Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mirror relocation & upgrading head lights

Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror relocation & upgrading head lights

I have two questions. I seem to recall not being able to see the passenger mirror after installing a rugedridge style relocation bracket, is that still the case? And second, is it worth doing a bulb upgrade for the headlights or just replace the whole thing?
Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the whole thing. I tried the bulb upgrade and wish I hadn't wasted the money.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Replace the whole thing. I tried the bulb upgrade and wish I hadn't wasted the money.
^^^totally agree. I replaced bulbs at one point. It made just the slightest difference....mainly just from changing the color of light from yellowish to more white, but didn't have a big impact. The problem is plain and simple the housing. If you want an improvemet, it's going to take the entire fixture. Save the $40 or what not that you would spend on SilverStar bulbs or any others.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phas
I have two questions. I seem to recall not being able to see the passenger mirror after installing a rugedridge style relocation bracket, is that still the case? And second, is it worth doing a bulb upgrade for the headlights or just replace the whole thing?
you can get plain ole 6024 sealedbeam headlights and they would better then the shitty stock Jk headlights. I ran some silverstar 6024 lights for a while till i got my trucklites.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought these on a recommendation from a long time member on this forum, he's been running them for quite a while. They are incredibly bright with a very clean cut off, the low beams flood and the high beams spot. Quality is excellent for the money, they also have a DRL built in but you need to wire that to an ignition hot. The lens says SAE DOT, but I dont think they are DOT approved, you absolutely must aim them properly and check the oncoming cut off so your not blinding other people.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regardless of what you go with be sure to add some dielectric grease to the inside of your connectors, it will make a world of difference down the road.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on the forum on relocation mirrors and you should come up with a bunch of info and opinions. IMO the relocation brackets stink and yes from the ones I have seen they make the passenger side mirror useless I drove a Jeep with them when I was looking to buy. I went with the Rugged Ridge quick release mirrors and couldn't be happier but again you should fine numerous options.
Lights, just replace them. I wouldn't mind LED's but I want them heated since I am in the northeast and not willing to pay the higher prices so went with the IPF HID lights are am planty happy with them. The light is white and a lot better than stock but definitely not like high price LED's so when the LED's come down in price more with more offering heated versions, I may switch over than.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
I bought these on a recommendation from a long time member on this forum, he's been running them for quite a while. They are incredibly bright with a very clean cut off, the low beams flood and the high beams spot. Quality is excellent for the money, they also have a DRL built in but you need to wire that to an ignition hot. The lens says SAE DOT, but I dont think they are DOT approved, you absolutely must aim them properly and check the oncoming cut off so your not blinding other people.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regardless of what you go with be sure to add some dielectric grease to the inside of your connectors, it will make a world of difference down the road.
Every Jeep I have seen with these in have blinded everyone in front of them. They are a terrible driving light and should not be street legal (IMHO). Just the way the lenses are made, I doubt aiming them would fix the issue. They throw a ton of light everywhere and are almost as bad as the ones that are just a bunch of LEDs set up as a couple arrows on a black plastic background. I pass a Jeep like that on my way home a couple times a week and it blinds me every time.

I have the KC Hilites 7" round LED headlight, they are comparable to the Trucklight LEDs. JW Speaker makes the best and brightest that I've seen but you definitely have to pay for them. I'm curious to see the new KC Gravity lights, but those are pretty expensive too.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

I really enjoy the light output from my truck lights led's. bulb upgrade just wasn't worth it to me.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

New headlamps. Without question. Several companies make a decent knock-off of the JW Speaker style LEDs that would be well worth the money. The only one I would avoid are the 13-bulb style headlights. I ran a set of these for all of a day until I realized they were throwing light up down and all over the place. The other style has been satisfactory from two different manufacturers.

Quick Reply: Mirror relocation & upgrading head lights