Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mishimoto radiator for JK Hemi Conversion(AEV)

Old 03-25-2021, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mishimoto radiator for JK Hemi Conversion(AEV)

Anyone have any feedback on the Mishimoto radiator for JK Hemi Conversion(AEV)?
https://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-wrang...2007-2018.html
Thx
Old 03-25-2021, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Have not seen any Mishimoto talk in quite some time, even for the 3.8/3.6L engines. I don't know if people had such a bad taste in their mouth from earlier issues, or if improvements have been made and there have not been a lot of issues; therefore, not a lot of squawking about em in general.

It seems the general consensus is that Aluminum rads just don't handle the flexy nature of the wrangler frame very well and have a short life before a leak pops up. If it's just a street rig life probably is much better. I'm currently trying a Griffen aluminum in my jeep (just 3.6L) as it was larger than factory and not didn't cost a whole lot more, so guess I'll find how long it takes to fail. I realize that didn't really address your specific question, but I think your concern with that radiator is going to be more about aluminum holding up over time more than the cooling capacity for your hemi. I bet that jeep is fun to drive!
Old 03-25-2021, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Have not seen any Mishimoto talk in quite some time, even for the 3.8/3.6L engines. I don't know if people had such a bad taste in their mouth from earlier issues, or if improvements have been made and there have not been a lot of issues; therefore, not a lot of squawking about em in general.

It seems the general consensus is that Aluminum rads just don't handle the flexy nature of the wrangler frame very well and have a short life before a leak pops up. If it's just a street rig life probably is much better. I'm currently trying a Griffen aluminum in my jeep (just 3.6L) as it was larger than factory and not didn't cost a whole lot more, so guess I'll find how long it takes to fail. I realize that didn't really address your specific question, but I think your concern with that radiator is going to be more about aluminum holding up over time more than the cooling capacity for your hemi. I bet that jeep is fun to drive!
Yeah seems like theres mixed reviews and yeah the 6.4 puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Here is a tip to make a radiator last with / due to the flexing. Take out those 2 long bolts at the top holding the rad in and put some BLUE loctite on them and reinstall with about 1/8" - 3/16" slop before they tighten up. Allows the rad to move independent of the frame it is mounted on and absorbs flex.
JKJB which town are you in?
Old 03-25-2021, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Here is a tip to make a radiator last with / due to the flexing. Take out those 2 long bolts at the top holding the rad in and put some BLUE loctite on them and reinstall with about 1/8" - 3/16" slop before they tighten up. Allows the rad to move independent of the frame it is mounted on and absorbs flex.
I did this on the last radiator I installed. Those radiators are pretty well situated in there that the 1/8- 3/16" space isn't going to let the radiator fall out.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Hey neighbor, im in Edmonton
Thanks for the tip
Old 03-25-2021, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do you all think about these options:

1). AEV Rad (1 Year warranty)

2). Northern Radiator ( 1 yr or 2 yr warranty)

3). Mishimoto - $920 (lifetime warranty)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I have little faith in the Mishimoto, there's just been so little good posted about them through the years. Maybe things have changed, but it's tough once you've got a bad reputation.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

"Lifetime warranty" sounds good and all, till you're on your 3rd replacement . At some point you get tired of performing the labor and units failing.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Woudn't we all just kill for one of those custom brass rad shops that used to be 2 to a block!!

JKJB - I am lucky and was one of the reasons I chose the 5.3 Chev and that was I get to use the stock Jeep rad.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto radiator for JK Hemi Conversion(AEV)