Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mishimoto Radiator

Old 02-14-2017, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkundingerii
the $390 price that this product is selling for.
What?
For a Chinese core and some welded on end tanks?
I didn't even realize this was the price point, and that makes the whole situation even worse. I ASSumed these were selling at what any other janky overseas unit would run.

I hate it for ya, and hope they do the right thing.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landoawd
What?
For a Chinese core and some welded on end tanks?
I didn't even realize this was the price point, and that makes the whole situation even worse. I ASSumed these were selling at what any other janky overseas unit would run.

I hate it for ya, and hope they do the right thing.
Tell me about it. Live and learn I guess. I already bought a Griffin replacement, from your neck of the woods and 100% American made. I work with FCA on a lot of vehicle development projects and know where they are getting their Mopar units from and the failure rate.......... that's why I'm not buying an OEM replacement. They might as well be made by Mishimoto

Anyway, I'm sure Mishi won't do anything to save some face. They don't care. If they did they would stop selling this garbage.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

I work with FCA on a lot of vehicle development projects and know where they are getting their Mopar units from and the failure rate.......... that's why I'm not buying an OEM replacement. They might as well be made by Mishimoto
I'm still curious about the OE failure rate, as it relates to total vehicles over a time period. I see mentions here and there, but I enjoy data.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, according to Phomma in your customer service, and I quote,

"Mishimoto is not having any issues with these radiators nor are we aware of any quality issues involving our radiators and the Jeep JK".

So, assuming that this is the stance of Mishimoto's customer service, can you tell us all how many "lifetime warranty" replacements Mishimoto has sent out for P/N - MMRAD-WRA-07 over the past 12 months.

I think your customers would be happy to know this figure. I know I have now had two warranty claims in 4 months, and from this thread there are probably at least a dozen more.

I'd be happy to send my radiator back, tell me where you'd like it sent and pay me $30 (warranty replacement shipping cost) and I'll send it as soon as I remove it.

I'm not looking to get into a whole debate whether or not Mishimoto is producing a quality product, the proof is in the pudding (2 radiator failures in a combined 6000 miles). My time and the reliability of my vehicle is far more important than the $390 price that this product is selling for. I do not and will not accept a replacement for a third time. At this point if Mishimoto wants to save face, they should offer a refund for the receipt (proof necessary) amount should your customers deem that necessary.

To have to call your customer service have a debate about "if there is an issue" is piss poor.
bkundingerii,

I believe there may have been a miscommunication within our customer service. I think what Phomma may have been meaning to say is that we are not aware of a direct manufacturing cause of these issues. Either way, I can see how his response would feel misleading and frustrating and I will speak to them about how they address these issues in the future. We are certainly not dismissing the issues that customers are having with some of these radiators and want to do everything we can to make them right.

Our goal for warranty claim rates is always 0%, and some of our products come close to that; but as is true with any large scale manufacturing, a percentage will fail. That is why we offer our lifetime warranty and keep an eye out for trends, as we are doing here. With that said, I understand your want for a refund and that is perfectly acceptable within the terms of our warranty. If you've already started a warranty claim and have a claim number that I could reference, I will personally ensure that customer service gets that issued to you.

I'm also going to PM you in regards to having your failed radiator sent back for analysis; we will cover the cost of shipping, of course.

I apologize again for the frustration this has caused and hope we can make this right for you (and others) as soon as possible,

-Steve
Old 02-14-2017, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

I'm still curious about the OE failure rate, as it relates to total vehicles over a time period. I see mentions here and there, but I enjoy data.
landoawd,

