

This should help you visualize the differences between all the various axle parts and how they fit together.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
It increases the strength of the axle shaft itself I believe...
correct. a 30 spline shaft would only increase the strength of the shaft. there are packages sold by superior that include an arb locker and 30 spline chromoly shafts and it is sold as a "super 30 kit"

Quick Reply: Modded Dana 30 vs Stock Dana 44