Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality

Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality

I pick up my Black 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S Wednesday. It comes with the 255/75/R17 tires. It will be a Daily Driver for me, 80% of my driving is on the highway at interstate speeds so ride is important. I do not get to wheel that often. My goal is to get some tires that are 33 or 35 inches (still deciding as I do not wheel much and it being a daily driver and all), without killing the ride quality and MPG. I understand it will drop but not looking to tank it completely. I will be going with Duratracs and 16 inch wheels. Here is what I am thinking of doing, and would like some feedback if what I have in mind is necessary/good choices.

Option 1:
Add Teraflex Coil Based Leveling Kit - Seems as though the only down side to this is that I cannot fit 35s if I ever chose to, seems as though the ride quality is unchanged, no shocks needed, and you get ~1.5 inches of lift.

Option 2:
Get a cheaper 2.5 inch coil lift eg. RC 2.5. - From what I have read the ride quality is diminished a decent amount so this may not really be an option for me

Option 3:
Get a TF 2.5" coil lift with extensions (or BB instead) - I have not found much information on ride quality with this lift, but it would be somewhat inexpensive (~$450) and would fit 35s down the road...any feedback on the ride quality?

Option 4:
Go full out and get the TF 2.5" Coil lift with shocks - I have read that the ride is more stiff. Is it bad for a daily driver? Would it look right with 33s? This seems to fit all my criteria, but it is the most expensive option.

If a gear change would be necessary I would abandon these changes. Although I have found some info posted by "TEEJ" that seems to think some of the posts talking about regearing for 35s may be somewhat overblown (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l=1#post480747). How does everyone feel about that? Was hoping I could just get a superchips and be done with it.

Thanks

Last edited by Hawnted; 01-10-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawnted

Option 2:
Get a cheaper 2.5 inch coil lift eg. RC 2.5. - From what I have read the ride quality is diminished a decent amount so this may not really be an option for me
If you're looking for ride quality on-road. Just skip RC, I've had mine for a little over a year now and it's a rough ride. I can't wait to upgrade to something better.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
If you're looking for ride quality on-road. Just skip RC, I've had mine for a little over a year now and it's a rough ride. I can't wait to upgrade to something better.
That is what I have heard. So that leaves the other 3 options.
JK Jedi

Based on the options you're looking at, here's what I'd suggest:

IF you don't foresee going to 35s down the line (and if you don't wheel that much, I'd recommend staying with 33s to avoid other expenses that come alongwith going to 35s), Option 1 will be the least expensive and economical way to get some lift and have 33s - you could also fit 33s in without a lift (may have to do a little bit of trimming).

IF you foresee going to 35s down the line, I'd definitely go with the TeraFlex 2.5" with shocks now and call it done. Most people that have used that lift have netted a little more than 2.5", so you should be plenty good to clear 35s down the line and won't look bad with 33s for now either.
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

honestly, for your purposes, i would just say run 33's now and call it a day. the only time you'll see rubbing is if you wheel your jeep and flex it out on harder trails. if you want the extra clearance, just get the leveling kit. if you really want to get up to 35's after that, you can always cut your fenders or buy a nice set of bushwackers as they will give you the clearance you need. of course, going this route means that nothing on your suspension has to change and you get what you want
Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
honestly, for your purposes, i would just say run 33's now and call it a day. the only time you'll see rubbing is if you wheel your jeep and flex it out on harder trails. if you want the extra clearance, just get the leveling kit. if you really want to get up to 35's after that, you can always cut your fenders or buy a nice set of bushwackers as they will give you the clearance you need. of course, going this route means that nothing on your suspension has to change and you get what you want
I do like the look of the jeep lifted 2.5, honestly with the leveling kit (1.5) I cannot tell much difference in pictures, will I be able to see the difference in person?

If you are not doing much wheeling (or rather any serious wheeling) what other expenses would you incur going with the TF 2.5 coil with shocks and 35s, doesnt the kit come with everything you need?

Also, if your not adding any heavy equipment, any real need to do the Coil Leveling kit over the Spacer Leveling kit?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

TF 2.5" coils should give a bit over 3" on a 4door. You will want to consider centering both axles, and adding some caster correction.

Read this one in the suspension faq's:
"What is Caster? How much do I need?"

Wouldn't hurt to read through the rest of the FAQ's also...

Also, if your not adding any heavy equipment, any real need to do the Coil Leveling kit over the Spacer Leveling kit?
Coils handle extra weight better. If you don't add a lot of weight, you'll be fine with spacers.

If a gear change would be necessary I would abandon these changes. Although I have found some info posted by "TEEJ" that seems to think some of the posts talking about regearing for 35s may be somewhat overblown (https://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...l=1#post480747). How does everyone feel about that? Was hoping I could just get a superchips and be done with it.
Auto or manual? His comments are specific to manuals. Auto's are a whole different animal. Open the drivetrain faq's and start plugging numbers into the rpm charts. (use actual tire heights, not mfg's specs)

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-10-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawnted
I do like the look of the jeep lifted 2.5, honestly with the leveling kit (1.5) I cannot tell much difference in pictures, will I be able to see the difference in person?

If you are not doing much wheeling (or rather any serious wheeling) what other expenses would you incur going with the TF 2.5 coil with shocks and 35s, doesnt the kit come with everything you need?

even in person, it's hard to tell the difference between a stock jk and one that has a 1.5" leveling kit installed.

the problem with getting a 2.5" coil lift with shocks is that it will in fact yield you closer to 3"+. at this height and with the amount of droop your new shocks will provide, you will end up damaging your front drive shaft the first time you go wheeling. also, if you're happy with the ride quality your jeep has now, changing out the coils and shocks will alter it and usually in the firmer direction.

if you're just looking to clear 35" tires and want to retain your ride quality as is, i would recommend getting a 2.5" coil spacer lift with shock extensions. with it, you will be riding on the same coils and shocks.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
TF 2.5" coils should give a bit over 3" on a 4door. You will want to consider centering both axles, and adding some caster correction.

Read this one in the suspension faq's:
"What is Caster? How much do I need?"

Wouldn't hurt to read through the rest of the FAQ's also...

Coils handle extra weight better. If you don't add a lot of weight, you'll be fine with spacers.

Auto or manual? His comments are specific to manuals. Auto's are a whole different animal. Open the drivetrain faq's and start plugging numbers into the rpm charts. (use actual tire heights, not mfg's specs)
Auto, 3.73 gears. I saw that chart in the FAQ, but his comments were making me second guess some of that, due to the mph differences, odometer differences etc.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like I need to be thinking leveling kit or Budget Boost if I want to retain ride quality as is. Works for me since they are the cheapest options. I guess I have a lot (more) to read up on. I feel like my head is spinning from all the threads so far

Quick Reply: Mod Suggestions - Ride Quality