I don't have any specific numbers that I can quote but I know they did an evaluation for model year 14 & 15 where they were having numerous leaks due to their Tier 1 supplier (won't name). The weighed the cost of a recall (and potential embarrassment) and decided it would be cheaper to do warranty repairs as they rolled in. This is all hearsay so no one @ FCA will acknowledge any of this. It boiled down to a failure point on the driver's side where the aluminum core was crimped into the nylon side tank. They suspected that the crimp was overdone and cracked the nylon. Thus, leading to a hairline fracture that would only leak over time. This is why so many haven't seen leaks until 20K+ miles. They can smell the coolant burning but no visible leak until the hairline fracture opened up a little.
The following users liked this post:
scbroder (10-10-2021)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

landoawd,

I don't have any specific numbers that I can quote but I know they did an evaluation for model year 14 & 15 where they were having numerous leaks due to their Tier 1 supplier (won't name). The weighed the cost of a recall (and potential embarrassment) and decided it would be cheaper to do warranty repairs as they rolled in. This is all hearsay so no one @ FCA will acknowledge any of this. It boiled down to a failure point on the driver's side where the aluminum core was crimped into the nylon side tank. They suspected that the crimp was overdone and cracked the nylon. Thus, leading to a hairline fracture that would only leak over time. This is why so many haven't seen leaks until 20K+ miles. They can smell the coolant burning but no visible leak until the hairline fracture opened up a little.
Fair enough. I've got 11k to go to hit the "magic" 20k.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

If that interests you, then you'll want to apply for a job in the warranty/quality departments in FCA and be assigned responsibility for that part.

There will be a few people who will have that information.
1. The quality engineer at FCA who is assigned responsibility for that part.
2. The quality engineer for the supplier that manufactures that part if FCA does not directly manufacture it.
3. Anyone above those individuals in the food chain that they directly or indirectly report who have a stake in having that information.

The information is there, just like the information is likely available in regards to Mushimoto's failure rates. Nobody is going to just publish it and make it available to the public.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
If that interests you, then you'll want to apply for a job in the warranty/quality departments in FCA and be assigned responsibility for that part.

I'll pass.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default Resolution?

So, it's been over a month since Mishimoto has had their test vehicle and I've been dealing with their customer service.

Any resolution?

How is the test vehicle going?

I've been working with their customer service and they want their defective product back to study. I agreed but only if they give me a refund. They seemed to be complying. They sent me the prepaid shipping label to send back the defective rad., and are pretending to be working on the credit (don't know of any company that takes 4 weeks to process a credit). I still haven't gotten a credit.

They alluded to "possible chassis flex" as the problem, and according to Steve at Mishimoto they now have a test vehicle (had for weeks now) and we haven't heard anything. I'm guessing this isn't the case or we would have heard.

Not getting an update is telling, at least for me.

Now the question is, will they come through with their promise? Will they credit me the purchase price under the stipulation that I return the defective unit? Stay tuned, I'll let you all know where this goes, and don't hold your breath.

Oh, and here is the pulled radiator, first pic is next to the Griffin, the second is where the leak is, in the exact same place as the first (Mishimoto) one I replaced the Mishimoto "lifetime (which was 2 weeks)" warranty.

Last edited by bkundingerii; 03-06-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 AM
JK Newbie

So, it's been over a month since Mishimoto has had their test vehicle and I've been dealing with their customer service.

Any resolution?

How is the test vehicle going?

I've been working with their customer service and they want their defective product back to study. I agreed but only if they give me a refund. They seemed to be complying. They sent me the prepaid shipping label to send back the defective rad., and are pretending to be working on the credit (don't know of any company that takes 4 weeks to process a credit). I still haven't gotten a credit.

They alluded to "possible chassis flex" as the problem, and according to Steve at Mishimoto they now have a test vehicle (had for weeks now) and we haven't heard anything. I'm guessing this isn't the case or we would have heard.

Not getting an update is telling, at least for me.

Now the question is, will they come through with their promise? Will they credit me the purchase price under the stipulation that I return the defective unit? Stay tuned, I'll let you all know where this goes, and don't hold your breath.

Oh, and here is the pulled radiator, first pic is next to the Griffin, the second is where the leak is, in the exact same place as the first (Mishimoto) one I replaced the Mishimoto "lifetime (which was 2 weeks)" warranty.
Sorry, had an issue uploading the photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3550.JPG
Views:	1346
Size:	1,006.3 KB
ID:	667742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	903.2 KB
ID:	667743  

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Radiator