Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality

Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawnted
How do you mitigate this?
you can install an aftermarket u-joint style drive shaft. they are smaller in diameter and will not have this problem. OR, you can make sure NOT to exceed 2.5" of lift or install shocks that allow for more travel than the OME's.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem with getting a 2.5" coil lift with shocks is that it will in fact yield you closer to 3"+. at this height and with the amount of droop your new shocks will provide, you will end up damaging your front drive shaft the first time you go wheeling. also, if you're happy with the ride quality your jeep has now, changing out the coils and shocks will alter it and usually in the firmer direction.
Why would a 2.5" coil lift damage the driveshaft? I thought you didn't need to get new driveshafts with a 2.5" lift.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 20JK10
Why would a 2.5" coil lift damage the driveshaft? I thought you didn't need to get new driveshafts with a 2.5" lift.
There are lots of factors involved, but yes, people are losing driveshafts with as little as 2.5". (total lift height, 2door or 4door, auto or manual, axle re-centered or shifted to the side, disconnected or not, shorter shocks or longer travel, etc)

In general:
-2doors have more issues with rear shafts than 4doors
-Auto's have more issues with front shafts than manuals
-Disconnecting let's the axle drop further
-Front axle being offset is better than centered (driveshaft/tranny clearance on auto's)
-Shorter shocks reduce the amount of axle droop.
etc...

Even if none of that fits your specific build --> when you lift, the axles are at steeper angles, and the little boots at the tcase ends of both shafts will be 'pinched'. This will eventually lead to to them wearing through, spitting grease, drying out, making noise, and seizing. Fun stuff, huh...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There are lots of factors involved, but yes, people are losing driveshafts with as little as 2.5". (total lift height, 2door or 4door, auto or manual, axle re-centered or shifted to the side, disconnected or not, shorter shocks or longer travel, etc)

In general:
-2doors have more issues with rear shafts than 4doors
-Auto's have more issues with front shafts than manuals
-Disconnecting let's the axle drop further
-Front axle being offset is better than centered (driveshaft/tranny clearance on auto's)
-Shorter shocks reduce the amount of axle droop.
etc...

Even if none of that fits your specific build --> when you lift, the axles are at steeper angles, and the little boots at the tcase ends of both shafts will be 'pinched'. This will eventually lead to to them wearing through, spitting grease, drying out, making noise, and seizing. Fun stuff, huh...
Sounds like a headache....Maybe I should just go with a leveling kit...I had no idea as little as 2.5" coil kit would require LCAs, track bar, and a new drive shaft.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

None of it is 'required'. It's all a preference based on your budget and your preference and tolerance.

If having the axles offcenter doesn't bug you, then don't worry about it. If the handling being flighty doesn't bug you, don't worry about caster correction. Aftermarket driveshafts may be an issue, as you actually do need to adjust the pinion angle on them, but you could always just find a cheap replacement stock driveshaft from someone that upgraded...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
None of it is 'required'. It's all a preference based on your budget and your preference and tolerance.

If having the axles offcenter doesn't bug you, then don't worry about it. If the handling being flighty doesn't bug you, don't worry about caster correction. Aftermarket driveshafts may be an issue, as you actually do need to adjust the pinion angle on them, but you could always just find a cheap replacement stock driveshaft from someone that upgraded...
Thats true, thanks for the info. However, I think the drive shaft thing is enough to deter me.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

I have had the same dilemma. I have a 2.5 teraflex bb. I wanted 35's but they won't fit. I don't off road much so I didnt know what to do. I talked to the local tire guys and they suggested 295/70/17 they are 33.5 tall so a little bigger than 33's but they are only 12 wide not 12.5. Hope this helps
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawnted
Did you add any adjustable control arms to fix the flighty steering that others see?
Nope, I'm running it just as it came out of the box.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Junkie

Lots of possibilities. I ran the Tera 2.5 coil out of the box for quite some time. I added some adjustable track bars and still using the stock arms. As mentioned I tore my boot on my front drive shaft a year+ ago and still running. I think it is getting close to being but had a good run.

If you are truly concerned about ride quality get some better shocks. The stock shocks are crap. I would look at OME or Bilstein. That alone will improve your ride quality.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayhawkJeep
Lots of possibilities. I ran the Tera 2.5 coil out of the box for quite some time. I added some adjustable track bars and still using the stock arms. As mentioned I tore my boot on my front drive shaft a year+ ago and still running. I think it is getting close to being but had a good run.

If you are truly concerned about ride quality get some better shocks. The stock shocks are crap. I would look at OME or Bilstein. That alone will improve your ride quality.
After all the drive shaft talk, and subsequent searching, I am really just trying to figure out what I can get away with without changing the drive shaft or regearing. I may be going with the OME Standard 2" Kit with 33s.

Quick Reply: Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality