Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality

Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of factors involved, but yes, people are losing driveshafts with as little as 2.5". (total lift height, 2door or 4door, auto or manual, axle re-centered or shifted to the side, disconnected or not, shorter shocks or longer travel, etc)

In general:
-2doors have more issues with rear shafts than 4doors
-Auto's have more issues with front shafts than manuals
-Disconnecting let's the axle drop further
-Front axle being offset is better than centered (driveshaft/tranny clearance on auto's)
-Shorter shocks reduce the amount of axle droop.
etc...
So would front and rear adjustable lower control arms and front and rear adjustable trackbars on a 2-door auto, hardtop, longer shocks and off-road bumpers prevent driveshaft issues?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 20JK10
So would front and rear adjustable lower control arms and front and rear adjustable trackbars on a 2-door auto, hardtop, longer shocks and off-road bumpers prevent driveshaft issues?
Actually some of that will make it worse. If you have longer shocks it will allow the axel to droop more and thus tear the boot. Regardless if you all that what is a few hundred for a drive shaft?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

All this talk of ruining drive shafts with 3'' lifts has me a bit scared. I have a 2 door x with a 3.5 inch suspension lift with bilstein shocks with 33s am i in danger of breaking a drive shaft?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I fully suggest the 2.5 BB (teraflex or Rough Country-w/ their 2.2 shocks)... I run 33 w/ the RC set-up for 3 years, and wheel pretty good an have had no issues; this goes for the highway as well.. I think my on road handling actually got a bit better...I am going to go to 35s and will not have to add anymore lift... Plenty of room.. I just have to work on the power issues... Chip first, then regear....
Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by adicus8
All this talk of ruining drive shafts with 3'' lifts has me a bit scared. I have a 2 door x with a 3.5 inch suspension lift with bilstein shocks with 33s am i in danger of breaking a drive shaft?
honestly, nobody can answer that. There are just too many variables involved. Some people with over 4" have had no issues and are still driving on stock shafts. Others with as little as 2.5" are losing shafts.

One thing I forgot to add to the list above is ... luck...

All you can do is take a good look at your specific setup, factor in how and where you drive, and start making some educated guesses. But my opinion, a 2door with 3.5+ inches is on borrowed time where the driveshafts are concerned...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

So you're saying it would be better to go with shock extenders?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Would these driveshafts be ideal for a 2.5-3" lift on a 2-door auto?

J.E. Reel Front 1310 HD
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=5649

J.E. Reel Rear 1310 HD
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...12&partID=5647
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Listen very carefully, get a coil leveling kit from teraflex, a set of spidertrak spacers, and 285 75 16's. Your suspencen will work great, you can keep your shocks and, you wont need to regear nor, will your gas mileage be affected.
keep it simple stupid...the kiss method
Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawnted
I pick up my Black 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S Wednesday. It comes with the 255/75/R17 tires. It will be a Daily Driver for me, 80% of my driving is on the highway at interstate speeds so ride is important. I do not get to wheel that often. My goal is to get some tires that are 33 or 35 inches (still deciding as I do not wheel much and it being a daily driver and all), without killing the ride quality and MPG. I understand it will drop but not looking to tank it completely. I will be going with Duratracs and 16 inch wheels. Here is what I am thinking of doing, and would like some feedback if what I have in mind is necessary/good choices.

Option 1:
Add Teraflex Coil Based Leveling Kit - Seems as though the only down side to this is that I cannot fit 35s if I ever chose to, seems as though the ride quality is unchanged, no shocks needed, and you get ~1.5 inches of lift.

Option 2:
Get a cheaper 2.5 inch coil lift eg. RC 2.5. - From what I have read the ride quality is diminished a decent amount so this may not really be an option for me

Option 3:
Get a TF 2.5" coil lift with extensions (or BB instead) - I have not found much information on ride quality with this lift, but it would be somewhat inexpensive (~$450) and would fit 35s down the road...any feedback on the ride quality?

Option 4:
Go full out and get the TF 2.5" Coil lift with shocks - I have read that the ride is more stiff. Is it bad for a daily driver? Would it look right with 33s? This seems to fit all my criteria, but it is the most expensive option.

If a gear change would be necessary I would abandon these changes. Although I have found some info posted by "TEEJ" that seems to think some of the posts talking about regearing for 35s may be somewhat overblown (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l=1#post480747). How does everyone feel about that? Was hoping I could just get a superchips and be done with it.

Thanks
I have also done a lot of reading about the OME kit. I have read 2 threads about the coil options, both threads seem pretty conflicting. One says DO NOT get the HD coils unless you are adding A LOT of weight or your ride will suffer. One says, add HD coils no matter what the ride is great.

So, If you plan on running bumpers, but no winch, would you need the HD coils? Or would the standard do?

Lets say, 33s, with the option to go to 35s, front and rear bumpers, soft top, 4dr, auto.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 AM
JK Newbie

The OME kit is great but probably gives even more lift than the 2 1/2 inch TeraFlex lift. Then your back to control arms and track bars. They will cost more than the lift and on a daily driver that spends any time at 65mph + you are going to want them.

I think anything bigger than the TeraFlex spring leveling kit can turn into a slippery slope, just my humble, uninformed opinion. CM

Quick Reply: Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality