Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality

Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawnted
Sounds like I need to be thinking leveling kit or Budget Boost if I want to retain ride quality as is. Works for me since they are the cheapest options. I guess I have a lot (more) to read up on. I feel like my head is spinning from all the threads so far
Like wayoflife mentioned earlier, if your plan for now is to run 33s, just put the 33s on and call it a day. You can trim liners and air dams as and when you notice rubbing, and this will give you plenty of time to read up on and decide your future plan for the JK and make an educated decision down the line.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawnted
Auto, 3.73 gears. I saw that chart in the FAQ, but his comments were making me second guess some of that, due to the mph differences, odometer differences etc.
You will want to recalibrate for any change in tire size or gear ratio. And do yourself a huge favor!! Don't base your auto-transmission gearing decision from the opinions of guys with manuals!! Completely different transmission ratios.

One plus for you with those 3.73's, you can turn OD Off and be around the same rpm as 5.13's with OD On. It certainly will not be an optimal setup, but it lets you run 35's with acceptable performance.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you're just looking to clear 35" tires and want to retain your ride quality as is, i would recommend getting a 2.5" coil spacer lift with shock extensions. with it, you will be riding on the same coils and shocks.
I agree and think this would be your best option considering all that you've mentioned. It sounds like the added height / lift is something you desire and like the look of...so the TF Budget Boost will give you the 2.5" and keep the same ride....plus leave you open for 35" tires if you get the itch later down the road.

However, based upon everything you've posted thus far, I can already tell that 35" tires are what you really want.....but it doesn't sound like you're quite ready for the required prep and mods that go along with them. If and when you do go to 35's, be ready to invest in a rear bumper and tire carrier to support your oversized spare, and with all that added weight, now start thinking about future mods and the need to swap those coil spacers for the originally debated TF coil lift with shocks.

Then at a minimum, and even with 33's, I would strongly recommend the Superchips Flashpaq and even though it's debatable....re gearing will eventually be in your future.

If you do get the TF coil lift and shocks up front in lieu of the spacers, and ride quality is top priority, I would also get yourself some adjustable front lower control arms and potentially some front/rear adjustable track bars or relocation brackets.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the TF Leveling Kit & 33's & I'm extremely happy with the look & the ride. I went with 305's instead of 285's because I liked the look of the wider tire better. I think it's perfect for a daily driver to make a Jeep look like a Jeep! I ran the leveling kit with the stock tires for a while & didn't notice any difference in ride quality. I also have an auto with 3.73's & I haven't noticed any difference in power with these tires in the few days I've had them. Good luck with your decision!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030357.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	116576   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030355.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	116577  
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the teraflex 2.5 BB with shock extensions and I'm on 33s. It rides pretty much the same as stock, with the exception of a tiny bit of flighty steering on the highway due to a decreased Caster angle (some front adjustable control arms can fix that if you are so inclined; so far, it doesn't bother me that much and I've had it one year). Overall I'm happy with it and it is my daily driver, and I do offroad it as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Teraflex 2.5 coils w/shocks and think it rides better now than stock. Still running the stock wheels and tires.

It looks taller in the front end in this pic, but it's not. The parking lot at work is sloped for drainage. Im reality it sits pretty close to level from front to back.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marauder79
I have the Teraflex 2.5 coils w/shocks and think it rides better now than stock. Still running the stock wheels and tires.

It looks taller in the front end in this pic, but it's not. The parking lot at work is sloped for drainage. Im reality it sits pretty close to level from front to back.

Did you add any adjustable control arms to fix the flighty steering that others see?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

honestly, for your purposes, i would just say run 33's now and call it a day. the only time you'll see rubbing is if you wheel your jeep and flex it out on harder trails. if you want the extra clearance, just get the leveling kit. if you really want to get up to 35's after that, you can always cut your fenders or buy a nice set of bushwackers as they will give you the clearance you need. of course, going this route means that nothing on your suspension has to change and you get what you want
I'm coming around to the same train of thought. (Today anyway)
I've got a CRD Sahara with 18" rims. 4.1 gears. 6 speedMT
So when it comes around to replacing the 840 Bridgestones which are 32's I should be able to fit 33's Ok !
Are there any better shocks you could suggest that would smooth out that bit of a 'buckboard' ride you get on some roads and help stop the 'groans' I sometimes get from the 'other seat'

Last edited by RLT; 01-10-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

I also bought a 2011 Rubi in Oct. Had same questions as you. I went with a Teraflex 2.5 BB. Very easy install, great step by step write up on form with pics. Lift was 3" when done, ride quality was the same. I got the package that had shock extenders since i have the rubi shocks. I also so put on spidertracs wheel spacers to widen the stance and prevent rubbing when offroad. You may also want to get teraflex adjustable lower control arms to bring everything back to spec, and i"m also waiting for the superchips flashpaq to update to 2011.
I'm very hapy with my lift, and it has 32's. Also my engine woke around 2k, night and day difference. I have the itch for 35's and a four inch lift but that requires a lot more changes that i'm not ready for yet.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

at this height and with the amount of droop your new shocks will provide, you will end up damaging your front drive shaft the first time you go wheeling.
How do you mitigate this?

Quick Reply: Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality