Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mod stock airbox to be more water tight?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod stock airbox to be more water tight?

So I was thinking of getting a snorkel until I found out how proud these company's are for a plastic pipe.

I don't plan to go windshield deep into rivers, but do like playing in the mud and maybe doing some river crossings that are tire deep or so.

So Im thinking about modding the stock airbox to make it LESS susceptible to taking water in and hydrolocking my pride and joy

First thing I thought was to block off the drain holes on the bottom of the box and maybe install a "one-way" type drain, so the box can still drain but there wouldn't be a big hole for water to enter.

I was also considering modding the factory snorkel somehow.... But haven't any ideas yet.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to extend your breather tubes.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gunbo75
Don't forget to extend your breather tubes.
Yes! Will definitely be doing that as well
Old 02-23-2014, 01:47 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Tight

I've always heard, "Take the path of least resistance".. Meaning.. the more bends or angles one puts into this design.. the more air flow restrictions. I would and have done so (with our 99) create a custom air box that connected right into the carb without any ups, downs, around the corner bends. Sure It looks "mad maxish" but one must realize.. my wife and I hand painted the ole 99 camo.. with red accents, hi-lift jack mounted on the hood, KYB shocks..etc
Old 02-23-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been kicking around doing something similar to what is in the link below, a one way valve. Great idea and quite inexpensive.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-drain-249620/
Old 02-23-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a great idea!

I also had a idea from when I used to own a subaru wrx.

It had a cold air intake that went down Into the fender. The intake kit ( company injen) used this shield made out of fabric that slid over the cone filter.

The product is called- HydroShield and its by injen

Its specifically made for this purpose of blocking big splashes of water to you filter, while is just water resistant and not water proof, it still might help against a huge slash or a brief dunk for a split second that might normally suck up some water.

Here's the link for the product.
Injen - : Pre Filters - Performance Air Intake Systems, Exhaust Systems, Turbo Components, and Air Filters for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV's, Boats, and more!

Quick Reply: Mod stock airbox to be more water tight?